TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autotoll tag installation

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by Rotorbow, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Rotorbow

Rotorbow Member

Interesting observations. For my car the Autotoll does not work in the lower right hand corner either. Is there any guidance on how to use the nose cone? It sounds like the best (only) way. Any guidance appreciated.

2. sonywong

sonywong Member

20101203_b1cdc71e2e4bfaea66c1WXLq7s05Ogyg.jpg

You can get a black box like the one in the picture from Autotoll first, and then stick it behind the nosecone. or just put it in a Ziploc bag and mount it behind the nosecone.

3. Rotorbow

Rotorbow Member

Excellent. I'll get on it. Many thanks for that..

4. capt666

capt666 Member

My Autotoll works next to the mirror arm (to the right side of it), right on the edge of the windshield. I have the thinner type (white one), so I havent even bothered sticking it on with the double sided tape, instead, I have just wedged it between the roof and headliner (It stays there pretty tight, and saves me from having to remove the tape later on)

5. ekwng

ekwng Member

#5 ekwng, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    I've tried several spots:

Wind Screen - 0% success
    Shaded Area (Right side of rear mirror, where the rain sensor is..) - 100% ok Eastern Tunnel KLN -> HK; 0% HK -> KLN; Western Tunnel 50/50
    Little triangle window by the side mirror (Only for the sake of trying, not practical :rolleyes:) - Nope

Nose cone - 100% anywhere (so far...)

How to remove the nose cone? See this LINK .... Watch 3:28 ! (Don't worry about others..)

Quite scary when you first do it but it will come off! Be firm!! And trust me, I have some professional pry tools and I found them more awkward to use. I've also tried credit cards :tongue:

Be careful not to let the nose cone drop out, the sensor cables are pretty small. Just stick your Autotoll tag inside the nose cone, if you're facing the car then stick on left side is better.

Put back the nose cone and off you go!! :cool:

6. Rotorbow

Rotorbow Member

Thank you ekwng. This really does seem the optimum solution. I'll try it and report back. Much appreciated.

7. capt666

capt666 Member

I have only tried Tai Lam tunnel, Airport Lantau Link, and some tunnels going to ShaTin. I didnt know it doesnt work with HK-->KLN Eastern Tunnel... or Western Tunnel.

8. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

We had similar issues with the roadster. In the end, for the roadster, I put mine in the frunk under the carbon fibre hood. Not perfect, and works better in some tunnels than others (similar to what you see). I do find that it works almost 100% of the time when I slow down to 30kph or so, but if I hammer through at 50kph it is 50/50 (depending on the tunnel).

That said, when it doesn't work the red-light stays on (so you know) and they just work off the license plate picture. I've never received a call or any problems from that - they just bill me the same.

I agree that behind the nose cone seems to be the best place.

9. ekwng

ekwng Member

The little challenge is to push the nose cone out...

Apparently this way by pushing the frunk plates was leaked by Service Rangers in US, you can find some threads in the forum talking about it.

Our Sigs are with new one piece nose cone so makes it easier.

Just stick the autotoll tag above the left parking sensor, plently of space there!

10. Rotorbow

Rotorbow Member

Thankyou ekwng. I completed the installation in the nosecone as suggested. It works perfectly over 3 tolls so far.
    removing the nosecone proved a little challenging, but got there eventually.
    much appreciated.

Rotorbow.

11. Vmax

Vmax Member

Would be great if Tesla could install it in the nosecone for us

12. Kairrson

Kairrson Member

I have seen people stick their autotoll underhood next to the gas charge lift support. Even Roadster, they put it at the front next to the hood latch.

13. ekwng

ekwng Member

Grrrreat!!! :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Yes but Model S bonnet is Aluminum so you need some luck to get detected.

Roadster is Carbon Fibre so no worries :cool:

14. JohnxII

JohnxII Member

I accidentally discovered that putting it in the door handle "holder" might work sometimes... but not 100%

15. markwj

16. Vmax

Vmax Member

After using for a while, any more comments on the installation next to the rear mirror arm?

17. markwj

Really, I wouldn't bother. Front nosecone cover is so easy. Now that I've done it once, I could do it again in 90 seconds.

18. capt666

capt666 Member

When it rained quite heavily last week, the toll booth didn't sense the tag next to the mirror arm, so I ended up placing in the nose cone.

19. sonywong

sonywong Member

I went to Tesla Service last week , they installed behind nose cone for me.

20. sc88

sc88 Member

They did mine too. Works perfectly so far. 100% success!