Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Avoid Blackvue Dashcams!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pruitt

Pontificating the obvious
Jun 27, 2014
Casper WY
When I got my new S in 2016 I installed a Blackvue dashcam. It has been an unreliable piece of junk.

First they came out with a firmware upgrade, which apparently fried the parts of the memory that stores settings and holds the audio response messages, because the audio messages stopped as soon as I installed the update. Blackvue technical support had me jump through some hoops (for about 10 hours) to try to restore the camera's default settings and make it work again, to no avail. They had me buy one of their overpriced cards because others are "not reliable" and they would not provide any support until I did so.

Of course that made no difference, and then they told me, in essence, "too bad." Nothing more we can do.

It was still recording, however, so I kept using it.

Some time in the last month or so it quit working completely, except for the LED pilot light that supposedly shows you that it is on and functioning. LED is on, but the camera does not record at all.

From a small amount of research, it does appear the Blackvue line of dashcams tend to fail after a relatively short service time. Mine actually lasted longer than many.

I will be replacing it with a competitor's product.

Save yourself some aggravation and buy something other than Blackvue.

We had a 650S-2ch when we bought our MS back in 3/2017. While the software in part was not the greatest and my husband didn't know why they made it necessary that you had to reformat your card periodically, the dashcam worked fine for the most part and kept recording until we updated cameras. Bought another Blackvue. We did use Blackvue's cards BTW. Have the 32GB it came with and because we wanted the record during parking mode (basically had it running 24/7) we purchased their 128GB card as well. We had some occasional issues but they got resolved and we were never without it for long.

We subsequently purchased the 900S-2ch when it came out, we're still using the same cards BTW, saw they made improvements on many fronts including software and hardware; and have been using this dashcam since April of 2018. Bought it with a 128GB card so now have two for longer recording times. At first we had an issue with the camera overheating, and my husband had a friend create a heat sink for it and it ran fine all throughout the summer and beyond. We haven't seen people on here report having a heat issue with theirs so think the units either had a change early on or maybe our unit was just more sensitive. Anyway has been very reliable. In fact just last month it captured in nice video quality the hit-and-run driver who damaged my husband's MS's rear panel and bumper. Some kind person stopped them from getting fully away before telling them they saw what happened and have photos of their vehicle and license plate and encouraged them to pull back into the lot while finding my husband to inform him what they had done. It was great having the 2-channel video for our insurance company and had no problem getting the driver's insurance company to admit fault. Also nice to let them know their insured was a hit-and-run driver.

We love the smaller form factor of the Blackvue and the quality of their cameras and night vision has gotten much better. We would have added one to my Model 3 except Tesla took away that nice power source for hardwiring it for 24/7 power that the Model S has available still right now. Some people using the Model 3's battery, however that eventually compromised the battery's life, so we didn't buy one for my car. The TeslaCam doesn't really replace a 2-channel dashcam and I do regret that aspect of it.

While the Blackvues we've had haven't been perfect, we have had a good experience with both models we had and would still recommend their products.

Have had mine for 5 years. When there's a problem, pull the power and reformat the memory card. So far, always works. It's an issue if you don't check frequently to see if it needs a reformat and reboot

I have 2 Blackvues here. It is a little picky with memory cards, but that is not Blackvue's problem. There are just too many sh*tty cards out there that do not work as they should. I'm using tons of memory cars for my job. So many bad ones. Even cards from well known brand are sometimes counterfeit cheap ones.
I have had many different brand dash cams and to be honest, none of them has been 100% reliable. For some reason they all end up having minor or major issues. The 2 Blackvues we have have been on the better side, though. I would buy them again.

I had a Blackvue dual 550 on my 2013 S85--still going strong with the new owner. I have a Blackvue dual 650 in my wife's 2015 S70D--still going strong. I have a new Blackvue dual 900 in my 2018 P3D+ and got the biggest SD card Blackvue offered...all good. You do need to use the best rated SD cards in the cameras, and FWIW I tend to do an in-camera reformat every week or 2. never had a heat issue or power failure issue. Yes, electronic stuff can die.....

Reactions: David99
We have two Model S cars with dual channel 650's, one cam is 3 years old, the other one 2 years old and it lived through a crash which totaled the Model S. No problems so far. The only issue I ever had was using a cheap 64GB Sandisk SD card at the very beginning 3 years ago, which resulted in corrupted movies a week later. Once I moved to using V30 rated SD (also from Sandisk, but from their Extreme line rated for sustained video recording and for higher heat) they've been solid. I check occasionally to make sure they are still recording and videos are not corrupt.

Last edited:
So I got a blackvue (900 2channel ) dashcam installed recently (Nov). So far so good for me. I actually like the phone software and the ability to download videos onto your phone w/sound. If you are in LA or SF are highly recommend caliber custom. FYI I have no relations to the company...just thought they did a good job. I'll update this review if the dash cam ever fails, but so far I'm happy!

Got the 900-2ch for my X and it’s pretty junk. It overheated in parking mode for the most part during the summer. Now it’s winter things are getting better.

Yesterday tried out the 2-way communication over cloud since my wife forgot to bring her phone while out. It was a junk feature and didn’t work well at all. It was more like a 1-way commication, if it worked.