Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD and Log Jam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok.... Question....

As I am sure that there are a number of invites out in deferment awaiting AWD, how will that effect things when that option becomes available?

With 1000's of customers that have config invites, when the option opens.... won't very one jump and config at the same time?

I was wondering how that may be handled....

Historically, configuring puts you into a list and then they schedule production in sequence on that list. Just because hundred of folks configure in a five minute period doesn't mean Tesla has to give all of them cars at the same time. As long as their server doesn't blow up, I don't think it'll cause any problems.

Ok.... Question....

As I am sure that there are a number of invites out in deferment awaiting AWD, how will that effect things when that option becomes available?

With 1000's of customers that have config invites, when the option opens.... won't very one jump and config at the same time?

I was wondering how that may be handled....

The same way as always: loaded Californian, loaded non-Californian, non-loaded Californian, non-loaded non-Californian.

When demand outstrips supply, there's a wait.

They could then just hold off on new invites.

• Funny
Reactions: dss33
Your place in line never changes. So if you were the 1st person sent a Model 3 configure invite, but you deferred for AWD, you will be the 1st person to receive AWD (all other things being equal).

The 100th person offered to configure deferred for AWD also...assuming all other people took RWD, this person will be the 2nd person to receive AWD. If not, they will wait, and worst case be the 100th. (again, not including any other option combos).

Employee, then Owners West to East, then Non-Owners West to East, then International (although, Canada may jump the line to save the Fed Credit for more US Non-owners as production hell ends).

Your place in line never changes. So if you were the 1st person sent a Model 3 configure invite, but you deferred for AWD, you will be the 1st person to receive AWD (all other things being equal).

The 100th person offered to configure deferred for AWD also...assuming all other people took RWD, this person will be the 2nd person to receive AWD. If not, they will wait, and worst case be the 100th. (again, not including any other option combos).

Employee, then Owners West to East, then Non-Owners West to East, then International (although, Canada may jump the line to save the Fed Credit for more US Non-owners as production hell ends).

Are you sure? With past rollouts, it didn't matter where in the invite line, as long as you'd gotten your invite - it mattered when you configured.

Are you sure? With past rollouts, it didn't matter where in the invite line, as long as you'd gotten your invite - it mattered when you configured.
Maybe I am reading too much into the "Hold my place" option...

Teslarati.com:
tesla-model-3-configurator-get-started-screen.jpg

I don't know for a fact how they'll handle the 3 rollout - but I know when the Xs came out, folks that were waiting for late availability options were given cars in order based on the date they configured, regardless of when they were invited to configure.
In this case Tesla isn't offering folks the ability to choose options not yet in production like they did for the X. I wonder if that is a mistake on their part.

Maybe I am reading too much into the "Hold my place" option...

I don't know for a fact how they'll handle the 3 rollout - but I know when the Xs came out, folks that were waiting for late availability options were given cars in order based on the date they configured, regardless of when they were invited to configure.
I agree, they would almost have to do it that way. If two people can configure whenever they want to but one was invited a month earlier they aren't going to wait for him to configure once an option opens up just so they can be in front of people invited after they were.

Any speculation as to whether “holding your spot” helps or hurts as opposed to not responding?
There is no difference, you can still come back and configure whenever you like. However, telling Tesla what you're waiting for gives them a better idea of how to manage and schedule production.

Reactions: Falkirk