Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

autoto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still haven't gone to the service centre to install the autotoll pass, currently, I just hold it out of the window with my barehands lol

it isn't hard at all to "install" it yourself. all i did, was:

1. put the autotoll thinger in a sealable bag. those you use for leftover food etc will do, all it does it protect the thinger from rain / sand etc.

2. open the frunk (front trunk)

3. with your hands, just press down on the "bottom lip" of the car, and the front plastic "grill" will pop out. be a little careful since there's a wire or two attached to it.

4. just tape the autotoll onto the back of the plastic grill, then pop the grill back onto the car

5. close the frunk

6. drive into the sunset via autotoll, smiling.

Not sure if this has been answered already, but I have a new Model S, which does not have the black plastic "nose cone" cowl. Where is the best place to put the autotoll transponder? I stuck it on the windshield as suggested by the Tesla store personnel, but 9/10 times it does not register when I cross the toll booth. Any suggestions aside from holding it out the window every time?

I installed it next to the mirror in the black area as described in the manual.

The actual trick was then to not drive faster than 40 km/h through the toll station. If I went faster it didn't work but otherwise always correctly registered.

So it seems the signal is quite week that goes through the windshield.

Cheers
Oliver

my tesla is the older gen one with the black plastic nosecone, and i have my autotoll hidden in there. accidentally drove thru a toll station at between 75-80km/b (oops), it still registered.

apparantly you can wrap aluminium/tin foil behind the autotoll nugget if you stick it on the windshield to amplify it, but i haven't tried it myself.

I installed it next to the mirror in the black area as described in the manual.

The actual trick was then to not drive faster than 40 km/h through the toll station. If I went faster it didn't work but otherwise always correctly registered.

So it seems the signal is quite week that goes through the windshield.

Cheers
Oliver

I stuck the tag on vertically to align with the black bits above the mirror ignoring the wrong autotoll advice not to and it works a dream. I can speed past toll booths now.

This is for facelift version by the way.

I stuck the tag on vertically to align with the black bits above the mirror ignoring the wrong autotoll advice not to and it works a dream. I can speed past toll booths now.

This is for facelift version by the way.
May sound stupid, but if it matters for which side of the tag being place upwards? would you mind sharing a picture of that? I want to copy your method.

For Model X, it should be fine using the autotoll, Following is what I found in the Tesla Model X user guide:

When attaching an RFID transponder (used by many automated toll systems) inside Model X, locate the transponder in the topmost area of the windshield as shown. This ensures best results and minimizes any obstruction to your driving view.

Attachments

• model x.jpg
    model x.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 87