Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aux input into Model 3 (or: FM modulation questions)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need to be able to pair a bluetooth device (transmitter) without using a PIN code. Does anyone have a solution or know how to disable the apparent requirement of a PIN code to enable pairing? Still can't believe Tesla does not have an aux in audio input!

Need to be able to pair a bluetooth device (transmitter) without using a PIN code. Does anyone have a solution or know how to disable the apparent requirement of a PIN code to enable pairing? Still can't believe Tesla does not have an aux in audio input!

you can create your own aux in by tapping into the FM tuner. unfortunately at the moment that's really the only solution...

I agree, each to their own. But to answer your question, yes the extra steps necessary to get Bluetooth quality over FM quality far outweigh the effort to me. If FM and Bluetooth sound equal to your ears, or if the extra sound quality is not worth the extra effort to you, then FM should be fine.

Actually, I'd much rather go the route Mr. Duck did than go through the FM tuner. Mr. Duck, can you share the make and model number of the device you managed to get working this way?
Here's the deal with that - when I got the car, I had one of those little taotronics ones, that are all over amazon. It didn't work. So I bought a newer model of the same thing - and it didn't work either. So in a bit of frustration, I kind of went crazy on amazon and bought like 5 or 6 more, of all different kinds. Tried 3 or 4 of them, with no luck at all, but finally one of them worked. But then I discovered what a true pita it was going to be to reconnect the thing on every start up, and I just threw the whole pile of them in a corner. Where they still are. My best guess of which is the working one is based on the fact that it's open, and on the top of the pile (there are some that never got opened). And it's the most generic of them all - it's called Bluetooth Stereo Receiver and Transmitter 2 in 1. No brand name. Model: SK-BTI-018. There's a thank you note inside that says it's from the Lantoo team.
IMG_4126.JPG

Please be aware that I can't promise that this is the one that works. It kind of looks like this one on amazon currently - https://www.amazon.com/Giveet-Bluet...ooth+transmitter+lantoo&qid=1597029813&sr=8-5

I agree, each to their own. But to answer your question, yes the extra steps necessary to get Bluetooth quality over FM quality far outweigh the effort to me. If FM and Bluetooth sound equal to your ears, or if the extra sound quality is not worth the extra effort to you, then FM should be fine.

it's really a combination of the two, for me. when you tap into the FM tuner with an antenna adapter, the extra sound quality by streaming over bluetooth is minimal IMO. not worth the effort of having to mess around with getting a bluetooth adapter to connect every single time i sit down in the car.

if you're talking about strictly just using a rinky dink generic old FM transmitter, then i'd say you have a point and it becomes more of a question.

I would like Sirius XM up here in the mountains with poor cell. I just bought the new Sirius Tour which has
Bluetooth built in. It's just like having an Onyx EZR but Tour lets you connect to a wifi hotspot (not needed by me) as well as satellite. Uses the same power adapter and docking station and antenna as the Onyx EZR which was 1/3 the price. I have a new Y. It initially paired the Tour to the Tesla when I called the Tour a second phone. It accepted the passcode. But then it wouldn't stay connected. Very disappointed we can't get Tesla engineers to let us connect a second media device using Bluetooth or a plain old audio cable. I expected more from Tesla. Unless someone has a better idea it looks like I'm going to be forced to rip apart the trim leading back to the FM unit in the C pillar. Hope it's there like in the M3.

Wow @sduck, thank you for investing the time and money trying to find one that works. Totally understand about getting frustrated and throwing it in a pile.

Totally agree @Skyking1066. Like many other issues, it's so frustrating that there is no official Tesla UserVoice or other public feedback channel.

There is an unofficial IdeaScale site setup to capture feedback. There is no guarantee that Tesla is even paying attention to it, but I did create a feedback item there regarding bluetooth Aux adapters if anyone wants to vote on it.

Support Bluetooth Aux Adapters

Wow @sduck, thank you for investing the time and money trying to find one that works. Totally understand about getting frustrated and throwing it in a pile.

Totally agree @Skyking1066. Like many other issues, it's so frustrating that there is no official Tesla UserVoice or other public feedback channel.

There is an unofficial IdeaScale site setup to capture feedback. There is no guarantee that Tesla is even paying attention to it, but I did create a feedback item there regarding bluetooth Aux adapters if anyone wants to vote on it.

Support Bluetooth Aux Adapters

this would be the ideal solution, but people have been asking for this since the car was first released in 2017. if they were going to do it, i feel like they would have done it already...especially something so easy.

I feel like a Tesla-like solution to this would be for them to add SXM as an app, like Spotify, and then you could stream. I've @siriusxm with the suggestion and they acknowledged it and said they'd take it back to their team. Tried to get Elon with it on Twitter but that is a crap shoot. Maybe he's seen it, but no reply. They obviously have a relationship with SXM given the Model S had it, and they just updated the software interface

I feel like a Tesla-like solution to this would be for them to add SXM as an app, like Spotify, and then you could stream. I've @siriusxm with the suggestion and they acknowledged it and said they'd take it back to their team. Tried to get Elon with it on Twitter but that is a crap shoot. Maybe he's seen it, but no reply. They obviously have a relationship with SXM given the Model S had it, and they just updated the software interface

the problem with that is that you're still at the mercy then of where you have cell service vs where you don't. i went on a 4k mile road trip with my 3 about a month after taking delivery, and a large part of that was through remote parts of the western US where both radio and cell coverage were pretty much non existent. if i would have had my portable XM installed at that point, i would have had access to anything i wanted to listen to pretty much, including live sports...without it, i was at the mercy of what i remembered to put on my phone before we left the hotel each day (and no live sports on opening weekend for college football).

those remote areas are where having the actual satellite antenna and unit installed really shines, and why some of us really wish they had at least given us that choice from the factory. at least we now have the ability (in a few ways, whether FM or the bluetooth dock) to make it happen.

the problem with that is that you're still at the mercy then of where you have cell service vs where you don't. i went on a 4k mile road trip with my 3 about a month after taking delivery, and a large part of that was through remote parts of the western US where both radio and cell coverage were pretty much non existent. if i would have had my portable XM installed at that point, i would have had access to anything i wanted to listen to pretty much, including live sports...without it, i was at the mercy of what i remembered to put on my phone before we left the hotel each day (and no live sports on opening weekend for college football).

those remote areas are where having the actual satellite antenna and unit installed really shines, and why some of us really wish they had at least given us that choice from the factory. at least we now have the ability (in a few ways, whether FM or the bluetooth dock) to make it happen.

oh, I get it. I really wish it had been an option or would be made an add-on option to get a hardware radio, but the addition of it is unlikely, and the best fidelity would be an app in the car streaming