Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I received that promised call back in short order. From Las Vegas area. It was an unsatisfying "customer service" experiences (except for the fact that the promised call came quickly).

I am not at all convinced that the "corporate sales" guy who called me back to clear things up had any more knowledge than I did. In fact, it is pretty clear that he had much less.

1. After the initial CS person made clear to me that something was amiss with my order, this guy said that my order was fine and perfectly on track, and that it always takes at 6-8 weeks from order to having VIN assigned. (For those who are keeping score at home, I'm at seven weeks and two days, so right there in the pocket of "don't worry about it"). Yet... how does this account for the many owners who have already taken delivery of their identically-configured cars... and who ordered after I did?).

2. He went on and on with his demonstration of inside knowledge (telling me that the cars are painted in batches, and even the wheel type is batched, that delivery location plays into it etc... all stuff I'm aware of). He spent zero time answering any of my (few and concise, and pleasantly asked) questions. Did I mention that he went on and on with info that I wasn't asking for? He did. And on. Seemed to have nothing else to do with his time, and also made it seem that I was calling to hear about how Tesla batches the cars.

3. After standing in line to reserve, then configuring and confirming my cash purchase of AWD as soon as possible (and I might add without Tesla every notifying me that AWD was available for me to order) my main question was: How is it that cars configured to my exact specification have already been delivered to people who live in my town... and to many others who live on the other side of the country? In many cases, they reserved AND ordered after I did. These folks weren't just assigned a VIN (though now it seems that many, many more have also been assigned a VIN who have ordered after me), these cars have been actually delivered. In response, he repeated item #2 above. And here's the whopper: He went on to say that probably some of those new owners had ordered the "basic configuration" of the car, and that those "basic configurations" were shipping before the ones with all the options.

At that point it was clearly just a waste of my time to explain that the only more basic configuration that is currently available for my car would be black paint instead of blue, and no EAP. Unless he meant RWD? Nah... he actually mentioned interior choice and battery size. He kept talking about all the "options" and I was half expecting him to say that the automatic transmission took longer to make than the manual trans. Of course we're talking about AWD cars with the SAME configuration as mine. And AWD is a different order than RWD. So I held my tongue. He went on to impress upon me that my car is being built just for me, to my exact specifications, so this isn't like choosing a car off the lot the way we used to do it. I had no indication that was was familiar with what a Model 3 even was. He kept referring to "Teslas" as a generic car.

He then cautioned me against changing anything in my order (after having told him that I haven't been allowed to change anything in six weeks!). He said if I changed anything, I would go clear back to the "end of the line."

In the end he said that the *reasons* he knows that everything is fine with my order are:

1. It hasn't been eight weeks yet, so hearing about my order is expected and normal.
2. My delivery window of Sept-Nov hasn't even opened yet, so it would be silly to expect the car before that.

Yeah. So I was cheery and pleasant. Thanked him for making the call, and assuring me that all was fine with my order. Just because I sound all bitchy in this post, please don't assume that I was a butt-head on the call. I wasn't.

But man. 100% unsatisfying. Wouldn't it be great if somebody could tell me "if you just changed to white, and took delivery at Rocklin, we could assign you a VIN right now!" Or I don't know... told me ANYTHING about my order made almost two months ago?

You sound about my exact same standard level of patience and tolerance. I would also have had smoke coming out my ears - cue the Looney Tunes GIF - so I sympathize with you. Hoping you get one soon, @EVnut!

4/3/16 res
6/30/18 config

Haven't heard anything yet; the wait is excruciating! I called Tesla's line and the rep said based on the dates he would expect that I get a call within the next 1-2 weeks (that was on Friday). Given the dates of folks getting their calls above, is that a safe assumption?

Non-P AWD, MSM, PUP, EAP, 19" wheels.

Hang in there fellow Silver Spring'er!

Do you still have an edit button?

We also reserved 4/3/16 and now have an IDA we actually spoke to this morning but no VIN in our account yet. He said the car was out of the factory and ready to be transported; delivery in Rockville is looking like first week in September.

We have aeros and not 19s.

Hey guys so my IDA got in contact with me on 08/14 regarding me picking a date to pick up the vehicle and verifying information. I emailed her back that same day within the hour and now it’s been 48 hours without any contact from her or her answering my email/phone call. Has this happened to anyone else?

Hang in there fellow Silver Spring'er!

Do you still have an edit button?

We also reserved 4/3/16 and now have an IDA we actually spoke to this morning but no VIN in our account yet. He said the car was out of the factory and ready to be transported; delivery in Rockville is looking like first week in September.

We have aeros and not 19s.

Yes! Wahoo! Well that’s exciting. Congrats. It’ll be awesome if we run into each other with our 3s!

Perhaps there is something to that rumor about 19s being in short supply.

I haven’t had an edit button in ages, but I’m paying cash, which I believe triggers it disappearing anyway. At any rate, when I switched to “cash,” that was the moment it disappeared.

Fingers crossed I get the call tomorrow!

Owner, NC
Day-1 in store reservation
Original invite: March 23, 2018
AWD configuration email: Never got one, but noted ability to order in late June.
Ordered: June 30th
AWD (non-P), MSM, Black Interior, no EAP
Estimated Delivery: Sep – Nov ‘18

Called yesterday and was told the car is in transit, VIN 66xxx.
Expected delivery Sept 5.

If it matters, I cant find my VIN online via the 'View Source' approach.
humm I wonder if I am close. I am almost exact same as you, reservation day, original invite, and order. Only difference is silver vs msm and Im not an owner.

Sup guys and girls, 03/31/16 online reservation here, still haven't ordered my AWD Model 3. If I ordered it today with Black/Black Interior/18" Aero/No EAP how long do you think it would take for delivery? Are they prioritizing day 1 reservation holders even if we ended up converting much later?

Sup guys and girls, 03/31/16 online reservation here, still haven't ordered my AWD Model 3. If I ordered it today with Black/Black Interior/18" Aero/No EAP how long do you think it would take for delivery? Are they prioritizing day 1 reservation holders even if we ended up converting much later?
No one knows how much reservation date vs order date effects your delivery date. You’re probably the only person with that early of a reservation who didn’t reserve as soon as your configuration was available for order :D

I would guess you’d get it between 1 and 3 months..

Reactions: Ron Kerensky

I think you would get it in October.
I do not think you would get any specialty priority for an order placed after the floodgates opened (June or whatever).

I was a day 1 reserver as well and ordered on 8/10. Estimated delivery for me is between Oct - Dec. I did get an email from an Owner Advisor on 8/14 though basically to congratulate me for my order and Next steps. Haven't heard anything since.

No one knows how much reservation date vs order date effects your delivery date. You’re probably the only person with that early of a reservation who didn’t reserve as soon as your configuration was available for order :D.

Wow I am not alone in my waffling then! I reserved online as soon as the site went up for preorder ~3/31/16. I swear I had an AWD configuration available in Apr/May(?) but I wasn't quite a believer even then. Finally test drove a RWD unit in July and ordered an AWD on the spot.

...and after many calls and discussions I was assured since it was after June my 2500$ meant more than my 1000$, existing res had no bearing on anything and I should just cancel it, but I refuse.

No one knows how much reservation date vs order date effects your delivery date. You’re probably the only person with that early of a reservation who didn’t reserve as soon as your configuration was available for order :D

I would guess you’d get it between 1 and 3 months..
I think you would get it in October.
I do not think you would get any specialty priority for an order placed after the floodgates opened (June or whatever).

I was a day 1 reserver as well and ordered on 8/10. Estimated delivery for me is between Oct - Dec. I did get an email from an Owner Advisor on 8/14 though basically to congratulate me for my order and Next steps. Haven't heard anything since.

Thanks for the info everyone! I just ordered! Estimated delivery Oct. '18 - Dec. '18.

Haha yeah I ran into some legal issues when they announced the AWD configuration in June and had to pay my lawyer like half of a model 3 for retainer... Smh... But as long as I get delivery before December 31, 2018 I will be a happy camper!

Reactions: S5S5G6 and Big Earl
upload_2018-8-17_0-29-44.jpeg

Changed to prepare, still have edit link