Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Availability of Log Data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was involved in an accident where the other party is disputing in I honked my horn or not. Is anyone aware if Tesla would have logs of this type of data - specifically when a horn is used?

Tesla routinely does not willingly give out your car's data. You'll need to do a subpoena.

In the meantime, you can buy Tesla Event Data Recorder retrieval kit.

However, it does not show horn usage.

Your car logs pretty much everything from screen usage to furnk opening... so I assume it also logs horn information as well.

It's possible that you can pay for one of those Do-It-Yourself experts around to see if they can remote retrieve horn information for you.

Tesla routinely does not willingly give out your car's data. You'll need to do a subpoena.
This. If Tesla refuses to extract and deliver the log data voluntarily, file a small claims court action against them. Then, send them the subpoena (called a subpoena duces tecum, which just means you want records / documents) for the logs. Be explicit about the case number, where it's filed (include a copy), and exactly what logs and dates you are demanding. You can find examples on the web with a quick search.

I suspect they will comply, and you can then dismiss the small claims action. You'll be out probably $50 (most corporations can be served by mail to their registered agent).

A quick search revealed a Florida registration. California is easy, as it's searchable at the California Secretary of State website. Their current agent for California, CT Corporation (a very common one), also happens to have a Florida address.

Are you going through your insurance? I thought insurance companies facing claims, or maybe its only when customer was being sued by other party and they were defending you, could get the logs along with police departments for court proceedings.

If going through your insurance and they could prove you honked horn, i would think the insurance company would obtain those records for you if they could to reduce any liabilty for damages on your part. Did you talk to your insurer about this?