Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoWipers Still dont work well on 2021 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time owning a Tesla so I can't compare to the past. It's a 2021 model Y.
I live in Seattle where it's raining a lot and I noticed this wiper problems from the first week. After 4 months, I still can't get used to how bad it is, and apparently I'm not the only one.
So automation that doesn't work IS NOT automation. And the manual alternative is also lacking enough control.
So half automation + half manual = SERIOUS HAZARD.
I find myself constantly dealing with this terrible mechanism during rain and there are still no software improvements. Isn't the "L" in ML stands for "learning" so the system can adjust itself based on how many times I correct it?
When it's heavy rain, wipers would work on level 1-2/4- so even with a single press followed with a touch gesture I risk myself. You just can't get your eyes off the road during heavy rain even for a split second!
So I keep pressing the stalk manually until I have a shot of looking at the screen and adjusting to 3/4.
Then when the rain gets slower, I once again need to adjust back to auto or 1-2/4 via a touch gesture that takes my eyes off the road. And that goes on and on...
Funny part is, sometimes I turn on the car when it's light rain, and wipers would go on 4/4 until I stop them!

TLDR- this is by far the biggest disadvantage I see in the car. I drove 5-6 cars in my life and wipers were the least of my concerns. I was able to set it exactly the way I wanted without getting distracted ever. I just can't believe that such a simple feature is causing so many troubles.

I am really hopeful that Tesla team is monitoring this thread and doing something about it ASAP.

Agree. Drove on 2 long trips ending around Bremerton in varying pouring rain in the last 2 months. Tried using voice control but it always mis interprets the level I want. If I say set wiper on level 2, it bumps them up 2 settings. (like from 1 up to 3). I gave up trying to learn it.

I just leave it on auto all the time in the rain now, and use the manual as needed.

Really sub par. A twist dial on a stalk for intermittent adjustment is still way easier/safer. I don't want to look at the pop up in rain so hard the wipers can't keep up. Nuts.

Agree. Drove on 2 long trips ending around Bremerton in varying pouring rain in the last 2 months. Tried using voice control but it always mis interprets the level I want. If I say set wiper on level 2, it bumps them up 2 settings. (like from 1 up to 3). I gave up trying to learn it.

I just leave it on auto all the time in the rain now, and use the manual as needed.

Really sub par. A twist dial on a stalk for intermittent adjustment is still way easier/safer. I don't want to look at the pop up in rain so hard the wipers can't keep up. Nuts.
Yeah I forgot to mention that I also tried voice control but that was even worse so I forgot about this feature.

Good luck at Seattle! The only reason I don't care too much about it is that I live in SoCal where it rarely rains. I don't see any major improvement made on autowipe since 2018 on our Model X and Model 3. On the Model X, it is easy to just manually control it by twisting the wiper switch. On the Model 3, it is a two actions operation and requires you take your eyes off the road if you want to manually change the speed. It would be better if the car is on AP, but I don't put the car in AP when it rains... So for the Model 3, I left it in Auto and hope for the best.

I had to test the wipers today for the first time in light rain. It took me a while to figure out there is a manual button.

That works fine but Auto did full tilt in the light rain which was distracting. Then I tried manual setting on the screen which sorta worked, but having to take my eyes off the road to do this isn't so cool.

So my first real experience with the wipers could have been better. Granted I'm in SoCal most of the time, but it gives me pause to consider taking it to our Lacey, WA home.

Reactions: Transformer
Try contacting chat support about this, Tesla SSO - Sign In
(You can also try tweeting to Elon.)

I think Tesla needs to hear personally from owners about this and I'm afraid their touch screen UI design direction is towards less safety.

My copilot hates the touch screen wiper controls and other car controls. I'm not happy with them either, but I can cope.

And in practice, the voice commands are not a very successful workaround. They're unreliable esp. with spotty networks and noisy rain, slow, and not complete enough to, say, turn on the fog lights or the headlights when you need them.

The auto wipers are terribad in the snow we just got in Washington... I was constantly adjusting speeds as the auto would literally wait for 90% of the windshield to freeze over before kicking on, right around the time the front of the car froze over and auto lane center and traffic aware speed control died.

I think Tesla needs to hear personally from owners about this and I'm afraid their touch screen UI design direction is towards less safety.

My copilot hates the touch screen wiper controls and other car controls. I'm not happy with them either, but I can cope.

And in practice, the voice commands are not a very successful workaround. They're unreliable esp. with spotty networks and noisy rain, slow, and not complete enough to, say, turn on the fog lights or the headlights when you need them., sorry for the norance, but isn't this forum being tracked by Tesla? If not, then what is the best way to get their attention?

And in practice, the voice commands are not a very successful workaround. They're unreliable esp. with spotty networks and noisy rain, slow, and not complete enough to, say, turn on the fog lights or the headlights when you need them.
Sorry for the ignorance, but isn't this forum being monitored by Tesla? If not, then what is the best way to get their attention to posts made here?

Welcome from Seattle, a place where is rains all the time at this time of the year. Well, this week it was snowing, but still.
I have a truck with rain sensing wipers (using regular light sensor) and I need to say that it works well better on my Model Y. On MY, the sensors are going crazy fast during the mist and they don't keep up when mist switches to pouring rain. Trying to change settings for wipers on touch screen in manual mode while it is raining is just dangerous.

Reactions: Meepmeep