Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average 400kw 2018 model s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We purchased our model s used and have been surprised by how low the range has been since we purchased it. We average close to 400kw and we are not in an extremely cold climate. We keep being told there is no issue with the battery and that it is the heating and speed that is an issue. I expect to loose some range for that but everyone we have talked to that have Teslas say they average 250kw to 300kw. Any thoughts on what could be causing the issue?

I think the units you're looking for are wh/mi ?

400wh/mi does seem high for a Model S. Driving fast and using the brake peddle will dramatically reduce range. Same as a gas car. Running the heater also consumes energy from the same battery, reducing range.

If you haven't already, I would enable high regen braking and learn to be a one peddle driver. I think I read it's upwards of 17% range increase.

That is high, but it could be possible due to driving patterns and habits. For example, if it's cooler out and you are doing multiple short trips with breaks in between, the car is doing a lot of extra work each time to get the cabin and components up to temperature. Or if you are driving at high speeds, up inclines, against wind, etc. Also, be sure you're comparing with other model S owners. I'm not sure I've ever averaged 250wh/mi on my MS.. at least, not for very long :)

Reactions: Smileysam
These are all things that reduce range:
- High speeds
- Cold temperatures
- Rain or snow
- Large (21" or bigger) wheels
- Summer tires
- Short trips
- Using the friction brakes
- Ludicrous+ mode (heats battery)
- Elevation increases
- Windows down or sunroof open
- Seized brake pads
- Failing wheel bearing(s)

As others have said, 400wh/mi is pretty high though. You should be closer to 300. Some people get below 300, but not regularly unless they live in warm climates and always garage their cars. I've seen sustained consumption over 400wh/mi on some trips, but those were in freezing temperatures on the highway with a gain in elevation.

Reactions: LoudMusic
My lifetime on my 2016 S (with 19" tires) was 329 W/mi, and I'm in California. Note that you indicated 400 kW, which is more than 1000 times normal. :) I and everyone else hear assumes you mean 400 W/mi.

One trick is to clear your "B" trip mileage and then don't reset it. It will show you the W/mi average over the time you own the car.

Most new owners find they use a lot more than average as that power is quite fun. Almost all the things you do that cause poor milage in an ICE car applies to EVs as well, although cold weather that requires heating will reduce your range more than in an ICE car which gets free heat from the engine.

Reactions: LoudMusic
Most new owners find they use a lot more than average as that power is quite fun. Almost all the things you do that cause poor milage in an ICE car applies to EVs as well, although cold weather that requires heating will reduce your range more than in an ICE car which gets free heat from the engine.
Except that ttaking off quickly (to your normal cruising speed) doesn't impact energy consumption the way it does in an ICE vehicle since EVs have much flatter efficiency curves at different power levels. Taking off in an ICE vehicle pushes the engine past its most efficient point in order to get more power. Higher load sometimes dictates a richer fuel mixture to boot, so the problem is compounded further, especially if the engine is high compression or has forced induction.

It's true there's no way around a cold weather penalty. Even if you use only the seat heaters, colder air is denser and takes more power to overcome wind resistance. ICE cars also have reduced mileage in the cold for this reason (and from the engine running richer for longer during warmup.)

I averaged about 317wh/mi in my P85D, mostly on 20" wheels and performance all seasons.

I've got a 2016 pre-facelift 90D with 19in wheels

Lots of short city trips in cold weather (think 10 mile round trip morning and afternoon to drop kids off / pick kids up at school and a couple 3 mile trips to stores etc) will easily yield deeply terrible efficiency 400-500Wh/mi. isn't surprising when it's cold and I've got snow tires on.

I've also driven from here to there at 90ish mph and gotten in the 350 Wh/mi range.

Driving around at 40mph (rural 2 lane highway) with the AC and heater off and all season tires I can get 230Wh/mi.