Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average Wh/mi since owning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is an ex demo SR+ from 2019.
I’ve covered around 750 miles since owning it this summer. Currently around 208 wh/mi Since owning from mixed driving and sometimes with AC on.
I’ve seen urban trips as low as 189 wh/mi so about 5.3miles per kWh.

LR-RWD with 19" Wheels - 252Wh/Mi @ 20k miles.

Curious how many "LR" vehicles in this thread are RWD vs AWD.
LR AWD. Lifetime states (since 11/2018). All daily drives in western WA state.
upload_2020-9-2_14-7-4.png

Mine is an ex demo SR+ from 2019.
I’ve covered around 750 miles since owning it this summer. Currently around 208 wh/mi Since owning from mixed driving and sometimes with AC on.
I’ve seen urban trips as low as 189 wh/mi so about 5.3miles per kWh.
Speed is such an energy burner in EV's that unlike ICE short journeys around town, at least in summer, are actually the most energy efficient in my experience. Good luck maintaining that on a Motorway or even an A road trip. And if you can I hope I am not stuck behind you :)

M3LR, 11,026 miles and 317 Wh/mi. Collected the car in December.
Was a bit worried until I saw the graph somebody made started at 200 Wh/Mi.
In my defence, don't do much city driving or get stuck in traffic much.
Maybe I should put the aero covers back on?
Did use pre-heating in the car some (unplugged) before I got my charger installed in February.

Last edited:
M3LR, 29,000 miles, 249 average wh/mi.

I'm in San Diego so there's tons of hot days and I do have it set to keep the interior cooled automatically with the A/C when sitting at work all day. Don't see many cold days though, but there is the occasional sweater-weather days below 70 degrees requiring the heater...

Real Wh/mi and Charge Efficiency

My car reports a lifetime 282 Wh/mi over 14,900 miles. (I've never reset one of the trip counters).

A while back I began to wonder how realistic the car's energy figure was and installed a meter on my chargepoint circuit at the consumer unit. I reset the second trip counter in the car. Since installing the meter last September I have done 4,420 miles and the car tells me I have used 1,290 kWh averaging 292 Wh/mi.

However, my meter has logged 1439.3 kWh over the same period. Teslafi tells me I have added a further 190.8 kWh at Superchargers and other destinations totalling 1630.1 kWh for a real 368.8 Wh/mi. I don't do much pre-conditioning or sentry use. I supect most of the difference is down to charging inefficiency.

At 368.8 Wh/mi, my 'real' Wh/mi is around 26% more than the car reports. I wonder how typical this is? Of courrse my achieved Wh/mi is also much higher than the WLTP figure used in calculating the advertised range - but we all knew that already!

For what it is worth Teslafi reports that I have used 1,549 kWh over the same period and added 1,439 kWh. TeslaFi must calculate power usage from the current and voltage reports from the car which will not include power losses between my meter and the car and may not include some of the losses within the car. However, I might have expected the TeslaFi 1,439 added kWh to be closer to the car's reported 1,290 kWh. It is a pure coincidence that my home meter's 1,439 kWh matches the total power added according to TeslaFi!

Has anyone else done any similar comparisons?

Note that with an ICE, the fuel logged by the fuel supply pump is definitely very close to the fuel added and the fuel used if no leaks!

Real Wh/mi and Charge Efficiency

My car reports a lifetime 282 Wh/mi over 14,900 miles. (I've never reset one of the trip counters).

A while back I began to wonder how realistic the car's energy figure was and installed a meter on my chargepoint circuit at the consumer unit. I reset the second trip counter in the car. Since installing the meter last September I have done 4,420 miles and the car tells me I have used 1,290 kWh averaging 292 Wh/mi.

However, my meter has logged 1439.3 kWh over the same period. Teslafi tells me I have added a further 190.8 kWh at Superchargers and other destinations totalling 1630.1 kWh for a real 368.8 Wh/mi. I don't do much pre-conditioning or sentry use. I supect most of the difference is down to charging inefficiency.

At 368.8 Wh/mi, my 'real' Wh/mi is around 26% more than the car reports. I wonder how typical this is? Of courrse my achieved Wh/mi is also much higher than the WLTP figure used in calculating the advertised range - but we all knew that already!

For what it is worth Teslafi reports that I have used 1,549 kWh over the same period and added 1,439 kWh. TeslaFi must calculate power usage from the current and voltage reports from the car which will not include power losses between my meter and the car and may not include some of the losses within the car. However, I might have expected the TeslaFi 1,439 added kWh to be closer to the car's reported 1,290 kWh. It is a pure coincidence that my home meter's 1,439 kWh matches the total power added according to TeslaFi!

Has anyone else done any similar comparisons?

Note that with an ICE, the fuel logged by the fuel supply pump is definitely very close to the fuel added and the fuel used if no leaks!
The watts per mile we all talk about is good for one thing only and that is working out your approximate range.
I had the data to do the same comparison after 4-5 months of ownership though a winter and my excess usage was over 30% so yes your 26% figures is pretty good. Charging losses on a 7kw charger will be at least 10% nearer 15% if you are using a 13amp socket. DC charging varies based on the supplier.
I am pretty sure the car only starts to record usage against miles when you put it in drive so every second of preheating, sentry, phantom drain etc will add to this and it does add up. It doesn't get talked about much because most of us are saving a lot compared to fuelling an ICE car. I am paying 5p/kw for most of my electricity so I can afford not to care that much but anyone buying an EV and planning to charge at public chargers should be adding at least 1/3 to their assumptions about what they will be paying for fuel in my opinion.

The watts per mile we all talk about is good for one thing only and that is working out your approximate range.
I had the data to do the same comparison after 4-5 months of ownership though a winter and my excess usage was over 30% so yes your 26% figures is pretty good. Charging losses on a 7kw charger will be at least 10% nearer 15% if you are using a 13amp socket. DC charging varies based on the supplier.
I am pretty sure the car only starts to record usage against miles when you put it in drive so every second of preheating, sentry, phantom drain etc will add to this and it does add up. It doesn't get talked about much because most of us are saving a lot compared to fuelling an ICE car. I am paying 5p/kw for most of my electricity so I can afford not to care that much but anyone buying an EV and planning to charge at public chargers should be adding at least 1/3 to their assumptions about what they will be paying for fuel in my opinion.

Interesting that you had a similar experience over a winter period. I think that you are right that the car's 'meter' only operates when in Drive. I also do some of my charging at very low power using solar - sometimes switching on and off at 1.4 kW. Very little of this since September so not very relevant to my monitoring period, but my perception is that solar charging at low power is very inefficent. But since it is 'free', I'm not worried! I too do nearly all my charging on Octopus Go at 5p/kWh so it's still only about 2p / mile.

I think TeslaFi is pretty accurate in calculating Kwh used to recharge the battery as it takes a many samples of volts/amps when charging. It doesn't however record energy used to precondition the car. So it will underestimate slightly the total energy consumed by the car when compared to a separate electricity meter. I would think that 20-25% losses are normal for charginging, etc.

Can @NewbieT or anyone else be bothered to re-graph this? It's a really useful bit of living, real-world data

Not sure what graph you are looking for Obliter8 but this one from TeslaFi shows how my car's efficiency changes with temperature from less than 69% at sub zero temperatures to better than 94% when the temperature is in the 20-25C range. As discussed above, TeslaFi over-estimates the car's real efficiency, and this graph is only for drives of over 10 miles. Short journeys are much less efficient. Temperature has a big effect on range.As can be seen from the green bars, relatively little of my driving has been at the most efficient temperatures - and yes, it really did get up to nearly 40C at one point last summer!
upload_2021-1-3_17-28-24.png