Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aux 12v battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my 12V replaced once in 4 years. Got a warning message that 12v was in need of replacement, and to schedule appointment to replace it. Tesla said that after the message pops up you have about 1 week before the 12v battery dies (the car monitors the 12v's state of health), so it isn't like it just happens out of the blue.

The inconvenience isn't really the issue. This doesn't look like a cheap battery to replace.

I REAAALLLY hope the 12v is an owner DIY item on the Model 3. I just cannot imagine driving 6 hours to the nearest service center to have it replaced, or even to drag a ranger out to my place for the service.
It will certainly be. 12v is pretty much DIY on the S/X today - Tesla even has public safety instructions for this (with all kinds of disclaimers, of course):

https://service.teslamotors.com/sit...ting_12V_and_High_Voltage_Power_(Model_S).pdf
https://service.teslamotors.com/sit...ting_12V_and_High_Voltage_Power_(Model_X).pdf

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Well this is disappointing. One of the ways I was justifying the extra cost of this car was the reduced maintence costs. No oil changes, no filters, break pads (or at least much less frequent) etc. Now it sounds like I need to factor in a yearly battery change which will cost more than a years worth of oil changes.

Looks like there are some non DIY maintenance with the Tesalas....and they don't look in-expensive: A/C desiccant bag replacement; Battery coolant replacement; Drive Unit(s) fluid service...and of course that beautiful 12v battery.

Everything else in the maint schedule is stupid. Here is the Mod s/x maint schedule for reference: Maintenance Plans

Anyone know if the tesla service center can perform a service like drive unit fluid service ala carte....would it be less expensive than the bundled 12.5K service?

Most electric cars and plug in hybrids have a problem with short 12 volt battery life check their sites. A friend had his 12 volt die in his plug in prius sitting in the garage. As for price, my last BMW used a lithium battery and a replacement was $800. Tesla uses a glass mat battery that costs about $160. Battmobile will sell you a lithium replacement for about $400. If you live in cold weather, remember most types of lithium batteries are damaged by cold. Lead acid batteries are much more durable in below freezing weather.

If you do need to replace your battery out of warranty and don't wanna have to do it every year, check out the custom Tesla lithium replacement battery for the Lead Acid stock battery:

BattMobile Batteries, Custom Lithium Batteries

Looks like the issue is partially an issue with the 12v battery charging software on the MS and X. If that gets fixed all may be fine in the future. Otherwise I may try to wire a charger for the 12v battery into the power coming in via the charge port. Then, when the car is plugged in, the 12v is charging, so the cycling described in that previously mentioned blog post will not be happening at home or driving (where it mostly is).

-Randy

Most electric cars and plug in hybrids have a problem with short 12 volt battery life check their sites. A friend had his 12 volt die in his plug in prius sitting in the garage. As for price, my last BMW used a lithium battery and a replacement was $800. Tesla uses a glass mat battery that costs about $160. Battmobile will sell you a lithium replacement for about $400. If you live in cold weather, remember most types of lithium batteries are damaged by cold. Lead acid batteries are much more durable in below freezing weather.

I am still on the original 12v battery on my 2011 LEAF.

Yeah but the Leaf main battery is probably getting pretty old. So say all the members of my local Electric Car Club that own Leaves... Leafses... Leafs? I don't know the plural of Prius either.

-Randy
Here you go, put your mind at ease:
February 20, 2011
TORRANCE, Calif., February 20, 2011 –Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), USA, Inc. today announced that the general public has selected ‘Prii’ as the preferred plural term for Prius.

The official plural for the leaf is "leafs"
Nissan on Twitter

Dont worry about it. TMC is a drama factory that makes huge deals about non-issues. It is a normal (smallish) 12v battery. Nothing special or expensive.

What? Tesla absolutely uses a specialized battery, absorbed glass-mat (AGM) lead-acid batteries--which are more expensive than typical batteries. It's not rare, but it's also not a $50 lead-acid you buy at Walmart.

Syonyk's Project Blog: Tesla Model S 12V Battery Analysis

AGMs are often used in ambulances, delivery trucks, marine (i.e., boats), off-roaders, campers/RVs, and other high-load or long-idle vehicles because they're superior in deep-cycling to traditional lead-acid. I'd love to hear the long-term stories of Tesla owners somehow on traditional lead-acid batteries; the Model S cycles its 12V+ battery 5 times a day.

Tesla absolutely uses a specialized battery, absorbed glass-mat (AGM) lead-acid batteries--which are more expensive than typical batteries
Not that much expensive anymore -- $50 - $100.
If it lasts at least 3 years in a Tesla, the additional cost is pretty easy to ignore and to focus more on ease of replacement.

the Model S cycles its 12V+ battery 5 times a day.
I was unaware -- I thought the poor longevity was from vampire losses while parked and not connected to an EVSE. Why all the cycling ?

Not that much expensive anymore -- $50 - $100.
If it lasts at least 3 years in a Tesla, the additional cost is pretty easy to ignore and to focus more on ease of replacement.

I was unaware -- I thought the poor longevity was from vampire losses while parked and not connected to an EVSE. Why all the cycling ?

I lost the thread, but I got the new notification once it moved!

Right, but that can be a 100% price increase over traditional lead-acid--that is, they are relatively more expensive, but essentially pennies on a $35k+ purchase.

The cycling: a great question. Lots of speculation here on TMC and Tesla's forums. For example, this here.

• Informative
Reactions: gambit48
I lost the thread, but I got the new notification once it moved!

Right, but that can be a 100% price increase over traditional lead-acid--that is, they are relatively more expensive, but essentially pennies on a $35k+ purchase.

The cycling: a great question. Lots of speculation here on TMC and Tesla's forums. For example, this here.
There was an explanation of the way a Tesla cycles the 12 volt in a previous thread. They are not the only company to have this problem with electric/ plug in cars. The battery is way cheaper than the battery in my last BMW which was $400 Their current software does a pretty good job of controlling the 12 volt. In most cases i.e. Not severe cold or heat long term, expect about 3 years from the 12volt.

Our Aug 2018 Model 3 12 volt battery warning started March 14, 2020 and by March 17 the car wasn't drive-able. Have to be careful with the windows too. As soon as we received this low battery warning our auto windows when out of wack and actually went beyond its range and damaged our chrome trim when my son closed the rear door. The window was higher then the frame and impacted the chrome trim on the roof. Tesla had to tow my car into the service center and withing 24 hrs the battery was replaced as well as the chrome trim all covered under warranty. In the service invoice Tesla stated when receiving this warning to roll down the windows to prevent damage to the trim. I also saw a tweet from Elon that Tesla is considering incorporating a 12 volt health monitoring on the display in a future release.