TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Average Monthly Electric Bill for PGE owners?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by jasdelta, Aug 7, 2018.

1. jasdelta

jasdelta Member

Hi Folks,

I live in a PGE service area and am at Tier 2 rates currently which I think is 22 cents pkwh.
    Can someone give me an estimate on how much my bill would increase each month based on driving
    1000 miles per month?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

You can do the math....let's assume you will be charging at home. At 22 cents/kW, you will pay about $2.00 or so for every 30 miles (as an example, using a 240V 50A NEMA 14-50R which delivers 40A or about 10kW in an hour and adds 30 miles of driving). So if you do 100% of your charging at home at 22 cents/kW, figure about $66 per month or thereabouts. Note that you might want to start looking at solar for your home (if possible) as well as PGEs EV rates (which are set by Time of Use and are good at night (about 11 cents/kW overnight) but are brutal during the day. Can you charge away from home (work, shopping)? Do you plan to use Superchargers (did you get unlimited supercharging)? Time to do some homework......

3. Haxster

Haxster Member

At 1,000 miles/month, as JPP mentioned, you may want to consider a different plan. On a basic E-1 plan, you could be kicked up to Tier 3 (> $0.40/kW).
    www.pge.com/en_US/residential/rate-plans/rate-plan-options/tiered-base-plan/tiered-base-plan.page
    If so, even if you have to pay for SuperCharging, it would be cheaper than Tier 3 rates.

Some simple math: 1,000 miles at a light foot, low traffic, under 70 mph, no loud rap music, 250 Wh/mile would yield 250 kWh on top of your normal household usage.

4. jasdelta

jasdelta Member

Many thanks for the helpful replies.

5. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

The simple, detailed calculation is
    Number of wh per mile * miles = total energy in watts hours
    Total energy in watts hours / 1000 = Total energy in kWH
    $0.22 / kWh * Total Energy = cost

or 0.22 /kWh * 1000 miles / 1000 w/kWh * 250 w/hr (from the car) = $55

You would need to make sure that this doesn't put you in a different pricing tier and the price may change between summer and winter.

For comparison, a ICE, at 20 mpg and gas at $3 would cost $150

6. jasdelta

jasdelta Member

Thanks very much. I called PGE today and they tell me I can sign up for EV-A plan at a rate of 11cents per kw daily from 11pm to 7am which sounded pretty good. That would be combined rate with my home so not sure whether it would up my tier or not. I will check with them again tomorrow.

7. CameronB

CameronB Member

My situation has been a bit different...basically I pay (give or take a little) the same each month as I did before I bought an EV, thanks to TOU/EV-A and average bill is only about $8 higher than before EV.

Here are 6 month actuals

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 5.44.58 PM.png

So even though average usage (kWh) has went up significantly (from about 600kWh pre-EV to about 1100kWh post-EV), the electric bill has remained almost the same. When we switched to EV-A, we also shifted a little of our other usage to post 11pm. Like dishwashing or washing towels. Just set them for a delay timer and they kick off at 11pm or midnight. Of course the Tesla takes its power during the night as well.

Everyone's situation may be different, but for us, it has hardly effected our electricity bill net-net.

8. jasdelta

jasdelta Member

Thanks very much. Interesting, just looked at our dishwasher and it has a delay two four or eight hours button on it. Will have to try it this evening And see how it works.

9. Reid

Reid Member

Huh. We're on E6 in the Bay Area and our solar installers highly recommended staying on E6 as long as possible. It looks like maybe the non-tiered EV-A would have been better if we had bought the electric car but NOT gone solar.. but I'm guessing the tiered rate is advantageous to us since we'll definitely not be in Tier2, ever, now that the solar is active (we only barely went into it before, and we just bought the car a couple of weeks ago).

10. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

Here in Arizona (APS) we were on a time of use plan, but with solar and net metering we ended up with two pools of power credits, one for daytime and one for nights and weekends. This was a real hassle when trying to use EV charging power from the correct pool as it's not always obvious which one we should try to draw from. So we switched to a flat-rate tiered plan. Without solar the tiered plan would be a horrible idea, but for us it has worked out great! Only one power company pool to deposit and draw from and we never get out of tier 1. Our yearly power bills will total about $200 this year. :)