Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average repair time for body work (Boston)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I've read, it's best to shop around for a Tesla-approved body shop that will give you a time estimate before you leave your car there. A good shop would take a look at your car ask call Tesla for timing on the required parts.

I had a very minor accident and took my Model S to Hollis Auto Body - one of the 2 approved Tesla shops in the Boston area.

They had me in the shop within a week and out the door less than a week later. They of course didn't have to wait on any parts though.

It seems that the limiting factor is the time to get parts rather than body shop availability.

So my Model S was rear ended today and damaged the lift gate, rear bumper and autopilot/park assist sensors in the back. Any ideas on turn around time for parts / repairs. The body shop couldn't give me an estimate.
Which body shop?

Hollis Auto Body (the only approved body shop at the time) gave me a fairly accurate estimate, although mine was just a quarter panel replacement (not much worry for underlying damage). It was long tho, 3 months for parts, 1 month to fix.

So on Feb 10, 2016 my P90D went into John Eagle Collision Center in Dallas Texas and is considered one of the best repair facilities in the region. sadly it is December 11, 2017 and I still don't have my car back though its been said that this week is my week. I've been told its parts acquisition but the 10 month repair has been [painful and they should have totaled the car long ago but instead, USAA chose to fix it and when it started looking like it was going to go over the top i was told that they were 'Sticking' and fixing the car, regardless of cost. currently its at 80,000 for the repair and over 10 months!!! I want to complain to Tesla as the repair place claims its 100% entirely on parts acquisition and had given me 100's of emails showing back and forth with Tesla parts trying to get the correct parts as they are apparently sending the wrong parts all the time but not sure where to begin

fav 1.jpg fav 2.jpg

So on Feb 10, 2016 my P90D went into John Eagle Collision Center in Dallas Texas and is considered one of the best repair facilities in the region. sadly it is December 11, 2017 and I still don't have my car back though its been said that this week is my week. I've been told its parts acquisition but the 10 month repair has been [painful and they should have totaled the car long ago but instead, USAA chose to fix it and when it started looking like it was going to go over the top i was told that they were 'Sticking' and fixing the car, regardless of cost. currently its at 80,000 for the repair and over 10 months!!! I want to complain to Tesla as the repair place claims its 100% entirely on parts acquisition and had given me 100's of emails showing back and forth with Tesla parts trying to get the correct parts as they are apparently sending the wrong parts all the time but not sure where to begin

View attachment 266027 View attachment 266028
Ouch! How fast was the light pole moving? ;)
Feb 10, 2017, perhaps?

This is my nightmare.

What do you do in the meantime, whilst you wait for a 10+ month repair? Are you expected to pay for insurance during this period? I presume USAA hasn't kept you in a rental car all this time, did you have to buy another car to get around in?

Barry: Used Stuttgart Auto Body. Talked to the other Denver area authorized Auto Body shop. Name escapes me. It's a chain and they only do Tesla repairs at one location (Parker??). Rejected using them because they insisted keeping the car starting when they order parts. So they might have it for a month extra when the car was perfectly drivable. They claimed Tesla would only allow them two part orders so they tore the car down to expose all internal damage so they could get all the parts the first time. Stuttgart had no problem with placing a second order after discovering a bent support.

They claimed Tesla would only allow them two part orders so they tore the car down to expose all internal damage so they could get all the parts the first time. Stuttgart had no problem with placing a second order after discovering a bent support.
This makes no sense. My car is at a Tesla-certified shop and they'e ordered batch after batch of parts from Tesla. I think these guys are making stuff up.

Sadly, this is my nightmare. The first shop 'recommended' by Tesla, as well as my insurance company, is now refusing to take more business, based on a lack of access to parts. The next shop has the car, but I'm told that a month is not enough to receive ordered parts for the modest damage. The problem here is with Tesla, and an apparent inability to focus on the needs of existing clients.

Wow, that's surprising they went that route. It's obvious from the picture that your vehicle should have been totaled and a check cut on the spot. Was it a rookie adjuster assigned to your case?