Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average age?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im curious if anyone has started a poll to determine the average age of current M3 reservation holders? I keep reading articles saying the car is for younger people but I waited in line overnight at the Walnut Creek, CA store and to me most of the people there seemed to be older.

I think the younger tech crowd is definitely more aware of Tesla, but I can definitely see how the ones who lined up overnight would tend to be older. Those putting deposits down I would presume to be in the workforce already with some degree of disposable income to afford an entry level luxury vehicle. The younger folks who are just starting out in the workforce don't necessarily have the luxury of taking a day off to line up to put a deposit on a car. When I went to Yorkdale Mall in Toronto around 3pm, I didn't have to wait, and there were students and young families putting deposits. The M3 looks great though, I can see it having broad appeal to all age groups who are looking for a sedan.

So, you've got your greybeards who have been waiting for something like this for a very long time. So many years of, well, cars made the ICE way, and it's time for a change. Then you have your kids, who see it as cool, slick, iPhone-on-wheels kind of appeal. And when you average the two, you get something in the middle that doesn't recognize either group. That's statistics for you :)

Edit: I just looked at the poll, and it says I'm full of it :D I'm sticking with my opinions about statistics, though.

Reactions: SageBrush
I think the younger tech crowd is definitely more aware of Tesla, but I can definitely see how the ones who lined up overnight would tend to be older. Those putting deposits down I would presume to be in the workforce already with some degree of disposable income to afford an entry level luxury vehicle. The younger folks who are just starting out in the workforce don't necessarily have the luxury of taking a day off to line up to put a deposit on a car. When I went to Yorkdale Mall in Toronto around 3pm, I didn't have to wait, and there were students and young families putting deposits. The M3 looks great though, I can see it having broad appeal to all age groups who are looking for a sedan.

I disagree. I think the sky is falling crowd came out in droves to save the Earth and reserved the M3 with cash they necessarily didn't have. I'm going to say over 25% of all reservations will go unfilled.

I wouldn't be surprised if reservation holders are older but once in production the average buyer is younger. The few younger folks I know interested in Tesla didn't line up for reservations, but do seem seriously interested and may very well buy one once they are in production.

In a little over a week, I'll be 43. Waited in line on Mar 31st to put my deposit down. I've been a huge Tesla fan since the Roadster days, bought in on the IPO ($21.66/share), am tech-oriented, own my home, am married, and have a 12-year old boy and a 13-year old girl. Currently driving a 2005 Mercedes C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan, and will hang onto this car until my M≡ arrives.

Cintoman

I was curious about the age of those who were lined up as well. Based on the people I saw at Century City, Los Angeles, I want to say the average age was early 30s. As for me, I'll admit I'm on the lower end of the age range at 26. Will be 28 by the time the Model 3 gets into production. People my age are very well aware of Tesla, even those I wouldn't expect to be into tech or cars.

And as for fulfilling the reservation, yes that's going to happen. Will still hang onto my 12 y/o (will be 14 by Model 3 production) car though... grown attached to it, and its taught me a lot.

There were a lot of full heads of grey in our line so it's interesting to see different peoples thoughts on why they wanted the car. Personally I'm 29(30 this month) and work in the trades. My biggest attraction to the M3 was having an attractive vehicle that doesn't require gas for my long commutes. Seems the M3 attracts people from all walks of life.

I first became interested in TESLA EV's several years ago, but kept putting off the purchase, for one reason or another. The main reason was the lack of AWD. Once the 2nd motor was added, I found another excuse, etc. Now, with the Model 3 virtually around the corner, I have reason for optimism. Note that I'll be 77 at the earliest by the end of 2017. Anyone out there older?

I'm 29 and waited in line too. I'd venture to say I was on the front end of the bell curve. I'm impressed at the range (EV joke?) of people Tesla has been able to attract. No shocked but impressed. I'm a software developer, gamer, and all around nerd and have been watching/investing in TSLA for some time. Never could afford an S so this is going to be my 'all in'. AWD will be a must for me because I see it replacing my FJ Cruiser. Not in terms of mountain adventures but for nasty weather driving. But I digress.

I am 54, have been driving a standard Civic for the last 8 years while waiting and hoping for a practical EV that I can afford. Thank you Elon for making this a reality that I am also excited about more than any car since the Mustang I bought when I was 20. I almost bought a Prius instead of a Civic 8 yrs ago> I just tested the new Prius and if it had been available then I would have purchased it.

The Model 3 will be my retirement car and along with solar panels will help me reach my goal of getting off Ontario's outrageously priced electric grid. I am excited about all of the possibilities the Model 3 presents, the range, charging network, autopilot, acceleration... I can see this being my vehicle for the rest of my life. While I certainly understand the appeal to younger buyers who seem to dominate in the survey the appeal to those of us who still have that spirit, and enough cash will lead to a lot of the actual sales in my opinion.