Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD and AWD+P price and spec released last night, are those worth waiting for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AWD with LR, no Range increase, 0-60mile/s, increased from 5.1 to 4.5. Price 5000 (or 6500 CAD?).

I don't want to talk about AWD+P here, because with tax the price will be above 110K.

Let's talk about AWD LR. Small motor is added in front, speed increased a little, and you need pay 6500CA$. Elon said that to fulfill all the AWD requirement will take about 6 months. only god knows when AWD+LR will start to ship to Canada. But I think Sept at least. By that time, for ppl in Ontario, the rebates may be gone..That means total damage of 20K to wait for AWD..

To me, it makes no sense, so I will be happy to pick up my RWD LR in two weeks..

Tough call. The only number that seems to be solid is the price. And that one was supposed to be lower!

AWD price: Elon said it would be under $5k USD. Apparently it is $5k :-(
AWD performance: is the 4.5 second 0-60 accurate, or as conservative as the 5.1 seconds for RWD? :-|
AWD range: Can't we have the real number. It can't be the same as RWD. :-|
Still no air suspension that was to be "tied" to AWD. :-(

Especially with the under-sell of claiming no increase in driving range. Honestly, that's one of the reasons that I want AWD, and this idea of pretending that it is not a benefit makes it all that much harder to spend the money.

Yes, the P series and AWD variant are a total rip.
Let's all boycott these editions on principle.

I would, but my house is in the Himalayas, and I need the extra power and traction just to get home from work. But I will be rooting for you!!!

In my opinion, both AWD and AWD P are bringing this car into a price segment in which the Model 3 won’t be competitive from a ride/handling/sportiness perspective alone. Elon seems to think it will handle better than a BMW M3 - I think he’s setting some of us up for disappointment unfortunately.

These upgrades paired with the likelihood of not receiving any form of rebate on the upgraded Model 3 make me feel better about my decision to order a RWD build. If I was less concerned about cost, an AWD P Model 3 would be pretty badass though.

Reactions: pmich80
Especially with the under-sell of claiming no increase in driving range. Honestly, that's one of the reasons that I want AWD, and this idea of pretending that it is not a benefit makes it all that much harder to spend the money.

What makes you think that it absolutely must increase driving range? Just because there were minor increases with the Model S doesn't mean that the same will be true with the Model 3 given that it uses different motors, etc.

Reactions: skitown
What makes you think that it absolutely must increase driving range?
I have no "absolutely." When the two motors can be optimized for a more narrow purpose (low-speed, high-current acceleration from the rear, and high-speed, low-current cruising from the front), it is silly to assume there is no overall increase in efficiency of the drive system.

Tesla has been under-reporting specs forever. All indications point to this "no increase in range for the 3D" is likely to be another.

RWD is rated at 5.1 seconds 0-60. I haven't seen anybody test it, and come out over 5 seconds.
The EPA rated range of the RWD is understated by Tesla, most likely to keep it comfortably below the S's range.
And now the AWD range is likely kept the same for the same reason. I would sure like to know what the efficiency gains are of the AWD system.

It seems to me for a car that is supposed to start at $35k these options should cost a little less.

The $35k base model is likely a loss leader. So there's no surprise to me with the costs of the options. It's the way Tesla hopes to finally start making money. That's likely the reason for the recent P announcement.

When the two motors can be optimized for a more narrow purpose (low-speed, high-current acceleration from the rear, and high-speed, low-current cruising from the front), it is silly to assume there is no overall increase in efficiency of the drive system.

I doubt it's much, especially watching the video comparisons of the S. Plus, I can get so much better efficiency with my RWD S if I just drove with a little bit less of a lead foot than anything dual motors can give me -- but that won't happen unless I need the range to get to my destination, which is rare in a Tesla. I wanted AWD for traction, not efficiency, but passed on it in favour of getting my 3 asap.

I want AWD for:

Acceleration (more traction, more torque).
Traction (not needing chains in CA to head to Tahoe, other slippery conditions).
Increased efficiency (range).

Some of us want more than "traction." If 1/3 of my desires for D is off the table, it makes the value to me about 1/3 less.

I want AWD for:

Acceleration (more traction, more torque).
Traction (not needing chains in CA to head to Tahoe, other slippery conditions).
Increased efficiency (range).

Some of us want more than "traction." If 1/3 of my desires for D is off the table, it makes the value to me about 1/3 less.

That's fine. I understand different people want different things. But I doubt most people place 33.3% on each of those. I think for most people it goes like this:

Acceleration: about 20% (unless it's the P model -- for those people it's probably more like 80%).
Traction/handling: 80%
Increased efficiency: not really a concern.

I've driven my S over high mountain passes in the worst of winter conditions. We don't have a chain requirement here on the mountain passes except for semis. A lot of RWD vehicles drive all over Canada in the winter -- with "snowflake" winter tires. The problem I have with RWD is my cabin driveway, since it means I have to plow, sand and salt a lot more or use chains. In my Tahoe hybrid the rear wheels spin on snow/ice until I spin the dial to AWD then it just goes. That's the beauty of AWD in my view.

But life's short and I only have so many summers left, and I'm really looking forward to this summer with my RWD 3 that is suppose to arrive in a few weeks!

Reactions: 03DSG
I find that most people seem to think that most people think like they do. :) . And I try to steer clear of that. I only claim to know what I want. And I easily admit that I'm not a typical car consumer.

The irony here is that you will end up with your RWD car before I could get my RWD here (CA line-stander). They've pretty much turned off our spigot until Q3 (due to fed credit optimization). And at that point, I should be head of the line for AWD, so....

I think Elon is absolutely underselling the increased range with the AWD just to ensure it doesn't further affect S sales. I have to say I cant believe these outrageous prices Tesla is charging though. $5000 US for AWD? ya no thanks. (no shock though considering S and X were the same)

3256BEF2-A622-4374-8179-CFC8756BBD1F.jpeg Okay , some of US line waiter guys got AWD config opened . But guess what , delivery time more than 3 months.

Last edited:
What do you get for the $78,000 starting price for performance?

-Long range battery
-Awd
-?

If you figure it's $35k for base, and I would only buy a 3 with AWD, big battery, premium upgrades package and some nice wheels, I'm likely sitting at about $58,000 ($5k, $9k, $5k?, $3k respectively)

If those things are all included, performance is still $20,000 more than that configuration...what do get for that other than performance motor, some power transfer tech and red paint on your calipers?