Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aux/HDMI Video input?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, but maybe the backup cam has an internal connector, or may be hardwired.

The camera chip that Tesla is using in the Model S is the OmniVision OV10630. The data sheet reveils that the sensor supports a digital video parallel port and 8- or 10-bit YUV and 10- to 18-bit HDR RAW output formats, but how Tesla has implemented the chip and what connector they are using I don't know.

If we know more, it may be doable to "intercept" the cable and add a switch and video port to allow an alternate video source.

that would be great! my thoughts are more related to showing a video for the kids or using when my wife is running inside for something either at the store or mall etc...

The camera chip that Tesla is using in the Model S is the OmniVision OV10630. The data sheet reveils that the sensor supports a digital video parallel port and 8- or 10-bit YUV and 10- to 18-bit HDR RAW output formats, but how Tesla has implemented the chip and what connector they are using I don't know.

If we know more, it may be doable to "intercept" the cable and add a switch and video port to allow an alternate video source.

I wonder if they are purposely distorting the camera image in order to reduce the barrel distortion inherent in the camera. If they are, then your video input hack would look really weird on the screen. If they add features like AGC or fake parking lines then it would make it even worse. I wish they'd just provide a video input jack from the factory like some other cars do.

imagine if it was hdmi - intercept that signal and plug in a chromecast or apple tv device - stream anything you want, mirror your mobile phone...

I bet that nvidia chip has support for hdmi... question is whether there is a hardware port or even software in the OS to pull the signal if it were.

Has anyone gone into their model s to look around?