Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average age of Model 3 owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So back to my original question - are there many older folks driving Model 3s? I don’t want to that old guy driving a car that’s popular with the kids….
I am 48 I have friends that own them and they are 38 and 62. I don't think age matters much when it comes to what you enjoy driving. I know in todays times most people care what others think but I am hoping that will change and we can get out of this mob mentality one day.

According to this report the typical Model 3 owner is male, 46 years old with an income of $123K and doesn't own a home (and likely to live in California).

Its not clear from when they are pulling this data. The tag line at the bottom of the post quotes 2018, 2019 and 2021. It also doesnt read just like market research to me. They have "over 30,000" as one category for tesla model 3 owners by state, then "3,000 to 30,000" as the second category. I personally would not lump a state with 27k teslas with one that has 3200 as being in the same category.

There is no doubt that CA has the largest amount of tesla model 3 ownership, and thats still likely true.. but as I said, the article doesnt read like market research to me.

I happen to think so to, with just a couple of exceptions.

1. These cars are FAST... even the "slow" ones are fast. As we age, its no secret or surprise that our reaction times diminish some. The "extreme" amount of acceleration in these cars relative to what many "older" people might typically be used to can be surprising. Care should be taken by those with diminishing reaction times to ensure they understand what the car will do.

Note that, its entirely possible that someones "diminished" skills are markedly better than another persons "full" ones. This is not ment as an "older people cant handle the acceleration" comment, just a call out.

2. The font size on the screen can be hard to read for those with "challenged" eyesight, and its also no secret that "older" people tend to fall into this category as well. Not only old people mind you, but in general, our eyesight is also one of those things that diminish with age, and seeing all the stuff on the tesla screen can be challenging with the smaller fonts they now use. Not only older people have this complaint, of course, but it is one that some have specifically called out here and I happen to agree with.
Both really good points. Hopefully FSD will be a thing in the not toooo distant future. Also, thankfully many of the commands in a Tesla are voice activated. As time goes on, these features will only get better.

I’m in my mid 40s and ordered an M3P. I’ve noticed over the past few weeks that most of the people posting photos with their cars are essentially kids. Are there any middle aged people with M3s or is it the new young persons EV?

I have no idea where these young’uns get the kind of money to buy a Tesla. In my 20s I was driving junk cars and making ends meet!

Well… I think younger people are more apt to post photos on social media.

Loans are how a lot of people get cars they can't afford. Most of us (in the same age group as you) are able to financially just hop out and buy things without much effort because we're financially set. The people getting loans are also (in my opinion) why car prices have skyrocketed in the past 10 years. They think about 'how much does this cost per month' and not 'how much is the total cost of this'. Us driving sh1t cars for a decade and saving money, is why we can now afford things without worrying about costs.
One interesting statistic I ran across a while ago is that the majority of BMWs are now leased. For those in the "young, high disposable income" brackets living in places like SF or NYC, a car is now more like an iPhone .. something you renew every 2-3 years when the "new model" arrives, and regard payments as rent you pay in perpetuity. I suppose if you are already paying $3500/month in apt rental the extra for the car lease seems trivial by comparison. Sad days.

Reactions: rpiotro and Sam1
I’m 53 with a 4 y/o model 3. Love it, just ordered another (want a dual motor). But I can tell that at some point it’s not going to be much fun to get in and out of. My father in law really struggles with this. No picnic for me when I am sore from physical activity. I’ll need something that sits higher up by age 60. A Y sized car isn’t so bad, but it doesn’t handle as well. Don’t see myself as an S owner ever.

1. These cars are FAST... even the "slow" ones are fast. As we age, its no secret or surprise that our reaction times diminish some. The "extreme" amount of acceleration in these cars relative to what many "older" people might typically be used to can be surprising. Care should be taken by those with diminishing reaction times to ensure they understand what the car will do.

Note that, its entirely possible that someones "diminished" skills are markedly better than another persons "full" ones. This is not ment as an "older people cant handle the acceleration" comment, just a call out.

2. The font size on the screen can be hard to read for those with "challenged" eyesight, and its also no secret that "older" people tend to fall into this category as well. Not only old people mind you, but in general, our eyesight is also one of those things that diminish with age, and seeing all the stuff on the tesla screen can be challenging with the smaller fonts they now use. Not only older people have this complaint, of course, but it is one that some have specifically called out here and I happen to agree with.
Keep the body agile and do neck turning excercises. I am used to fast cars and know how the react in different situations. Eyes still good. They say people with not the highest IQ are able to keep their mind on the driving and do not overthink, maybe that's my secret..ha ha. The most challenging things being old ( I am 71 ) are the insane things other people on the road. I get lots of people who block me out when merging, or after I drive by them in the fast lane, they speed up and try to cut in front of me...I don't know why, but it all keep me " on my toes".

I don't take kindly to ageists...

Reactions: CharleyBC and GLM3
I wonder how many youngster's had to look that word up. Over 70 as well, love my M3P.
I agree we loose some reaction time as we age, some do have vision issues, but I would challenge anyone on an Autocross course.
Actually, I forgot to put a :) at the end of that sentence. That said, " I would challenge anyone on an Autocross course." Thanks to jwharnish for that.