TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Aux/HDMI Video input?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by stoked, Dec 19, 2012.

1. stoked

stoked Member

Does the Model S have a physical video input?

Thanks.

2. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

3. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

No, but maybe the backup cam has an internal connector, or may be hardwired.

4. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

The camera chip that Tesla is using in the Model S is the OmniVision OV10630. The data sheet reveils that the sensor supports a digital video parallel port and 8- or 10-bit YUV and 10- to 18-bit HDR RAW output formats, but how Tesla has implemented the chip and what connector they are using I don't know.

If we know more, it may be doable to "intercept" the cable and add a switch and video port to allow an alternate video source.

5. setritt

setritt p6652

that would be great! my thoughts are more related to showing a video for the kids or using when my wife is running inside for something either at the store or mall etc...

6. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

7. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Can't put a DVD in an iPad. (thought you can rip 'em if you're savy enough :) )

8. William3

William3 Member

I wonder if they are purposely distorting the camera image in order to reduce the barrel distortion inherent in the camera. If they are, then your video input hack would look really weird on the screen. If they add features like AGC or fake parking lines then it would make it even worse. I wish they'd just provide a video input jack from the factory like some other cars do.

9. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Could be a legal issue too - making it possible for the user to play video from any source with the vehicle moving may be illegal many places.

10. 4sevens.com

4sevens.com Member

imagine if it was hdmi - intercept that signal and plug in a chromecast or apple tv device - stream anything you want, mirror your mobile phone...

I bet that nvidia chip has support for hdmi... question is whether there is a hardware port or even software in the OS to pull the signal if it were.

Has anyone gone into their model s to look around?