TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

autoto

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by Mille Pun, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Mille Pun

Mille Pun Member

Autotoll on X and 3

2. Mille Pun

Mille Pun Member

Wrong title

My Q is X and 3 without nose, and how should HK owner place the autotoll? :cool:

3. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Really too early to tell. Just guessing at the moment. At least in Hong Kong we have lots of options because our tags don't have displays or buttons to be pressed.

4. bobhammer

bobhammer Member

I still haven't gone to the service centre to install the autotoll pass, currently, I just hold it out of the window with my barehands lol

5. FequalsMA

FequalsMA Member

not sure if this has been tried on the M.S, but will sticking it on the underside of the frunk work?

6. ediot

ediot Member

it isn't hard at all to "install" it yourself. all i did, was:

1. put the autotoll thinger in a sealable bag. those you use for leftover food etc will do, all it does it protect the thinger from rain / sand etc.

2. open the frunk (front trunk)

3. with your hands, just press down on the "bottom lip" of the car, and the front plastic "grill" will pop out. be a little careful since there's a wire or two attached to it.

4. just tape the autotoll onto the back of the plastic grill, then pop the grill back onto the car

5. close the frunk

6. drive into the sunset via autotoll, smiling.

7. deku

deku Member

The Front bumper should be made of plastics. I believe Tesla service in Hong Kong should be able to help owners with that.

8. OreotheCat

OreotheCat Member

If you taken notice on the NEW owner's manual published Apr 5, you will find something now about installation of Autotoll

9. mingazoid

mingazoid New Member

Not sure if this has been answered already, but I have a new Model S, which does not have the black plastic "nose cone" cowl. Where is the best place to put the autotoll transponder? I stuck it on the windshield as suggested by the Tesla store personnel, but 9/10 times it does not register when I cross the toll booth. Any suggestions aside from holding it out the window every time?

10. AnubisDenko

AnubisDenko Member

I installed it next to the mirror in the black area as described in the manual.

The actual trick was then to not drive faster than 40 km/h through the toll station. If I went faster it didn't work but otherwise always correctly registered.

So it seems the signal is quite week that goes through the windshield.

Cheers
    Oliver

11. garethmchau

garethmchau Member

Has anyone tried sticking it on vertically instead of sideways so the whole thing is in the black area? Otherwise, like Oliver says I have to drive v slow through the gate for it to register.

12. ediot

ediot Member

my tesla is the older gen one with the black plastic nosecone, and i have my autotoll hidden in there. accidentally drove thru a toll station at between 75-80km/b (oops), it still registered.

apparantly you can wrap aluminium/tin foil behind the autotoll nugget if you stick it on the windshield to amplify it, but i haven't tried it myself.

13. garethmchau

garethmchau Member

I stuck the tag on vertically to align with the black bits above the mirror ignoring the wrong autotoll advice not to and it works a dream. I can speed past toll booths now.

This is for facelift version by the way.

14. jl04

jl04 Member

May sound stupid, but if it matters for which side of the tag being place upwards? would you mind sharing a picture of that? I want to copy your method.

15. garethmchau

garethmchau Member

On the right hand side. I'll post a pic when I'm back in HK in a fortnight.

• Like x 1
  16. AnubisDenko

AnubisDenko Member

I tried what Gareth recommended and it seems to work quite well. Drove through Western tunnel today with 55 km/h and no issue at all. Fingers crossed that it works in all the tunnels without issues now.

17. tc720

tc720 New Member

For Model X, it should be fine using the autotoll, Following is what I found in the Tesla Model X user guide:

When attaching an RFID transponder (used by many automated toll systems) inside Model X, locate the transponder in the topmost area of the windshield as shown. This ensures best results and minimizes any obstruction to your driving view.

Attached Files: