TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Average kW/M or kw/KM mileage?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Chillout, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Chillout

Chillout Member

Hi all,

Since my car is a company car, I need to report my mileage every now and then, just as my ICE colleagues. There's only 1 problem: there's no data to compare my usage with.
    Here's a quick graph of my usage during the last few months:

I'm seeing an average of about 200Wh/km at the moment, which would be around 320Wh/Mile.
    useage.png
    This is based on OVMS odometer logs and charge card data.

So I would like to know: What are your average mileages... kWh/km, kWh/Miles.
    Thanks all!

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

EDIT: The below is referring to the Model S, not Roadster. Tried unsuccessfully to delete post.

There's no easy way to do this properly. The Tesla displays only show how much energy comes out of the battery when the car is running, not how much energy you put in to the car.

The car has charging efficiency losses meaning that not all of the input power makes it to the battery and gets converted back from chemical energy to electrical energy when you use it. An analogy would be like spilling gasoline when you fill your car (you still pay for the spilled gas).

The car also has standby losses that are not accounted for in the car's displays. These are sometimes referred to as "vampire" losses, and a gas car analogy would be like having a small leak in your gas tank.

What I do, and it's a lot of work, is meter all of the electricity I put in to the car at home with a separate sub-meter on my EV circuit and I also carefully record how much power I put in to the car at public stations.

I typically calculate around 30 to 40% greater consumption (Wh/mi) than the car's energy meter reports for the same period. I do this monthly. It will vary depending on your driving habits (how often the car is charged, how long it is parked, whether you have Energy Savings On or Off etc.)

3. Chillout

Chillout Member

No matter if it's for a Model S... it's useful information, thank you.

4. m0rph

m0rph Member

170 Wh/km average.. 90% highway @ 120-130 km/h ands lots of traffic jams that oddly bring that average down.. No traffic jams would be more like 185 Wh/km

5. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

If you pull the logs, you should be able to get all the charging and driving information, at least for the last little while. Seems like it'd be easy to compute based on that information, although the energy used to charge might not match the energy used to drive due to some energy loss in the charging process.

6. Chillout

Chillout Member

Yes, I know that I can pull the logs. I did that actually. But I want to know how other people's cars perform, so my boss has something to compare me with ;)

7. Curt

Curt Roadster Signature #55

My long-term average is 248Wh/mi, if that helps.

8. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

How about this 30 mile average?

IMG_1015.jpg

9. Habious

Habious Member

Wow.

That is a really ugly cell phone case. :tongue:

10. Berty1970

Berty1970 Member

Hi,

How do you extract the logs? This is something I really want to get as info for my soon to be delivered 70D.

Thanks.

Bertrand

11. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

Well, the first step would be to buy a Roadster. I don't think you can extract the logs from a Model S.

12. Tesla 940

Tesla 940 Member

I don't have records regarding life-time energy use but I can ready get 1 Actual Mile for every 1 Ideal Mile (233 wh) on a round trip (no net elevation change). This is done at 60 - 65 mph and with the top off and windows down. At the track, my usage has been in excess of 500wh/m :biggrin: