Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auxiliary 12 volt accessory hookup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does any one know if there is a fuse box type junction that allows for extra 12 volt accessories to be hooked up on the model S
If you wanted to permanently mount a device it would not always have to be plugged in to the cigarette lighter.
Would be nice if some open ports could be turned on and off through the 17 inch display.
This type of hook up would be useful for other 12 volt devices.
I also heard that there was going to be a 110volt outlet somewhere as well. Anyone heard other wise about either?

Does any one know if there is a fuse box type junction that allows for extra 12 volt accessories to be hooked up on the model S
If you wanted to permanently mount a device it would not always have to be plugged in to the cigarette lighter.

I would really like to know this as well and plan on asking (searching) when the tour comes to Austin. I have a radar detector permanently wired in my A3 and have been wondering if I can pull it off in the Model S as well ...

I am a big fan of OnStar, and may at some point like to consider an OnStar FMV mirror for the car. It would, of course, need a 12v supply and I wonder if the 12v supply to the factory auto-dimming mirror would be sufficient?

Alternatively, I wonder if Model S being a connected car and all, has or will have some sort of OnStar-like functionality.

(OnStar was invaluable when I had a vehicle accident and, on another occasion in getting an ambulance right to me when I had a critically ill passenger)

Mike

Did you install OnStar?

Nope. I actually met with the OnStar folks who are doing some Smart Grid work with utilities in San Diego back in February and learned that their FMV retro-fit mirror was not as big a hit as they'd hoped. It never entered the Canadian market and I believe it may not be long for this world in the US either. Best Buy no longer carries it. In my opinion, this is too bad because I think it is a fantastic product.

There's no reason Tesla couldn't do something similar, since the Model S is so well connected to the internet.

Nope. I actually met with the OnStar folks who are doing some Smart Grid work with utilities in San Diego back in February and learned that their FMV retro-fit mirror was not as big a hit as they'd hoped. In my opinion, this is too bad because I think it is a fantastic product.

There's no reason Tesla couldn't do something similar, since the Model S is so well connected to the internet.

Any reason the FMV could not be mounted in a MS in the USA?

Any reason the FMV could not be mounted in a MS in the USA?

The Model S's stock mirror mount may be a problem, but it should be do-able. The FMV is a self-contained device, so all you need to be able to do is mount it and power it with 12v. There is apparently a 12v dongle under the microphone grille that someone in another thread used for a dash cam.

The Model S's stock mirror mount may be a problem, but it should be do-able. The FMV is a self-contained device, so all you need to be able to do is mount it and power it with 12v. There is apparently a 12v dongle under the microphone grille that someone in another thread used for a dash cam.

Do you know if the 12 volt supply is on 24x7? I heard the 12 volt outlet in the car shuts off after 5 minutes.

12v outlet does turn off automatically, the extra 12v connector in mic grille is always on

I've seen pictures from which I think I could dedcut a slight redesign of the plastic cover of this area on the EU models. I hope they haven't removed the unused always-on 12V connector here, since I was planning to hook up my BlackVue dashcam to it. But I guess there will be on or other 12V lead here to tap in to. Would hate to have to run cabling all the way from one of the fuse boxes.