Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average Estimate Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It really depends on your current breaker panel. If you have 200 amp service, you should have an easy time. Your main breaker should indicate the panel’s service rating. I put in a 60 amp breaker with 4 gauge wire.

Fortunately I was able to mount my wall charger pretty much right next to my panel. I had maybe 5’ of 4 gauge wire to run through some conduit. I spent maybe 140 bucks on parts, not including the wall charger itself obviously. Go with the 4 gauge, particularly if you have a longer run from your breaker box to your wall charger. Electricians try to go with lighter wire because the heavier gauge stuff is a pain in the ass to get thru conduit and they’re less likely to have it on hand unless they work with wiring bigger devices up frequently. Given that the wall connector offers up to 4 gauge, it’s a no brainer to go big if you’re going to be running the full 48 amps. You’ll see less heat building up as a result and hopefully have fewer posts wondering why your charger keeps reporting overheating events.

48 amps smokes! It’ll recharge 12-15% per hour on a model Y long range. Or around 10.5 kWh per hour. You could cut wood with the spinning dial in the electric meter at that rate.

Reactions: Daekwan and PACEMD
I agree but should point out that 6 gauge thhn wire in 3/4" conduit is fine and within code for most of these 60 amp installations. It's not going to overheat if installed correctly. The 4 gauge wires would need 1" conduit and blah blah blah.........but do your own research........

Was just quoted $2336 for a 60 Amp circuit and a 70 foot run in Birmingham Alabama area. Just about had to hold my heart on that one!
If this is for a garage then why not install a 100A sub panel in the garage and then install a 60A breaker, circuit from the sub panel to the Wall Connector. You might save some money if the electrician installs multi-strand aluminum wire (not single strand aluminum wire) from the service panel to the sub panel. Aluminum wire costs, per foot, less than 25% of what copper wire costs today. (The feeder wire coming into your home is probably stranded aluminum.) Ask the electrician.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Was just quoted $2336 for a 60 Amp circuit and a 70 foot run in Birmingham Alabama area. Just about had to hold my heart on that one!
If this is for a garage then why not install a 100A sub panel in the garage and then install a 60A breaker, circuit from the sub panel to the Wall Connector. You might save some money if the electrician installs multi-strand aluminum wire (not single strand aluminum wire) from the service panel to the sub panel. Aluminum wire costs, per foot, less than 25% of what copper wire costs today. (The feeder wire coming into your home is probably stranded aluminum.) Ask the electrician.
Thank you! Will do that. Actually have a 100 amp sub panel already in the garage but the company wanted to run another circuit from the main panel (I agreed that it would have been better in case I ever reached the load max of the sub panel). But in retrospect I think what you said above makes more sense (and is more economical). I will revisit this because let’s just say, the total they gave me shocked me just a bit.

Exactly what I did! Big cost savings.

Thank you! Will do that. Actually have a 100 amp sub panel already in the garage but the company wanted to run another circuit from the main panel (I agreed that it would have been better in case I ever reached the load max of the sub panel). But in retrospect I think what you said above makes more sense (and is more economical). I will revisit this because let’s just say, the total they gave me shocked me just a bit.
Or, I think sometimes people overestimate how big they really need on a home charging circuit sometimes, like overkill is still not enough type of thing. If you can put a 30 or 40A circuit off that 100A subpanel in the garage, that's probably plenty and much cheaper.

Reactions: btenison and jcanoe
Let me just say you all are very encouraging on here. Makes me even more excited about my decision to take the plunge and get a Tesla. Thank you for the information. Will post my results once I get a modified quote in case anyone is interested.
Another idea, since you already have a sub panel in the garage is their room and capacity for a 240V 50A or 40A breaker? You could wire the Wall Connector for 60A circuit on a 50A or 40A breaker. Later, if you feel you need to go the faster charging speed that the 60A circuit would enable you could install the second sub panel, the electrician could move the wires for the Wall Connector circuit over to the second sub panel. (You would have to plan for the second sub panel to be positioned a little closer to the Wall Connector so the wires could be moved. (I don't believe the electrician would want to leave any extra wire length but could reposition the Wall Connector wires, cut the wires back as needed when connecting to the new panel.)

Unless you drive more than 150 miles per day and have a very restrictive TOU of peak rate plan, i.e. 1200 midnight to 0600 AM or similar you would almost certainly be able to charge the Tesla overnight using any of 40A, 50A or 60A in plenty of time.

Reactions: btenison
Or, I think sometimes people overestimate how big they really need on a home charging circuit sometimes, like overkill is still not enough type of thing. If you can put a 30 or 40A circuit off that 100A subpanel in the garage, that's probably plenty and much cheaper.
Not that I would do overkill on anything (don't ask my wife!)... Plus I'm an engineer, so, there's that too. Honestly, the only things on the sub-panel are a lathe and a dust extractor. And they are only used periodically... I think a 60 amp circuit off of that sub-panel is the way to go (and a fairly short run to where I would want the charger installed anyway).

Another idea, since you already have a sub panel in the garage is their room and capacity for a 240V 50A or 40A breaker? You could wire the Wall Connector for 60A circuit on a 50A or 40A breaker. Later, if you feel you need to go the faster charging speed that the 60A circuit would enable you could install the second sub panel, the electrician could move the wires for the Wall Connector circuit over to the second sub panel. (You would have to plan for the second sub panel to be positioned a little closer to the Wall Connector so the wires could be moved. (I don't believe the electrician would want to leave any extra wire length but could reposition the Wall Connector wires, cut the wires back as needed when connecting to the new panel.)

Unless you drive more than 150 miles per day and have a very restrictive TOU of peak rate plan, i.e. 1200 midnight to 0600 AM or similar you would almost certainly be able to charge the Tesla overnight using any of 40A, 50A or 60A in plenty of time.
I think that, (and like I just replied to @Rocky_H), since I don't really have much on the sub-panel as far as use (expecially, like you said, during charging times, which aren't restrictive in Alabama), that I will do the sub-panel approach. Probably will go ahead with the 60A breaker and wire to support it... I have an electrician coming by this morning to take a look at this approach. I really do appreciate all the input!!!

Reactions: Rocky_H
Man these electricians in OC SOCAL are charging alot to install a wall charger! 300-500!

Man these electricians in OC SOCAL are charging alot to install a wall charger! 300-500!

What were the average costs for you guys in the area? Also, if you have a recommendation on an electrician let me know or DM ME!

Our home should have a conduit for electric wall charger installation and the install is directly behind the breaker box outside so the cost shouldn't be that high right?

Also, I was planning on doing a 60 amp breaker with 4 gauge wire however one electrician said that 6 gauge wiring is the highest size you can install on the gen 3 wall charger.

One guy wants me to use 75A 6 gauge wire. But from the people here, I know even 60 is pushing it.

Is that true?

Thanks!
$300 - $500 is not a lot to install a wall connector. That's about what I would charge in LA.

No need for conduit, just run Romex 6-2 since it's not exposed.

I will add that the Gen 3 is WAY less time consuming than the Gen 2 wall connectors.

Side note, you have a large panel and there's no need for the tandem breakers. If it were my house, I would change out the tandem breakers to standard breakers. $5-10 a pop.

Reactions: everydaychris