TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Average Annual Mileage

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Shinteetah, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Shinteetah

Shinteetah Member

Bad, bad new car owner! I am 120% overdue for my "annual" service (in 6 months of driving) and nearly 300% overdue for my tire rotation. Fortunately my warranty is unaffected by such negligence, and I'm now scheduled for pickup tomorrow.

I got curious about an "annual or 12,500 miles" service and went to look up statistics. The average American woman in my age bracket drives just under 11,500 miles per year on average. I'm over 14,000 so far and we're just half done. Plus, the remaining part of the year will have more long hauls: Indiana to Denver, to Philadelphia, and to Texas, all on separate runs, as well as regular shorter ones to other midwest states.

This is one reason I'm happy to now have an EV. (It's also why I'm glad I let my husband talk me into upgrading to the Next Gen seats, as my back is much happier in these than in previous car seats.)

I'm curious, do Tesla drivers tend to be higher-mileage drivers in general?

2. ION eDRV

ION eDRV Member

41k miles on my Sept. 2014 MS. I'm finally getting around to taking her in for the 3rd 12.5k checkup....
    I wouldn't characterize myself as a "high mileage" driver but I can't wait to drive every day since I got her...
    ;-)

3. cschock

cschock Member

We're all over the map. You see some people with 2000 miles a year (tops) Garage Kings and then you have those that put 40K or more on them with epic every day commutes. I am betting the "average" Model S owner comes in around the average for the fleet as a whole in the US. That would more or less be me... we've put around 12000 miles per year on the Model S over 3+ years.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

71.5K miles in 3 1/3 years. About 50% travel and 50% commute.

5. Doug4650

Doug4650 Member

Not driving more or less than my previous car. Life and work control my miles. But I'm enjoying driving a lot more. 8,500 miles in 11 months.

6. liuping

liuping Active Member

I just have my 12,000 mile service. They said there was no need to rotate tires (did not need to at 6000 miles either). With Dual motors the tire seem to wear extremely evenly.

I usually average just under 20k miles per year. It's my daily commuter and pretty much the only car we use on weekends and road trips.

7. glenhurst

glenhurst Member

30,000 miles in a year and a half. Prior to the Tesla our two cars only added up to about 15,000 miles a year. So, yeah, with the Tesla we drive more because it's so delightful.

8. PA70D

PA70D Member

20,000 miles in the first year of ownership. Did the 12,500 mile service myself cost around $60 in parts. Rotate tires every 5,000 miles see very little difference in wear between the front and the back.

9. pedriscoll

pedriscoll True Blue Tesla Fan

20,000 miles exactly at 12 months. Planning on doing the "yearly" service soon

10. Shinteetah

Shinteetah Member

Well, that's nice to hear! Particularly as I am, hm, less than stellar at remembering tire rotations, no matter what I drive.

11. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

40,000 since taking delivery on June 1, 2015. What do I win?

12. Shinteetah

Shinteetah Member

A giant golden gear shift!

Seriously, that's cool to hear. :)

13. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

120k miles in 3.6 years

• Like x 1