Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average Energy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
I know there are similar topics but i’m still confused.
Got my 3LR mid Dec and have done 4.7k miles.
Around 80% of my usage is on the motorway but I’m still surprised at my lack of range.
My average energy is showing as 275 Wh/mi.
Does this sound about right?

There are definitely a LOT of threads talking about this topic, you're right about that. The 275 wh/mi number is not totally out of the ordinary if you have some boxes checked:
  • Percentage of highway (at 80% you definitely have this checked)
  • Your speed on the highway
  • Temperature (both cold and hot are bad in different ways)
  • Amount of rain and wind (I'm guessing UK is not ideal in that category)
  • Your driving habit
You've provided very little information in your post to solicit any useful reply.

Hi
Around 80% of my usage is on the motorway but I’m still surprised at my lack of range.

Higher (motorway) speeds are less efficient than slower speeds in an EV.

For example, the same distance at 30mph would reduce energy consumption significantly.

Hi
Since October, over 4000 miles, mine is 354. Lifetime over 13500 is 328. M3P

Hi
I got my M3LR late last year and first long run about 1 Oct. Have covered 7500 miles from new and am averaging 278 Wh/mi, with most miles on long runs. The Oct runs were better at about 250/260, which was because it was warmer and then dropped off as it got colder. I think it will improve as the weather warms.

Yours sounds about right to me.

Reactions: RudeyRude1
I’m still surprised at my lack of range

Lack of range (on a long journey)?, or "Fuel consumption" (in terms of overall cost-of-motoring) ?

If comparing against the statutory WLTP etc. figure the max-range is pants.

My view is that the only range that matters is on "out of range days". For me most of those are hammering along the motorway, hour after hour, at 70-plus-a-bit. If I'm just pottering around the countryside, or nipping to the shops, I'm not going to run out of juice. I get home and plug in.

Whereas the WLTP etc. tests are combined-cycle driving. Some slow, some fast. Which is fine for "What would it cost me, on average, to fill up the car" but that's a hang over from ICE cars and useless for "How far can I go on the motorway"

Also, you can't realistically run it until empty. So you can start your journey at 100% and then fill up at 10%. That's only 90% of your motorway-range.

Then when you stop you fill it to 80% (70% would be more efficient, 80% doesn't slow down that much, above 80% slows down a fair bit,, and above 90% charging slows down a lot)

So your 2nd (and subsequent) leg is 80% to 10% which is only 70% of max motorway-range.

And that's assuming that there is a Charging Stop exactly at that point in your journey.

Each leg is still a couple of hours motoring ... so when driving to the Alps, for example, my Model-S will do 2h30m between charges at 130 KPH. But because Superchargers are not perfectly placed my stops vary between 1h30m and 2h10m. Actually I arrive far more refreshed, stopping every 1h30 - 2h10m for 20 minutes each time and stretching my legs (and emptying my bladder!). On a 12 hour journey it adds about an hour compared to when we just swapped drivers and pressed on - and arrived knackered.

Personally I think the test should be "Range hammering along the motorway" so that on those days you know how far you can go.

Using ABetterRoutePlanner with some reasonably pessimistic parameters it reckons Motorway Range for M3LR is 201 miles - 334 Wh/mile.

If I set max speed to 50 MPH that changes to 285 mile range and 234 Wh/mile

Then there is cold, wet and windy weather. In Winter on a long (single-leg) journey I reckon to have 10% less range, and that's assuming that I pre-condition the car, off the mains, before I leave. If I have to do that off the battery then I have even less range. Bad news for the travelling salesman in Winter who stops at each Client for an hour - during which time the battery gets cold, and every time setting off has a significant energy-penalty.

Slowing down increases range - slowing from 70 MPH to 50MPH is very significant. But the wet weather aspect is different. Slowing down helps with aero, but not the wet. Still got the same number of miles of water to push out of the way. Same in an ICE car, just with its much greater range it isn't so noticeable.

Reactions: RudeyRude1