Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autpilot 91 freeway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time posting and new user. I've been reading many posts for the last several months - so a big thank you to everyone for sharing their experiences and tips.

I have a question - I am considering buying a new model S - but I have a very specific use case: I want to use Auto Pilot on the 91 freeway (in SoCal) travelling East and West between the 110 and all the way to Palm springs (on the 10). Including using the express lane on the 91.

The trips are usually afternoon or evening, sometimes night. Does anyone have expereince w/ AP managing this journey and the express lanes. I understand I will need to navigate the entrance, but I'm wondering if the slow moving traffic in the normal lanes causes issues for the faster moving car in the express lane (on the other side of the cones). Do you have expereince in the section of the 91 after the express lane too (in downtown Riverside)

Also, a slightly different question. I don't need a range more than 200 miles, I have a lexus GS which I intend to keep, and it's a very nice cruiser for the occasional long trips. Is there any reason to pay for the long range versus the standard range. So far I can find no reason to pay the extra money, 0 to 60 times are not important to me as long as it has decent pick up. Am I on the right track here?

thx

CS

...Auto Pilot on the 91 freeway (in SoCal) travelling East and West between the 110 and all the way to Palm springs (on the 10). Including using the express lane on the 91...

I haven't tried that route but in general, Autopilot is beta so don't expect its perfection. You might have to learn how to work with the system to accomplish what you want.

The autopilot part itself is pretty good at

1) TACC (cruise)
2) Autosteer within a lane.

If you want to go more features to Navigation on Autopilot, it works pretty good most of the time but it might automatically change lane out of HOV because it is still confused about regular and HOV traffic.

...I don't need a range more than 200 miles...

I don't either but it's nice to have an available option when I had over 500 mile range with my old Prius.

I still say range is King!

I quit gasoline cars since 2012 and I have been driving exclusively on Teslas since then for the past 7 years.

I haven't tried that route but in general, Autopilot is beta so don't expect its perfection. You might have to learn how to work with the system to accomplish what you want.

1) TACC (cruise)

If you want to go more features to Navigation on Autopilot, it works pretty good most of the time but it might automatically change lane out of HOV because it is still confused about regular and HOV traffic.

I don't either but it's nice to have an available option when I had over 500 mile range with my old Prius.

I quit gasoline cars since 2012 and I have been driving exclusively on Teslas since then for the past 7 years.
First time posting and new user. I've been reading many posts for the last several months - so a big thank you to everyone for sharing their experiences and tips.

I have a question - I am considering buying a new model S - but I have a very specific use case: I want to use Auto Pilot on the 91 freeway (in SoCal) travelling East and West between the 110 and all the way to Palm springs (on the 10). Including using the express lane on the 91.

The trips are usually afternoon or evening, sometimes night. Does anyone have expereince w/ AP managing this journey and the express lanes. I understand I will need to navigate the entrance, but I'm wondering if the slow moving traffic in the normal lanes causes issues for the faster moving car in the express lane (on the other side of the cones). Do you have expereince in the section of the 91 after the express lane too (in downtown Riverside)

Also, a slightly different question. I don't need a range more than 200 miles, I have a lexus GS which I intend to keep, and it's a very nice cruiser for the occasional long trips. Is there any reason to pay for the long range versus the standard range. So far I can find no reason to pay the extra money, 0 to 60 times are not important to me as long as it has decent pick up. Am I on the right track here?

thx

CS

I’ve driven that route a few times, I’m surprised how smart it really is. The setting can be switched to use or not use HOV lanes. Autopilot is smart enough to change lanes into the express lanes when they open if the setting for HOV use is selected. When the other lanes are stopped the car keeps going, no difference from the other random phantom braking. I’ve had random phantom braking on this stretch of road as well as others. There have been numerous times the car doesn’t phantom on this stretch.

Buy the range you can afford...I have a 75
and it works but I wish I had the 100, why just to say because it gives assurance. However at the time I bought it was 16k more. From my understanding 100s have a more robust battery pack. My 237 claimed range with battery degradation is now 220 ish, it’s a 2018 with 8300 miles. Just food for thought. Also the long range is supposed charge faster on superchargers.

1) TACC (cruise)

thx - I didn't realize TACC, and Autosteer could be seleceted individually. 'T' in TACC is Tesla?

I’ve driven that route a few times, I’m surprised how smart it really is. The setting can be switched to use or not use HOV lanes. Autopilot is smart enough to change lanes into the express lanes when they open if the setting for HOV use is selected. When the other lanes are stopped the car keeps going, no difference from the other random phantom braking. I’ve had random phantom braking on this stretch of road as well as others. There have been numerous times the car doesn’t phantom on this stretch.

Buy the range you can afford...I have a 75
and it works but I wish I had the 100, why just to say because it gives assurance. However at the time I bought it was 16k more. From my understanding 100s have a more robust battery pack. My 237 claimed range with battery degradation is now 220 ish, it’s a 2018 with 8300 miles. Just food for thought. Also the long range is supposed charge faster on superchargers.

OK, thank you for your feedback. When you say you can select 'HOV' does it manage well the transistion, I'm thinkg the end of the 91 going west when there is the 91/55 split - even for a human driver it's a little confusing and challenging to get in the lane if it's busy.

Can you eleborate on the 'robust ,,pack'?

Wish those were my plates...
i shudder every time someone mentions that freeway. actually saw someone with the plates H8THE91
OK, thank you for your feedback. When you say you can select 'HOV' does it manage well the transistion, I'm thinkg the end of the 91 going west when there is the 91/55 split - even for a human driver it's a little confusing and challenging to get in the lane if it's busy.

Can you eleborate on the 'robust ,,pack'?

Yes it when navigating on autopilot it will go to the lane it’s supposed to go into to access the correct freeway. I’ve done both the 55 south and 91 west, it handles both transitions depending on your route. I will say there was one time on a software I can’t remember it scared the crap out of me on the sweeping right turn after that split to continue on the 91. Newer versions have not been a problem.

I say more robust because of what I read on the forums, they can accept a faster charge at superchargers. I can’t say I have read anything that makes them more reliable or anything