Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Available in Tesla Shop: OEM Model Y PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was planning to get a similar kit. I noticed the Tesla PPF kit extends higher up. Have you noticed any chips above where the XPEL kit goes?

really should have come installed on all MYs as just driving on freeway for a few hundred miles will damage those doors.. at the most should be $20.. would also save a lot of frustration with owners and service centers looking at issue.

not sure what film Tesla uses but it may not end up being as clear as market leaders using 3rd-gen self-healing XPEL or STEK (hydrophobic too)

applied XPEL rocker panel kit on mine after fresh repaint (saw rash prior to repaint, was repainted for factory defects): Rear door paint chips/road rash poll

How I received my ppf from FedEx.
Tesla didn't even tape the end caps on

Attachments

• ACC7BDBE-5048-4D5E-B665-D7F69EAA0AF3.jpeg
    ACC7BDBE-5048-4D5E-B665-D7F69EAA0AF3.jpeg
    367 KB · Views: 199
  • 776FBEF5-083D-4585-AFF5-CD3EB2488509.jpeg
    776FBEF5-083D-4585-AFF5-CD3EB2488509.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 153
  • A5B007EE-C699-434C-B7F2-BF63D879F5D6.jpeg
    A5B007EE-C699-434C-B7F2-BF63D879F5D6.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 141
Would be interested in review of how easy it is to put on....

Fairly easy since you can adjust until you squeegee the soap water mix out.

Its made by 3M pretty thick about 1 mm my guess.

I made sure the adherent side is not rolling away from the car (it came in a tube mailer), and then taped the edges until dried (24 hrs).

If you notice there is tape one one edge, my luck there’s a chip there - I applied MSM looking paint with clear coat to hide the white base. It kept the PPF so far.

Can you see the film?
It is noticeable, since its thick depending on viewing angle.

Y on left 3 on right (no ppf)

6174826B-F914-4438-8F27-6AF547A45EA5.jpeg
CF5E08E9-12FC-4D06-99CC-E519A2F739F8.jpeg
583A3865-688F-45F6-9BD6-96EB7EB87257.jpeg

I feel like Tesla Service Centers should be doing this for us. If we are going to pay $50 for a piece of PPF to fix a design flaw, at least they could do is the install. After a quick google search I found that Tesla offered a complimentary kit with mudflaps for the 3 last year. Tesla officially launches free 'All-Weather Protection Kit' — first picture - Electrek

(I haven't bought the PPF yet, but need to do something asap up here in the Northeast)

Last edited:
For me it's high enough. Picked up my MYP end of June and I have 14k miles now. I drive 100 mjles a day anywhere between 70-85 mph.

Below is a picture of all the chips I repaired with the OEM paint kit, prior to applying the blending solution and installing PPF. The highest chip was well within the coverage of the PPF.

This should come standard!

Attachments

• 20210116_120106.jpg
    20210116_120106.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 20210116_180043.jpg
    20210116_180043.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 163
Fairly easy since you can adjust until you squeegee the soap water mix out.

Its made by 3M pretty thick about 1 mm my guess.

I made sure the adherent side is not rolling away from the car (it came in a tube mailer), and then taped the edges until dried (24 hrs).

If you notice there is tape one one edge, my luck there’s a chip there - I applied MSM looking paint with clear coat to hide the white base. It kept the PPF so far.

Can you see the film?
It is noticeable, since its thick depending on viewing angle.

Y on left 3 on right (no ppf)

View attachment 628155View attachment 628156View attachment 628157

This looks exactly like the FACTORY applied ppf on my buddy's Toyota Tundra. It's a shame we have to pay extra for something that is a necessity. I will be applying mine when I get a warmer day here in Wisconsin. I am a little nervous to do it, to be honest.

Reactions: techmagnetic
I have a sheet of universal PPF and would like to cut out the pattern. Do these kits come with a backing sheet thats in the pattern of the actual clear piece? Of so, anyone still have it/didnt throw it away? I'd love to have it. Will pay the postage

I have a sheet of universal PPF and would like to cut out the pattern. Do these kits come with a backing sheet thats in the pattern of the actual clear piece? Of so, anyone still have it/didnt throw it away? I'd love to have it. Will pay the postage
Unfortunately mine came together on a giant single sheet that was vaguely shaped like the two pieces, and slightly larger too.

For me it's high enough. Picked up my MYP end of June and I have 14k miles now. I drive 100 mjles a day anywhere between 70-85 mph.

Below is a picture of all the chips I repaired with the OEM paint kit, prior to applying the blending solution and installing PPF. The highest chip was well within the coverage of the PPF.

This should come standard!
Nice job! Mine looks similar. I just slapped the PPF from BreathEasier on as soon as it arrived with no paint correction. It's working fine but I'll be removing it and trying what you did this Spring. How long did that paint repair take you?

Nice job! Mine looks similar. I just slapped the PPF from BreathEasier on as soon as it arrived with no paint correction. It's working fine but I'll be removing it and trying what you did this Spring. How long did that paint repair take you?

It took me about 2 hours total time.. Most of it was waiting for the touch up paint to dry. Very similar to Dr. Colorchip, if not the same exact product. Most of the chips were covered on the first coat, some of the bigger ones needed two. I thought I was receiving a regular bottle of touch up paint. Very surprised when I opened it to see that it was much more.

I did polish the area before repairing the chips because the whole car is ceramic coated, which is why you see the painter's tape. I wasn't sure how the ppf would stick on top of the coating, so that was at least 30 minutes of polishing the area. I didn't bother polishing after because I thought the finish looked good enough.

It took me about 2 hours total time.. Most of it was waiting for the touch up paint to dry. Very similar to Dr. Colorchip, if not the same exact product. Most of the chips were covered on the first coat, some of the bigger ones needed two. I thought I was receiving a regular bottle of touch up paint. Very surprised when I opened it to see that it was much more.

I did polish the area before repairing the chips because the whole car is ceramic coated, which is why you see the painter's tape. I wasn't sure how the ppf would stick on top of the coating, so that was at least 30 minutes of polishing the area. I didn't bother polishing after because I thought the finish looked good enough.
Thanks for the info. What did you use to polish?