TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Away for 2 months. Car doesn't top off every night.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by ratsbew, Sep 4, 2018.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

I'm away for 2 months and have my car set to 50% and scheduled to charge at 1:00AM. It seems like the car loses about 2-3 miles per day sitting there, however when 1:00AM comes around the car doesn't seem to top off those 2-3 miles automatically. I have to use the app to adjust the slider up (arbitrarily) and then back down to 50% to initiate charging.

Is this normal behavior? Maybe I should leave it sit for a few days to bleed off 10-15 miles and see if it automatically boosts back up to 50%.

2. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

X & S tops of after 3% drain, so when it hits 46% it goes back to 50%. I should think it is the same with the 3.

• Informative x 1
  3. TT97

TT97 Active Member

The same happened to me (except for not being away 2 months). It would charge every few days - I feel like it had to drop 3% before it would do another charge session.

• Helpful x 1
  4. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

Ahhh, good to hear. I'll let it go for a few days and report back.

5. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

What you’re reporting is normal behavior. No need to let it sit for a few days to see what happens. It’s programmed to not start charging again until it drops 3%, so the charging circuit doesn’t run unnecessarily. If you really need those 2-3 miles, set your charge level higher.