Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average Annual Mileage

Shinteetah

Nov 17, 2015
Indianapolis
Bad, bad new car owner! I am 120% overdue for my "annual" service (in 6 months of driving) and nearly 300% overdue for my tire rotation. Fortunately my warranty is unaffected by such negligence, and I'm now scheduled for pickup tomorrow.

I got curious about an "annual or 12,500 miles" service and went to look up statistics. The average American woman in my age bracket drives just under 11,500 miles per year on average. I'm over 14,000 so far and we're just half done. Plus, the remaining part of the year will have more long hauls: Indiana to Denver, to Philadelphia, and to Texas, all on separate runs, as well as regular shorter ones to other midwest states.

This is one reason I'm happy to now have an EV. (It's also why I'm glad I let my husband talk me into upgrading to the Next Gen seats, as my back is much happier in these than in previous car seats.)

I'm curious, do Tesla drivers tend to be higher-mileage drivers in general?

ION eDRV

Aug 21, 2014
Moorpark, CA.
41k miles on my Sept. 2014 MS. I'm finally getting around to taking her in for the 3rd 12.5k checkup....
I wouldn't characterize myself as a "high mileage" driver but I can't wait to drive every day since I got her...
;-)

cschock

Jul 25, 2013
California
We're all over the map. You see some people with 2000 miles a year (tops) Garage Kings and then you have those that put 40K or more on them with epic every day commutes. I am betting the "average" Model S owner comes in around the average for the fleet as a whole in the US. That would more or less be me... we've put around 12000 miles per year on the Model S over 3+ years.

jerry33

(S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20
Supporting Member
Mar 8, 2012
Texas
71.5K miles in 3 1/3 years. About 50% travel and 50% commute.

liuping

Jul 23, 2013
San Diego
nearly 300% overdue for my tire rotation.
I just have my 12,000 mile service. They said there was no need to rotate tires (did not need to at 6000 miles either). With Dual motors the tire seem to wear extremely evenly.

I usually average just under 20k miles per year. It's my daily commuter and pretty much the only car we use on weekends and road trips.

glenhurst

Aug 2, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
30,000 miles in a year and a half. Prior to the Tesla our two cars only added up to about 15,000 miles a year. So, yeah, with the Tesla we drive more because it's so delightful.

PA70D

Jan 2, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
20,000 miles in the first year of ownership. Did the 12,500 mile service myself cost around $60 in parts. Rotate tires every 5,000 miles see very little difference in wear between the front and the back.

Shinteetah

Nov 17, 2015
Indianapolis
I just have my 12,000 mile service. They said there was no need to rotate tires (did not need to at 6000 miles either). With Dual motors the tire seem to wear extremely evenly.
Well, that's nice to hear! Particularly as I am, hm, less than stellar at remembering tire rotations, no matter what I drive.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC