Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average age of Model 3 owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m middle aged and see a lot of other people who look to be 40s+ driving Model 3s in the PNW. I agree jjrandorin, younger people are probably posting more about owning one.

I found this article saying the average Tesla owner is a 54 year old white male: Tesla Owner Demographics: Age, Gender, Ethnicity, Income, Children — EV UNITE

That analysis was done back in 2018, I bet the age has shifted down quite a bit - especially with the affordability becoming way more realistic for a 25-30 year old with the Model 3 and Y getting into higher production and availability.

I think you and @jjrandorin are right on about photo sharing, and the younger-ish crowd being more into mods - and that promoting posting photos even more. Hahaha, when I used to go to car shows with my Supra, I was the "old guy" representation and I was in my 30s :D

I also think we're seeing the EV become the car of desire among younger folks. I have young relatives and kids of friends who are into cars, and when I had my last Corvette, or Mustang they thought that was awesome - now all they talk about is Tesla, and other EVs, when they own their first cars, it'll very likely be an EV.

Modding a tesla is almost expected in L.A. since many just want a car that isn't like every other one on the road. Teslas are dime a dozen. All models, all over the place. People wrap them, put different wheels on it, tint, whatever. Tesla doesn't give you many options to customize your car and I personally am not a fan of seeing my exact same car/color/wheels/interior so often. Hell, there is 4 of the exact same model Y as mine. All 4 midnight silver, 2 white interior and 2 black. All LR with induction wheels except for my SR with aftermarket wheels. That's 4 just on my street of maybe 20-30 homes. About 15-20 teslas in my community. Probably more. They all look the same so yea, modifying it just sets you apart from every other tesla. Plus it's fun.

There needs to be a poll to get an accurate reading. late 30's here, got it 3 years ago. I like some here was originally going after Camry V6/altima V6/ family sedan with 300hp or so. Model 3 was considerably more expensive, still is but i love gadgets working in computer field. As some others have said, only if i invested my down payment back in 2018 rather than buy a car, but then i would have an awesome car for 3 years...

IMO, part of being an old guy is not giving a rip about what’s popular with the kids. 🤷‍♂️

I’m officially “old guy” status then!

Mid 40s …. And I see so many of the modder types and just know I’m not one of them. I just want a car I can drive and enjoy. Don’t worry for a second what others think or drive.

87D16AB7-ACD1-42A1-9ED7-B5DCB3CA1018.jpeg

My son after finishing up drivers training will be in a Model 3. So 16 will bring the average down.

Chime the I drove a beater when I was a kid response. I drove a beater also.

I really don't pay attention that much to cars as a material possession or a status symbol. They provide transportation safely for my family.

Age is a number just like a 3. 😃

Reactions: dmurphy
So back to my original question - are there many older folks driving Model 3s? I don’t want to that old guy driving a car that’s popular with the kids….
I'm 65 years old and I drive a M3P (have had it for over three years now). I love driving the car and the technology that is built into it. I haven't found it challenging to drive or an issue in any sense. I also own a Shelby GT500 with a six speed manual transmission that I find more challenging to drive than the Tesla (my car of preference). If I were to sell one of these cars tomorrow, it would be the Shelby. The Tesla is a hard car not to love, even at my age.