TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

AWD, and 295 range, retrofitable?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Evbwcaer, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

Sorry if I missed this anywhere, but any news on retrofits of AWD? Somebody on the telsamotors.com message boards said they heard it it will be available.

I have had my S for only 10 days and I decided not to wait for AWD because I thought it would cost a lot more and probably not be more efficient. For $4,000 I would have sprung for AWD, more range and more power for sure. I am hoping there is a retrofit for close to that price, that would be awesome.

Thanks a lot.....and great to see Tesla relentlessly innovating!

2. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

Seriously doubt it.

3. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

Me too, but we can hope. There would likely be a lot of people who would do it, so there could some decent incentive for Tesla to offer it.

4. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

You'd be better off selling your car and buying a new one. The cost of any retrofit for this would be far more expensive.

5. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

+ 1

6. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

No mention of retrofits last night at the event - I would also seriously doubt it too. It looks the the new frame is different up front to support all the new pieces and parts.

O

7. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Probably the same chances of Audi retrofitting an A3 with Quattro.

Not going to happen.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Agree. Won't happen.

9. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The parts exist, so in theory it's possible. But I'm pretty sure it would cost more than selling your car and buying a new one with AWD would. Probably a lot more. Plus, that way you get autopilot. :)
    Walter

10. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

Anybody have knowledge/thoughts about about the new range.....will it be highway range or city range? City range would not really mean anything to me, but increased highway range would be value added to me. I am assuming the front axle is geared to optimize at a certain speed. Thanks

11. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

I can think of very little of the evolutionary upgrades made to the Model S that have been retrofittable at anything short of a ridiculous price. The only exception I am aware of was the battery armor plate and this was free.

If you have a desire to move to AWD and autopilot, you'll have to buy a new one (or you'll probably spend as much on the upgrade :) ) I would love to be proven wrong on this but I think history shows I am in a safe position.

12. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

Yes I understand that is probably the case. Anybody know what the "used" market is like. My S has about 450 miles on it. If I could break even or get reasonably close, I just might do it. The main hurdle is the sales tax paid.

13. JKerensky

JKerensky Member

It wouldn't have to be a cheap retrofit for it to make some sense. If it was near the cost difference of selling the car and buying a new one, then it would still make some sense. And the resale of even the cars that were delivered two weeks ago (like mine) just dropped like a rock, so it could be a big number and be worth it for some people. And you wouldn't be waiting until February or later for the new car deliveries.

14. USAFsparky

USAFsparky Member

I can confirm it is not a retrofitable option...same with Autopilot, Speed Assist and Lane Departure.

15. Thud

Thud Member

Highly unlikely, since your car has nowhere to put a front motor. And the rear motor would have to be replaced as well with the smaller version.

16. pzz

pzz Banned

I read somewhere (USA Today maybe?) that none of the new features are retrofittable, unfortunately.