Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Avoid highways" mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was discussing the TM3 with someone who is interested in buying one. He asked me about an "avoid highways" mode - as he often likes to take back roads instead of Interstates. I was pretty sure one just clicked a menu option. But the Tesla nav only supports "Avoid Ferries" and "Avoid Tolls". So egg on my face...

Is there a decent way around this short of running a parallel nav app in ones cell phone or other device? Maybe running something on the built-in web browser?

I agree. Add the option. I live in Rhode Island where everything is close. Hopping on the highway isnt always the best route for us in this state as I95 from NYC to Boston is the busiest stretch of highway in the country for daily commutes. Its safer and more efficient to take local routes for us at times.

Most Nav systems have Fastest, Shortest, and Most Economical routing options. Does Tesla Nav have the same?

Sadly, no. It is basically "Fastest path with Supercharger coverage". It does recalculate things on the fly if you veer off course. On longer drives, I typically run waze on my phone. Always interesting to compare the two.

As a followup to my original post, he did end up buying a Model 3 (LR AWD) and is very happy with it!

Sadly, no. It is basically "Fastest path with Supercharger coverage". It does recalculate things on the fly if you veer off course. On longer drives, I typically run waze on my phone. Always interesting to compare the two.

As a followup to my original post, he did end up buying a Model 3 (LR AWD) and is very happy with it!
And because Tesla does not support CarPlay, I can't display Apple Maps or Waze on the Tesla's LCD, right?

And because Tesla does not support CarPlay, I can't display Apple Maps or Waze on the Tesla's LCD, right?

You can bring teslawaze (Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information) up on the browser. It is somewhat functional, but not as well integrated as the built-in nav.

For Apple maps, you need to use your phone app. With the phone mounted in the dock, it is fairly easy to glance down at it. Phone integrates with the car via bluetooth. So you can get turn-by-turn audio from the phone as well as the built-in nav. Again, not as integrated or as pretty as the built-in nav.

I've used CarPlay in our Volt and other GM cars. I don't miss not having it in the Tesla.

>"Avoid highways" mode
+1 from me.
For the first time in the history of automobility the option for "the shortest route" would actually make sense with EVs.

Avoiding Autobahn/Highways being a big part of it.

Especially in Germany navigation systems tend to love the Autobahn, because simple metrics tell them "avg speed unlimited" - which makes up for a ton of extra miles/kilometres.
So they rather send you a route 100km longer for a theoretical gain of 5 minutes travel time.
Tesla onboard navigation being no exception.

• Informative
Reactions: Sporty and Puma2020
Before our "friend" COVID-19 became well known, I plotted out a route from home on the east coast to (I'm leaving out the names of most national parks that were on the route)Seattle, then San Francisco, then Grand Canyon, Albuquerque, Dallas and back to NJ. What I found was the vast majority of the superchargers are on an Interstate or in a service area next to an Interstate highway. It does skew trip planning toward Interstate highways, but you don't have to. You can use slow destination chargers--with the proper adapter.

Tesla really needs to add:
  • Avoid Highways (at a minimum)
Ideally also:
  • Fastest Route
  • Shortest Route
  • Eco Route (factors in downhill regen, etc)
Most Direct (least number of transitions)

In my area as well as I’m sure many others the freeways take me way out of the way and then way back compared the routes available via surface roads. Some of the road routes are just as fast if not fast, having similar speed limits, limited stops, and lower traffic.

Ideally also:
  • Fastest Route
  • Shortest Route

In my area as well as I’m sure many others the freeways take me way out of the way
and then way back compared the routes available via surface roads.
Some of the road routes are just as fast if not fast, having similar speed limits,
limited stops, and lower traffic.
If 'waypoints' were available, you will have most of those requests available by making changes to the default Tesla itinerary.

Typically to go from my home to a downtown city center, I can just draw a 45 degrees straight line on a map.

However, Tesla itinerary recommends to use a freeway doing a big half circle around the city.

I always ignore all the voice itinerary recommendations and pass under the freeway without using the freeway entrance.

Thereafter, Tesla itinerary recommend using some small residential roads instead of using a main artery.

Also if I have to make a left turn, I want to use an intersection with separates lanes and traffic lights,
but Tesla itinerary always select the first possible left turn that I often find unsafe to use.

There is also no easy way to estimate in advance if you will need to use a super charger to reach your final destination
when you need to make some detours instead of using the itinerary selected by Tesla.

Last edited:
Agreed. And I’d probably be okay with that as well.

But would waypoints take into consider route traffic and the like. I would think waypoints would be a little more hard handed compared to say shortest or most direct route and avoid highway. It would also take (slightly) more time to choose and set the waypoints versus flicking on two toggles.

But any or all would be a welcomed improvement.

Didn’t Musk say waypoints would be coming eventually ?

Agreed. And I’d probably be okay with that as well.
But would waypoints take into consider route traffic and the like.
I would think waypoints would be a little more hard handed compared to say shortest or most direct route and avoid highway.
It would also take (slightly) more time to choose and set the waypoints versus flicking on two toggles.
But any or all would be a welcomed improvement.
Didn’t Musk say waypoints would be coming eventually ?
I depend how 'waypoints' are implemented.

If you look a ABRP (A Better Route Planner) it is easy to enter a list of locations,
that you may have already previously entered, reorder the order, and then hit the select itinerary button.

I like also to use the Google map where you can move your finger or your mouse above an itinerary
and Google immediately follow your finger or mouse location and redraws the itinerary.

Last edited:
Ideally also:
  • Fastest Route
  • Shortest Route

In my area as well as I’m sure many others the freeways take me way out of the way and then way back compared the routes available via surface roads. Some of the road routes are just as fast if not fast, having similar speed limits, limited stops, and lower traffic.
Even the cheapest garmin and other competitors have avoid highways or at least Fast/shortest/eco routes. So WHY does the most technical car on the road not have these regular options.?

Reactions: JaeTheDev and Adam3