Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD, 200,000th, and Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Been trolling TMC for some time now. Decided to join and this is my first post. I'm a 4/1/16 reservationist in the Bay Area that has been waiting on a RWD. When they dropped the AWD price by $1K and generisized the delivery window last week, I configured as AWD on 6/28 but wonder if that was an error. After all, I'd probably be driving one of the prebuilt stock now. I called Tesla yesterday (first time) and have a few bits to share. The customer service agent told me that an August delivery is not an unreasonable delivery hope. This suggests that my generic Sept.-Nov. window is a placeholder. At any rate, she seemed confident that I would take delivery this quarter. She also confirmed that reservation dates still matter in the queue. In answer to my question, she said that Tesla cannot make any statements about when the 200,000th car was sold because the IRS must certify this info. That should be released sometime in July. Thus, the Federal tax credit phase-out period has not yet been certified.

I'd be grateful for any other thoughts on AWD delivery windows.

Awaiting AWD, Blue, Aeros.

Hi,
Been trolling TMC for some time now. Decided to join and this is my first post. I'm a 4/1/16 reservationist in the Bay Area that has been waiting on a RWD. When they dropped the AWD price by $1K and generisized the delivery window last week, I configured as AWD on 6/28 but wonder if that was an error. After all, I'd probably be driving one of the prebuilt stock now. I called Tesla yesterday (first time) and have a few bits to share. The customer service agent told me that an August delivery is not an unreasonable delivery hope. This suggests that my generic Sept.-Nov. window is a placeholder. At any rate, she seemed confident that I would take delivery this quarter. She also confirmed that reservation dates still matter in the queue. In answer to my question, she said that Tesla cannot make any statements about when the 200,000th car was sold because the IRS must certify this info. That should be released sometime in July. Thus, the Federal tax credit phase-out period has not yet been certified.

I'd be grateful for any other thoughts on AWD delivery windows.

Awaiting AWD, Blue, Aeros.

On the date, the customer service agent is, of course, telling you what you want to hear and what they want to tell you.

Tesla will want to deliver your car as soon as they can build it, and as soon as they've delivered all other more profitable cars. So you should have hope, but don't expect it.

On the date, the customer service agent is, of course, telling you what you want to hear and what they want to tell you.

Tesla will want to deliver your car as soon as they can build it, and as soon as they've delivered all other more profitable cars. So you should have hope, but don't expect it.

I don't disagree...but would be surprised if they were giving me false information. Best-case scenarios seem more likely. What I found interesting is that she was willing to tell me that the Sept.-Nov. window doesn't necessarily reflect reality (hopefully in my favor). Having built a big stock of RWD cars that are now being distributed nationwide, I'm wondering how many of their general-assembly lines will now focus on AWD as opposed to RWD - and how many will be focused on Performance v. non-performance.

Part of me agrees with you, but I hope not. 4/1/16 reservation deposited, ordered AWD fully loaded (minus FSD) on 6/30. I called the Tesla service center asking about current loan rates... when the person looked up my reservation number he said that it looks like I'll be assigned a VIN soon (they are "sourcing parts" for it?). Not sure what that means, but I'm hoping it means for an August delivery. Either way, I'm in no hurry - I would just like to get it before the fall to go for a drive in the mountains with a glass roof... but any time before Dec 31st would be fine. :)

They have built such a stockpile of RWD cars I would think AWD would definitely be done in the next 3-4 months. And I can’t see how P vs non-P is that large a deal. They may even do the two on alternate days, who knows. Since both have twin motors and the difference is (may be the) seat color, etc., the next quarter or so should be a mix of RWD/AWD and the P. Could even be 2 days a week for each and the last day is more RWD? Who knows but I would bet you get your car in several months.

Reactions: Arpe
I'm in the same boat. The uncertainty over planned production schedules, RWD vs AWD delivery dates, and the tax credit phaseout (and, to a lesser extent, unknown AWD vs RWD differences in efficiency/range and front motor noise) are really making me anxious regarding my decision to go with AWD.

In answer to my question, she said that Tesla cannot make any statements about when the 200,000th car was sold because the IRS must certify this info. That should be released sometime in July. Thus, the Federal tax credit phase-out period has not yet been certified.

This aligns with my understanding of the process (Tesla send IRS numbers, IRS sends Tesla concurrence). I assume Tesla was way faster that the required end of the next month deadline in submitting to the IRS, IRS has 30 days to respond.

More importantly, it only matters if Tesla did not hit 200k in Q2. If they blew past 200k, and knew they did, the IRS is not going to tell them they did not. However, if Tesla stayed under 200k, they need the official word from the IRS before presenting the data to the public as a certified statement.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I'm sure they didn't give you false information, at least not deliberately. As many here have reported though the knowledge of the customer service people is seriously lacking at times.

There's also the propensity of the undertrained and inexperienced sales people to make something up based on loose information they may have heard, instead of just saying "I don't know, let me look into that and get back to you".

Reactions: dsvick