Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average Estimate Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind when complaining about how much time that the electrician is on-site and what the total cost is that:
- The electrician spent time in transit to and from your location
- The electrician spent his own un-billable time and money purchasing supplies ahead of time
- Part of what you are paying for is years to decades of training and experience
- The electrician has liability attached to the installation that will cost him money directly and indirectly for years to come
- If the electrician is above board, he is running a business with considerable overhead likely including: vehicle payments, vehicle maintenance, tools, insurance, state licensing, city licensing, payroll, employee benefits, taxes, rent, office maintenance, office equipment, marketing, continuing training, debt collection, professional services (legal, accounting, etc).

$300 for someone to come to your house and do a professional job of installing a HPWC seems like a bargain (at least in So. Cal).

Believe me, I’m very well aware of the overhead costs for a business like a electrician - my dad founded a plumbing repair business and ran it successfully for 40 years, and I worked as a journeyman plumber for a few years - but $300 for 40 minutes on-site work, even accounting for all the overhead costs, is a healthy profit margin. I’m not complaining - it was a competitive price, and I got equivalent or even higher quotes from other electricians in the area, and felt the company I went with did the most thorough work up on their quote so I was comfortable with them doing the job - just saying...that’s a healthy profit margin ;).

The installer told me he had ten more of these lined up that day in my area (I was the first job of the day). The law of supply and demand continues to work; if the demand weren’t there, the price would be cheaper.

After getting quotes from 800-1200 for a ~20ft run across the the garage. I had a family friend electrician come over and he charged me $200 for a bit over an hour of his time. I told him my other quotes and his mind was blown how someone could charge that much for such a simple project.

Mine was in metal clad, 6 gauge, 3 wire for 40’ and cost $1000 including taxes and permit for my 60 amp line. I’m getting 42m/hr charging here in South Jersey.

That's good to know. Probably a little higher here in central NJ. Was the run simple? I suspect about the same length, but will probably go out from the basement though cinder blocks along the foundation and back in to the garage, up and over to the front where I'd expect to terminate between the two garage doors. So may be more like 50'.

I paid $1300 in Chicago to go from my unit, outside building, along fire escape, down to garage and then installed Tesla charger. Probably 50 ft of conduit and mounting to metal. I had to patch the drywall near box. And this was one of the better quotes.

Also, not a lot of people seem to know this, but there is an IRS Form 8911 for EV charging installation credit so save your receipts.

Reactions: Srad600Volt
I paid $1300 in Chicago to go from my unit, outside building, along fire escape, down to garage and then installed Tesla charger. Probably 50 ft of conduit and mounting to metal. I had to patch the drywall near box. And this was one of the better quotes.

Also, not a lot of people seem to know this, but there is an IRS Form 8911 for EV charging installation credit so save your receipts.

Is it just the installation cost only or you can deduct the cost of both the charger and installation?

Did you or anyone get a Permit for your city after installation? Not sure if we need to
Yes.

My city’s code is any new dedicated electrical circuit install needs a permit and inspection. My electrician pulled the permit for me (for a fee) and got the inspector in touch with me to schedule the inspection, and I gave the inspector the paperwork and got my signed copy at the inspection (which was a few days after the install). I just don’t see the upside in saving maybe $150-200 max by not doing the permit and inspection if your municipality requires it.

I’m in coastal SoCal.