Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average age of Model 3 owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I happen to think so to, with just a couple of exceptions.

1. These cars are FAST... even the "slow" ones are fast. As we age, its no secret or surprise that our reaction times diminish some. The "extreme" amount of acceleration in these cars relative to what many "older" people might typically be used to can be surprising. Care should be taken by those with diminishing reaction times to ensure they understand what the car will do.
Although the slowest Model 3 is faster than most "stereotypical senior citizen cars" (Cadillacs, Buicks, Lincolns, Lexuses), the latter are hardly slow (0-60 in 7-8 seconds is not slow, despite what some here thing), so someone prone to flooring the accelerator inappropriately could easily get into trouble with such a car.

In terms of diminishing reaction times, whichever car company comes up with actual level 5 autonomous self-driving (or level 4 within boundaries that include one's actual driving uses) may well find a market among senior citizens who have enough money to buy one. Many senior citizens self-limit their driving, but that can be a problem if where they want to go when is outside of the limits of their driving comfort, so actual level 5 autonomous self-driving would be desirable for them.

The hood stats:
3 model 3's 60's
2 model 3's 50's
2 model 3's 30's

Most Germans live at home until there 30's so it skews the data a bit.
Most Germans buy there cars with cash.
If your going into the city to party, you take the bus/trains
That rush of going 100+ mph in a blink of an eye never gets old

I'm 12 but hope to have my driver's license someday. Most of my friends in 6th grade also have a Tesla. We prefer the performance models like my M3P but a few of us don't have a big enough allowance for that. Sad......
Hey you crazy kids, stop hacking my account and stay off of my lawn!

68, M3P, cash.......

I'm sorry, but I didn't read through all of the 6 pages of responses, but I did see that I am not the oldest owner.

I bought my M3 in December of 2019 when I was middle aged and now I am 77; my wife is a youngster of 75. I don't feel old and try not to act old. I've always enjoyed sporty cars, but never had one like this before, at least in terms of acceleration, which I use when appropriate. My wife, on the other hand, does not like it when I take advantage of the accelertation. But it can be helpful (as well as fun). An example I have used was when I was in the left lane on the NYS Thruway passing a truck in the middle lane that was doing between 65 and 70. He started to pull into my lane and I was too far alongside to brake and get behind him, so I accelerated past him. I could not have done that in my Subaru Ascent, or most other cars.

I find it handles well on curves as well. It is comfortable and fun to drive.

We have friends who got a Model 3 after talking to me, and others, and they always drive it in Chill mode.

The lack of mechanical, or standard, controls does not bother me, with a few exceptions. I'd like to get into the glove box without navigating menus. I think the wipers should be back on a card as should the tire pressures. The heated seat control should be on the main screen. I think there are a few others that irk, but overall, I am fine with the screen instead of dozens of buttons and knobs. The OTA updates are an easy way ot improve the car.

One advantage I have not seen mentioned is the adjustment of the air vents. In our Ascent it is not possible for me (at 5'8") to reach from the driver's seat to the right hand air vent to adjust it without rising up from the seat, which I don't do while driving. In the Tesla I can easlily control all the vents from my seat.

Let's have a cheer for us oldsters!!

I'm sorry, but I didn't read through all of the 6 pages of responses, but I did see that I am not the oldest owner.

I bought my M3 in December of 2019 when I was middle aged and now I am 77; my wife is a youngster of 75. I don't feel old and try not to act old. I've always enjoyed sporty cars, but never had one like this before, at least in terms of acceleration, which I use when appropriate. My wife, on the other hand, does not like it when I take advantage of the accelertation. But it can be helpful (as well as fun). An example I have used was when I was in the left lane on the NYS Thruway passing a truck in the middle lane that was doing between 65 and 70. He started to pull into my lane and I was too far alongside to brake and get behind him, so I accelerated past him. I could not have done that in my Subaru Ascent, or most other cars.

I find it handles well on curves as well. It is comfortable and fun to drive.

We have friends who got a Model 3 after talking to me, and others, and they always drive it in Chill mode.

The lack of mechanical, or standard, controls does not bother me, with a few exceptions. I'd like to get into the glove box without navigating menus. I think the wipers should be back on a card as should the tire pressures. The heated seat control should be on the main screen. I think there are a few others that irk, but overall, I am fine with the screen instead of dozens of buttons and knobs. The OTA updates are an easy way ot improve the car.

One advantage I have not seen mentioned is the adjustment of the air vents. In our Ascent it is not possible for me (at 5'8") to reach from the driver's seat to the right hand air vent to adjust it without rising up from the seat, which I don't do while driving. In the Tesla I can easlily control all the vents from my seat.

Let's have a cheer for us oldsters!!
I have to agree, lacking some of the easy to access controls can be a littly anoying especially when driving.

Glovebox, I just use voice command to open glovebox. Got tired of looking for it in new V11. I think heated seat will also respond to voice command, but haven't tried that one.

Reactions: Andy7
I’m in my mid 40s and ordered an M3P. I’ve noticed over the past few weeks that most of the people posting photos with their cars are essentially kids. Are there any middle aged people with M3s or is it the new young persons EV?

I have no idea where these young’uns get the kind of money to buy a Tesla. In my 20s I was driving junk cars and making ends meet!
It's the new Honda Civic in my opinion. But I'm 50 ish and just got a new long range

Nothing wrong with getting a loan regardless of age. If you want to go there, one can say buying a depreciating asset as expensive as a car outright is a dumb financial move (today's times excluded).From an investment standpoint, you can invest the $60k spent on a m3p and finance the car instead with a less than 2% rate and come out ahead but that's not the point.

People finance things for various reasons. Many more people lease model 3's which is obviously a whole different convo.
I have the money invested also and took out a 1.24 loan. Most of the time though people are t even close to having this amount of money set aside plus an emergency fund and also out of debt. So they live paycheck to paycheck scrounging up the monthly Tesla nut thinking they can afford it

I’m in my mid 40s and ordered an M3P. I’ve noticed over the past few weeks that most of the people posting photos with their cars are essentially kids. Are there any middle aged people with M3s or is it the new young persons EV?
Interesting comment. I haven't noticed that many young folks where I live. I'm far on the high side of middle-aged and when I first saw the M3 out at the Spark GF, I said there is no way I am going to buy one of those things. BUT. it was for reasons that don't apply to most people. I sure am seeing lots of them on the road these days with people of all ages driving them. I follow it in the treads as I like to see what people say about all the models.

Reactions: KrenGrl