Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Avcon EVSE to 14-50 receptacle adapter box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ebay ad is gone as in sold. I have sent the builder a message asking if he will
be making more. Check the above evdl link to see any updates.
Wow that was fast, I knew there would be a demand for these, too bad there
aren't a supply of Avcon inlets anymore.

I hope they convert the Costco in Mountain View to J-plug. The old Avcon plug on it is falling apart and doesn't reliably charge my RangerEV anymore.
I would rather be able to plug in the Leaf there.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2203&d=1311972862.jpg

Attachments

• splitavcon.jpg
    splitavcon.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,012
[07/29/2011 latest update *** The ebay listing is gone, as in the
builder has sold what he had. I was told by the builder he will seek
out other sources for Avcon inlets, but this will take some time.

Since, once he has built an adapter he puts it up on ebay, if you
are interested in an adapter, you should
*routinely check ebay searching for Avcon
and his ad will show up.

Demand for these are high which is why this first batch sold so
quickly. Obviously some people are willing to spend the money to
enjoy their charging now, even if it is old EVSE and in the short
term.]

^^^ Read update above ^^^

Look quick before this one is snapped up as fast as the last one
Avcon Claw Type Adapter for old J1772 | eBay

If the link is closed/sold, check back and search ebay using keyword Avcon.

Cons: use of the adapter is short lived as all old EVSe will eventually be upgraded.

Pros: with an adapter, perfectly good working public old EVSE Avcon level 2 power could be accessed.

The build only has a handful of Avcon inlet adapters as Avcon inlets are no longer manufactured.

Good Luck,
{brucedp.150m.com}

*Update, if you want an adapter so you can have access to the level2 AC power of existing public Avcons, check out
Avcon Claw Type Adapter for old J1772 | eBay

There is only a handful of female Avcon inlet couplers around, so the small numbers of those interested in having this adapter, matches its small quality of adapters availability. The builder (not me) said he has built 10, so if you are interested and the ebay ad is up, they are available.

There will probably be some lone stragglers here and there for some time to come.
Although with Costco trashing their old EVSEs, the numbers are dwindling fast.
(Odd thought - what if some pay-per-use J1772 company lobbied Costco to dump their free chargers to get rid of the 'competition'?)

I still know of a good number of functional Avcons in the bay area.

Avcon->(14-50)->UMC->Tesla will still get someone a charge in a few places that would otherwise not work for them.

Some Leaf owners have 14-50 adapters made up for their mobile charge kits. I have one.

I just picked one of these up for $180 on eBay from evmodularpower. Maybe wasting my money, but I find these Avcons in hotels pretty often. For some reason modern J1772s don't seem to be getting adopted by hotels like the old paddles and Avcons did. I know I can use this at the Beverly Hilton, Union Station Gateway Plaza by the Amtrak station in LA, and at LAX, all of which I frequent. There are a couple J1772s at LAX but they are always taken by Leafs and Volts, whereas I think I'll have better luck with the Avcon. I also see that if I want to do the factory pickup of my S, I can take Highway 1 down through Big Sur and get a charge by Fisherman's Warf in Monterey (no J1772s in area yet) and stay at the Courtyard in Oxnard. We'll see.