Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average wall charger install call (Midwest)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Folks, Just picked up my MYP recently and while my M3LR has been charging quite happily with the mobile charger for 2+ years, when both the M3LR and MYP chargers are plugged into the outlet it pops the breaker every time. I just bought a wall charger and getting quotes for installation now but getting quotes for 30 feet of cable install and only 50amps for $1600! I know the charger can max at 60amp and was told that would be $2900 not including the charger. Is this the going rate in the midwest for these kinds of installs? Seen alot of the California people complain at $500 install but everything seems to be more expensive in the midwest when it comes to contractors. Any insight is greatly appreciated! (based in western Detroit suburbs for reference)

Is any panel updates needed? Your local city codes can drive that. It seems high but also depends on what is being done. I just did a 200a service upgrade that included moving my service entrance. That was ~3k. It included a 50a plug for wife's car and a 60a line for my Tesla charger plus a new garage sub panel.

It seems high, but not crazy high (for Chicago suburb for instance). Every installation is different, how complex is it to reach the panel, is it going outside and back in garage…
That’s why in my case I said ‘Put a 14-50 outlet here’ meaning no installation of charger, no mention of Tesla or electric car, …
And price of supplies went crazy during pandemic (see homedepot prices).
Maybe ask for a itemized estimate to understand the price.

No panel updates needed as we already have a 2 year old 200amp box with more than enough headroom to support a 60amp circuit. Install would be through 25 feet of unfinished basement then directly up 5 feet into the garage above it so theoretically simple enough. Good call on asking for an itemized breakdown, I’ll try that. I did also specifically avoid mentioning Tesla to try and avoid the Tesla tax but I guess it’s becoming an EV tax now.

In my opinion that is high for that work. Could you do this yourself (does local code permit and do you have the skill)? That is about ~$200 in retail materials. I had this same issue too, i kept getting outrageous quotes of double what it cost me but no one would give me a break down. I parked my Tesla in my neighbors and didn't tell them what the 60a "for use later" or "RV" plug was for. 3k quote instead of 6k quote. I had 4 quotes.

Reactions: starman27
You have about $400-600 of wire alone and the price of copper is very unstable right now with housing builds restarting. Wire price is dependant on supply and demand. There have been recent shortages of breakers at electrical supply houses so the bottom line is the contractor will usually bid high if they don't know when the install is to protect from huge fluctuations. This is just a result of a shakeup from Covid.

when both the M3LR and MYP chargers are plugged into the outlet it pops the breaker every time.

Assuming you are plugging into standard wall outlets (NEMA 5-15), this should be very obvious, since each car will draw 12 amps on a single 15 amp circuit. In a pinch, you could just reduce the charging amperage on each car to 6 or 7 amps, although charging will be pretty darn slow!

Those quotes seem pretty high. You could forget the wall charger and just ask for a quote to run another dedicated 120v circuit to the garage. Should be substantially cheaper. You could also compromise on something like a dedicated NEMA 6-20 receptacle; you would just need the appropriate adapter from Tesla for your mobile connector(s).

Last edited:
You have about $400-600 of wire alone and the price of copper is very unstable right now with housing builds restarting. Wire price is dependant on supply and demand. There have been recent shortages of breakers at electrical supply houses so the bottom line is the contractor will usually bid high if they don't know when the install is to protect from huge fluctuations. This is just a result of a shakeup from Covid.
It's less than $200 in copper where I'm at (MN).

I am looking for electrician to do the install in MN. My garage is far from my electric panel in the basement. I can't imagine how much it will cost to do the install. I may have to shop around. Those $3K+ quotes scares me!
Why don't you get a quote from Angi - Home for everything home., used to be known as Angies List and Homeadvisor.com. I am sure they can find an electrician near you (they usually come up with three)

Reactions: cloudyjai
I had a wide range of quotes from getting a NEMA 14-50 installed to having a complete second off peak meter with the Tesla wall connector. They ranged from $500-$3500. My plan was to use the NEMA 14-50 but a local electrician talked me out of it due to breaker tripping and local electrical code requirements. I ended up signing up with Xcel Energy EV Accelerate at Home to get off peak rates. That cost about $1100 to run wire, and install the EVSE. The only downside I've found is that I have to use a J1772 adapter.

I am awaiting 2 more estimates, but the first one I received for the wall connector installation is $1734. That is for installation of a 240V 60amp circuit and wiring from the panel in my basement, out to the garage, up into the garage attic, and back down to the side of my vehicle using copper.

I had a wide range of quotes from getting a NEMA 14-50 installed to having a complete second off peak meter with the Tesla wall connector. They ranged from $500-$3500. My plan was to use the NEMA 14-50 but a local electrician talked me out of it due to breaker tripping and local electrical code requirements. I ended up signing up with Xcel Energy EV Accelerate at Home to get off peak rates. That cost about $1100 to run wire, and install the EVSE. The only downside I've found is that I have to use a J1772 adapter.
Do you know the estimate cost of the installation before you signed up? So $1100 is for the wire and the installation, and the charger is additional? I see the upfront payment for the charger is $770, and the monthly payment is $6.68. I assume that payment payment is for as long as you use the charger? Using the J1772 adapter, we don't need to use the cable that comes with Tesla, correct?

Do the $1100 wire and installation and the upfront payment for the charger qualify for tax incentive?

Do you know the estimate cost of the installation before you signed up? So $1100 is for the wire and the installation, and the charger is additional? I see the upfront payment for the charger is $770, and the monthly payment is $6.68. I assume that payment payment is for as long as you use the charger? Using the J1772 adapter, we don't need to use the cable that comes with Tesla, correct?

Do the $1100 wire and installation and the upfront payment for the charger qualify for tax incentive?
A local electrician said it would be about $500 to install a NEMA 14-50 (everything included).

With the Xcel program you can either buy the EVSE upfront or lease one for $16.48 per month. There is a table on their website that has all of the details between the two options. $1100 was to run wire from the basement into the garage and install and connect the EVSE. I had a 60amp breaker installed so I get the full charge rate on the Model 3.

I leave the mobile connector (what Tesla gives you with the car) in my vehicle at all times. I bought an extra J1772 adapter to have one at home and I leave one in the car for emergencies.

Yes, $1100 does qualify for the federal tax incentive as it is for home EV charging.