Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average age of Model 3 owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in my mid 40s and ordered an M3P. I’ve noticed over the past few weeks that most of the people posting photos with their cars are essentially kids. Are there any middle aged people with M3s or is it the new young persons EV?

I have no idea where these young’uns get the kind of money to buy a Tesla. In my 20s I was driving junk cars and making ends meet!

Loans are how a lot of people get cars they can't afford. Most of us (in the same age group as you) are able to financially just hop out and buy things without much effort because we're financially set. The people getting loans are also (in my opinion) why car prices have skyrocketed in the past 10 years. They think about 'how much does this cost per month' and not 'how much is the total cost of this'. Us driving sh1t cars for a decade and saving money, is why we can now afford things without worrying about costs.

But there's also a large number of young adults that have landed in amazing financial status, or come from a family in that situation, and I say good for them. Someone was working hard for the money they made and they deserve to enjoy every penny of it - but I still think most are from enormous auto loans. Oh and also, a lot of young adults are staying with their parents now and not having to worry about rent/mortgage. That alone is more than enough to cover the cost of a payment.

Last edited:
Side Hustle:
One of my neighbors’ teenager and his girlfriend both have Model 3s. From my understanding, they saved up through a side hustle of theirs. It’s the base model, but still one to be proud of!

Excessive Spending:
One of my cousins is in his early 20s and purchased a Model 3 even though his monthly payment makes up most of his paychecks.

Income:
I personally bought my Model 3 LR at age 22, right before buying a house. I’m fortunate enough to have a relatively well-paying job for my age as a lead software engineer.

So, in the end, the result is the same as most things in life: it varies. Here in LA, I’ve been seeing mostly young people with Teslas.

Loans is how a lot of people get cars they can't afford. Most of us (in the same age group as you) are able to financially just hop out and buy things without much effort because we're financially set. The people getting loans are also (in my opinion) why car prices have skyrocketed in the past 10 years. They think about 'how much does this cost per month' and not 'how much is the total cost of this'. Us driving sh1t cars for a decade and saving money, is why we can now afford things without worrying about costs.

But there's also a large number of young adults that have landed in amazing financial status, or come from a family in that situation, and I say good for them. Someone was working hard for the money they made and they deserve to enjoy every penny of it - but I still think most are from enormous auto loans. Oh and also, a lot of young adults are staying with their parents now and not having to worry about rent/mortgage. That alone is more than enough to cover the cost of a payment.
Nothing wrong with getting a loan regardless of age. If you want to go there, one can say buying a depreciating asset as expensive as a car outright is a dumb financial move (today's times excluded).From an investment standpoint, you can invest the $60k spent on a m3p and finance the car instead with a less than 2% rate and come out ahead but that's not the point.

People finance things for various reasons. Many more people lease model 3's which is obviously a whole different convo.

I’m in my mid 40s and ordered an M3P. I’ve noticed over the past few weeks that most of the people posting photos with their cars are essentially kids. Are there any middle aged people with M3s or is it the new young persons EV?

I have no idea where these young’uns get the kind of money to buy a Tesla. In my 20s I was driving junk cars and making ends meet!

Tesla attracts technology loving people. There are plenty of people who love technology who are not "kids". I can tell you that, because I said "yes" when they asked me if I would help TMC by moderating this subforum, I see most posts in the model 3 subforum. When people talk about age here, there are just as many "older" people as there are young ones.

TL ; DR ... this is likely more due to the fact that younger people are more likely to post pictures of themselves with their car everywhere, than it is some actual huge thing of only young people buying model 3s.

====================

(moderator note)

on a side note, this is a gentle warning for people to NOT turn this thread into some sort of referendum on peoples age and spending habits. Thats where threads like these tend to go, and it ends up being "#@#@Q millennial vs "Ok Boomer". If I see this thread going down that road I am simply going to lock it, without further warning (as the warning is right here).

Side hustle on Turo

Guy here locally put his model 3 on Turo, until someone ran it out of power on the way to the airport, abruptly parked it on top of a curb on the street, got out and caught an uber so he didn't miss his flight. Easy way to have your car in the shop for repairs for 3 months to make $200. Glad someone has the patience to deal with that kind of disrespect, because I do not.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I am over 70 years old and I think Tesla is good car for seniors, at least for me :)

I happen to think so to, with just a couple of exceptions.

1. These cars are FAST... even the "slow" ones are fast. As we age, its no secret or surprise that our reaction times diminish some. The "extreme" amount of acceleration in these cars relative to what many "older" people might typically be used to can be surprising. Care should be taken by those with diminishing reaction times to ensure they understand what the car will do.

Note that, its entirely possible that someones "diminished" skills are markedly better than another persons "full" ones. This is not ment as an "older people cant handle the acceleration" comment, just a call out.

2. The font size on the screen can be hard to read for those with "challenged" eyesight, and its also no secret that "older" people tend to fall into this category as well. Not only old people mind you, but in general, our eyesight is also one of those things that diminish with age, and seeing all the stuff on the tesla screen can be challenging with the smaller fonts they now use. Not only older people have this complaint, of course, but it is one that some have specifically called out here and I happen to agree with.

So back to my original question - are there many older folks driving Model 3s? I don’t want to that old guy driving a car that’s popular with the kids….
What is wrong with being an old guy driving a you kids car? Or listing to your kids music, or whatever.
Life is too short to worry about it. Drive a Model 3 or don't, it is up to the individual not an age thing.