Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Avatar update for app and car after complete color change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I changed the color of my S to white and I have been going back and forth with Tesla and the service center. All I am looking to do is have Tesla change my car avatar to match the new color both on the app and in my vehicle. I have read where others have had it done over the air for both paint color and wheel color but after two months, Tesla still has been unable to do that. Any insight or help on how I can get this done would be much appreciated.

Below is the new look :)

xqkl20.jpg

I will try again but last time I was there I asked and they told me it was not possible as the avatar info was associated with the VIN or some bs. I then told them it has been done by others in California but they still did not know what to do. It was the Milford, CT service center.

They plug in a computer under the passenger side footwell and can change all the settings about the vehicle. I'm weird and wanted the spoiler that I got put on on the picture and they were able to do it, it probably took about 15 mins.

They stated they did not know how to do it, and even if they could do it, they would need approval from somebody higher up first because they are changing the cars settings that came from the factory. They said they are reaching out to Tesla and will be contacting me within a few days. This is the same answer I have recieved from Tesla for the last two months with no results. Does anybody have a service center that has done it and/or somebody at Tesla to speak with who is familiar with this?

I had the spoiler added to my car's avatar and I know @DÆrik had his spoiler and wheels updated on both of his cars. As others have mentioned above, it's really simple for them to plug in their laptop and make the change. In my case, the ranger updated mine when he came out to install the spoiler.

I tried to get my wheels updated when I took delivery a couple months ago, as I was going straight from the service center to get the slipstreams swapped out. The tech had his laptop plugged in to the car and was thumbing through the virtual catalog to try and match my aftermarket wheels ("do they look like these ones?"). As a side note, the virtual catalog he was using had many different wheel combos that I don't think were ever factory options.

Anyhow, after 10-15 minutes of trying to update the profile with the selected wheels, he thought a recent software update meant the update had to occur at corporate. He couldn't finish the update onsite. I never contacted corporate but may get around to it one of these days.

Sorry that probably doesn't help much, but I'll be monitoring the thread to see if it gets resolved.

I added a spoiler and changed to grey turbine wheels. My third annual service is coming up so I recently emailed service to add changing the avatar to reflect these changes and they replied...

We can definitely accommodate your 3rd Annual Service, avatar change and provide the Tesla Center Caps (Grey x4) The Center Caps are $7/each and they are in stock.

Reactions: wigalo
Well to my surprise I spoke with the SC today and they stated they were able to get in contact with Tesla and they approved the color change for my vehicle and the wheels because it is a wrap and removable. My SC stated that it should be an over the air change and I should see the results sometime today. I am keeping my fingers crossed but I will update again once it has been changed. Thanks for the feedback.

A good tech at my SC took 3 min and plugged into the car and adjusted my rims from 19 to 21's and could have changed quite a bit including colour, spoiler, fascia etc. It was a direct hard line not over the air.
:)

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
I had my service done today and they updated the wheels to the grey turbine in the avatar. I also asked them to add the spoiler but they missed it. It's not on the invoice which I got emailed to me later, and I also noticed it when I got in and drove off -- but I wanted to get to my cabin and it can wait until my next service.

Here's what it says on my invoice:

Concern: Touchscreen avatar update requested
Corrections: Update Display Avatar Updated display avatar to closest available wheel configuration.
Pay Type: Goodwill

• Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing
Avatar update completed today at my SC after they got clearance from Tesla HQ to do the color change. They changed the wheels to darker ones and the color to white. Very happy with the result! Thanks for all the feedback and I hope this thread helps others out who are looking to have their avatar updated due to cosmetic changes.

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
Avatar update completed today at my SC after they got clearance from Tesla HQ to do the color change. They changed the wheels to darker ones and the color to white. Very happy with the result! Thanks for all the feedback and I hope this thread helps others out who are looking to have their avatar updated due to cosmetic changes.
Glad to hear you were finally able to get your avatar updated. It's funny that they had to get "clearance from Tesla HQ" because so many others are able to get the change made by just asking at the service center or when the ranger comes out.