Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Available kWh in Standard and Range Mode for Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I am new here in the forum.

And I want to know what they have done exactly for the range mode in the model S.

If you put the car into range mode and charge it, the upper SOC increases to an higher level ?
Then if you drive in the range mode the bottom SOC is lower ?
All in all the SOC Level on the top and at the bottom go to a little higher/lower values ?
Is that the right explanation ?

And are there any factors in range mode that will reduce, like the cooling or heating for battery or the engine power ?

Imagine you plan a long trip and take the car in the evening into range mode and plug it in, is there morge "damage" for the battery to be the whole night into range mode (and fully charged) as in standard mode (not so full charged) ?

Last but not least, for the Roadster I have read that there are owners that plug the Roadster in at the evening but the "charging plan" is programmed in this way that the charging ends up 30 min before the owners get to work in the morning of the next day, because they assume a longer life time of the battery to be not so high charged at night (this owners always use standard mode).

Are the any charging issues for example thze balancing of the cells ? I read in the internet for the roadster that if you take range mode for charging, you have to be sure that the next charge is in stadard mode and you have enough time, because of balancing the cells.

@agentsmith - There are two types of "range mode" on the Model S: range charging mode and range driving mode.

Charging mode affects how much of the battery capacity will be replenished when charging.
Range charging mode charges to 100% of capacity, while standard charging mode charges to 90% capacity.

Driving mode affects consumption of battery capacity while driving.
Range driving mode is described briefly in the Release Notes:
  • Range Driving Mode - Range mode conserves energy by reducing climate control power.
    • Climate control will be limited so Model S cabin heating and cooling may be less effective.
    • Seat heaters will turn on to compensate for the restricted cabin heating.
    You can access this setting at Controls > Settings > Vehicle.
Model S software/firmware changelog - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

But the range driving mode has no effect of battery cooling/heating or the battery life time?

Shouldn't. If anything it will improve battery life because the battery is stressed less.

How much range you can get from driving range mode more ?

That is a real how long is a piece of string question. It depends on many factors such as ambient temperature, speed, wind, terrain, driving style, etc.

and how much more from charging range mode ?

Range charging mode adds 10% to the capacity. There is a very good write up here.