Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average PTO wait time from PG&E for a new solar install (also venting at poor experience)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I've been waiting for almost 4 months after my 7kW solar system with 2 powerwalls were installed and was wondering what the average PTO wait time was from PG&E. The Telsa Rep told me within 4-5 weeks since submitting the request.
Is there anyone I can contact to find out the status of the PTO from PG&E?

After 2 failed city inspections and lots of back and forth with Tesla to make sure it passed, the system finally passed inspections about 8 weeks ago. After that I had to call/email Tesla several times to get any updates on submitting the PTO but it took another 5 weeks before they submitted the PTO to PG&E (apparently the guy handling the paperwork was on vacation or in training, depending on who I talked to). So my experience has been very poor and it seems I have to call Tesla to get any updates or news.

I thought I'd read somewhere that PG&E promises a maximum of 30 days for their review. My system took 4 weeks from job completion (3/19) until passed inspection with San Jose, as each appointment took 2 weeks to schedule and the first inspection failed for a really minor issue that couldn't be fixed while the inspector was on-site (posted about it here). So my final inspection passed 4/10, and I received PTO on 4/26, with Tesla claiming to have submitted to PG&E within 2-3 days of the final inspection passing (so PG&E took about 2 weeks for my job). Several others here said they received an email from PG&E when the paperwork was submitted, I didn't hear anything. I was left wondering if it was sitting with Tesla (having heard others here say that Tesla sat on things for a while), or if PG&E was holding because San Jose's system didn't show my permit as closed since the inspector went on vacation after inspecting my job and didn't submit his paperwork before leaving. So after some research I found a number to call at PG&E (near the top of the page here) and called on the 24th. The person there was very helpful, he confirmed Tesla had submitted the paperwork promptly, that the permit delay wasn't an issue, and that I was very close to receiving my PTO (also confirmed that they had the right email address for me which they did). He seemed to have trouble getting the actual details and had put me on hold a few times while sorting it out, but it doesn't seem like the office is that big so I guess he eventually found the right person to ask. The PTO email came 2 days later (4/26), though it said I'd receive a solar welcome kit packet in the mail and that never arrived. :p

So I'd suggest giving them a call, hopefully they'll be able to tell you what's going on.

In our case it to took 2 month between city inspection and PTO from PG&E. Most of that time was squandered by submissions being lost, request for re-submissions or additional information not being received, relayed, or acted upon. Tesla had to "submit" 3 or 4 times till PG&E even started to look properly (different people at PG&E asking for conflicting ways to submit), Tesla dropped the ball a few times by not realizing PG&E was waiting for them to re-submit or provide additional information etc. We had multiple occasions in which only multiple calls to both companies eventually uncovered what was going on and why the process was stuck. We got so frustrated that when we found a reliable person on the Tesla team we insisted on a daily phone call and status report, just to make sure somebody was regularly looking at the file. On PG&E's side you deal with somebody different every time, that makes it more difficult with them. Once PG&E was satisfied with the application and additional information requested it took them between one and two weeks to issue PTO.

Keep calling both companies and don't assume that every person you talk with knows what they are talking about. Good luck.

Call the PG&E Solar Customer Service at 877-743-4112. There is a touch tone menu item for pending interconnections. Choose that one and ask them to make sure that your file is complete for processing the PTO. It is very possible that PG&E kicked it back to the installer and it's not progressing.

• Informative
Reactions: cr0ntab
Also, I popped open the subpanel box labeled "GATEWAY" today and it was totally clear of any breakers or switches. Is this normal?
Correct. The Gateway basically has only 3 things.
1. Gateway computer
2. Neurio power measurement system
3. Automatic Transfer disconnect switch.

Your breakers must be in a separate enclosure. In my installation they installed a new 200A "Generation panel" next to the Gateway. It contains my solar and Powerwall breakers along with a couple small backed up loads that were not in my original sub-panel.

I assume you only opened the door, not removed the panel cover inside? There should definitely be stuff behind the cover, but best not to open it up if you aren't comfortable working inside high-voltage electrical panels. Here's a picture of my Gateway with the cover on the ground. The Neurio is the small box at the top-left, the rest of the Gateway electronics is below the Neurio, and the Transfer Switch takes up the right ~2/3 of the box.

IMG_5392.jpg

HI
I assume you only opened the door, not removed the panel cover inside? There should definitely be stuff behind the cover, but best not to open it up if you aren't comfortable working inside high-voltage electrical panels. Here's a picture of my Gateway with the cover on the ground. The Neurio is the small box at the top-left, the rest of the Gateway electronics is below the Neurio, and the Transfer Switch takes up the right ~2/3 of the box.

View attachment 429729

Thanks for the tips, I didn't know there was a cover after opening the door.

I just got my PTO today :). I turned on my system about an hour ago and it's already generated some power. Thanks for your help guys. There wasn't much documentation on turning on the Powerwalls that was provided so I followed their instructions to turned on the breakers (PV + PW) -> turned on the inverter -> turned on each power wall.

Hopefully there wasn't any issues. It looks like the panels are just providing power and sending to the grid. The PWs aren't charging at all, hopefully it'll charge tomorrow.

Hopefully there wasn't any issues. It looks like the panels are just providing power and sending to the grid. The PWs aren't charging at all, hopefully it'll charge tomorrow.

I think I'm in the same boat as you. My 3 PWalls just got turned on 2 days ago, but they're not being charged by our existing solar system. The PV generated power is being sent to the grid, per the PW app. So how did you get your PWs to charge also?

Thanks for the responses. Yea, I tried to get help in the TESLA energy forums but there's very little activity there or help. I will call PG&E Solar Monday morning. I had emailed [email protected] but there was no response for a week.

Yeah, you have to call both Tesla, and the Utilities (neither seem very good via online/forums) to get a human on the phone every step of the way, and any other parties (city inspectors, etc), daily if required in situations like this to make sure one side or the other is not dropping the ball. Usually somebody is waiting for the other - but they don't bother to call each other and you as the customer are the only one with a real vested interest in your own system start to finish when so many 3rd parties are involved in the overall process.