Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does that preclude taking pictures in advance? In other words, does the app immediately place said pictures up on a Tesla provided page or do you submit them there? I ask because I just had my trade in washed and waxed and, as would be expected it rained, so I'd hate to have to wash the car again in a week. I expect that would be the next step in my transitioning. OK, so that's a question, where in the process do they ask for pics?

You can take pictures in advance. You need a front quarter shot, full side, rear quarter, full dash from between the front seats, and title.

I had to transfer from my phone to my computer, reduce the image size, transfer back to my phone, and then submit. The mobile webapp only accepts individual pics up to 4MB in size.

UPDATE: Just called in to see if I might have a VIN or IDA yet. Spoke to a very outgoing and helpful guy named Gino who told me that I didn't have either as of yet, and that they are working through a "2-3 week backlog" of VIN assignments at the moment. He kept stressing how slammed they are in all departments. Then he told me that he may be able to do something for me and placed me on a quick hold to verify his information.

When we returned, he told me that he's escalating my case to the back office, and that there will be eyes on my order from here forward, which was reassuring. He said (off the record) that I should be receiving my VIN within the next week or two, and if I don't then to give them a call back. For all I know he could have told me this just to placate me for now, but I'm hoping not.

I also suggested (with the disclaimer that I realize he may not be the person to suggest this to) that the Tesla account website should be more transparent during the production process and give more accurate/granular delivery estimates. He told me that they are currently in the process of upgrading the website to be more customer-friendly.

Finally, I asked if using the backdoor edit link trick was safe or not. He again put me on a brief hold to find out, and when he came back he recommended that I do not do this, as he couldn't be 100% sure that this did not affect my status. Probably just a safe answer on his part, but interesting nonetheless.

Received a call this morning cancelling our planned delivery tomorrow morning. Extremely vague, something about the car missing its truck to the service center for detailing. They claim the car is in Tacoma, WA with no way to get here in time which is funny because Tacoma is less than an hour's drive from our home.

Curiously, the VIN assignment has also disappeared from our page on Tesla's site. Doubly curious because they previously sent email suggesting we could arrange insurance on the VIN that no longer shows up. Anyone have a similar experience? My wife is less than impressed given that they've already transferred money from our account for the sale.

• Informative
Reactions: webdbbt
Reservation 4/1/2016
MSM/Black/Aero/DM/EAP
Configured 6/26/2018
Changed build 07/11/18 to change vehicle color to MBM.

Finally broke down and called Tesla for the first time ever today.

"I'm sorry it's taking so long.... looking at your reservation I can see you've done everything you need to do and now you are just queued up in line and will stay queued up until they produce enough of your configuration that you are assigned a VIN.... that could be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months from now".

Sorry to hear. I'm pretty surprised myself on how quickly this happened that I am frantically liquidizing assets for payment.

I also did get my VIN this morning, and it's at 66,4xx.

Received a call this morning cancelling our planned delivery tomorrow morning. Extremely vague, something about the car missing its truck to the service center for detailing. They claim the car is in Tacoma, WA with no way to get here in time which is funny because Tacoma is less than an hour's drive from our home.

Curiously, the VIN assignment has also disappeared from our page on Tesla's site. Doubly curious because they previously sent email suggesting we could arrange insurance on the VIN that no longer shows up. Anyone have a similar experience? My wife is less than impressed given that they've already transferred money from our account for the sale.

Yikes! I hope this doesn't have some kind of domino effect for Seattle area deliveries.

Yes, my delivery in NJ today was cancelled 2 hours prior (hadn’t arrived yet, vague truck delays). I just checked my account and like you, my VIN no longer shows up underneat the RN # like it did before. Weird,..

I wish the delivery windows could be narrowed down a bit. I'm a bit worried that I won't get mine before the end of the year despite the Sept-Nov windows listed on the site. Seems they are just getting to the line waiters now and I ordered over a year later. If tesla still isn't hitting 5k per weeks on a regular basis than theres no way they are going to reach 10k per week before the end of the year let alone in the next few months. There's probably at least 200k orders in front of my May 2017 reservation... Even if they actually hit 5k per week that's only 60k orders... I wonder if I should switch to RWD. That lack of information is troubling.

I wish the delivery windows could be narrowed down a bit. I'm a bit worried that I won't get mine before the end of the year despite the Sept-Nov windows listed on the site. Seems they are just getting to the line waiters now and I ordered over a year later. If tesla still isn't hitting 5k per weeks on a regular basis than theres no way they are going to reach 10k per week before the end of the year let alone in the next few months. There's probably at least 200k orders in front of my May 2017 reservation... Even if they actually hit 5k per week that's only 60k orders... I wonder if I should switch to RWD. That lack of information is troubling.
Yeah, I would love to know how many deliveries they are doing a week. If the factory is producing 5k+ cars weekly, and they can only deliver say 3k, then that will just continue to grow a bottleneck.

Yes, my delivery in NJ today was cancelled 2 hours prior (hadn’t arrived yet, vague truck delays). I just checked my account and like you, my VIN no longer shows up underneat the RN # like it did before. Weird,..

We've since heard from Tesla that the VIN only shows when delivery is scheduled (which is funny given that the "appointment" checkbox never did indicate the delivery that had been scheduled.) They confirmed the same VIN is still associated with our account, and said it would show again once the new delivery date made it into the system. We shall see as we have a new date lined up at the end of next week.

UPDATE: Just called in to see if I might have a VIN or IDA yet. Spoke to a very outgoing and helpful guy named Gino who told me that I didn't have either as of yet, and that they are working through a "2-3 week backlog" of VIN assignments at the moment. He kept stressing how slammed they are in all departments. Then he told me that he may be able to do something for me and placed me on a quick hold to verify his information.

When we returned, he told me that he's escalating my case to the back office, and that there will be eyes on my order from here forward, which was reassuring. He said (off the record) that I should be receiving my VIN within the next week or two, and if I don't then to give them a call back. For all I know he could have told me this just to placate me for now, but I'm hoping not.

I also suggested (with the disclaimer that I realize he may not be the person to suggest this to) that the Tesla account website should be more transparent during the production process and give more accurate/granular delivery estimates. He told me that they are currently in the process of upgrading the website to be more customer-friendly.

Finally, I asked if using the backdoor edit link trick was safe or not. He again put me on a brief hold to find out, and when he came back he recommended that I do not do this, as he couldn't be 100% sure that this did not affect my status. Probably just a safe answer on his part, but interesting nonetheless.
Hey Tich, a couple of quick comments. I've had much of this same type of interaction - including the escalation, eyes from the back office, and VIN soon. None of it turned out to be true, unfortunately. I think they will say anything and don't really have the kind of insider info you think they do. Also, if Gino really did give you off-the-record info, you outed him with your post. :rolleyes:

@GeekGirls - That’s interesting because my rescheduled appointment (8/30) shows up in my account, but the VIN is still missing. In fact, if I click on the ‘overview’ button (the one that shows the order steps) it no longer has “VIN” or “Payment” options marked as complete, but it does have “Appointment” as checked off. I’m not going to worry too much about it. All I can do is take them at their word, assume it’s just.a delayed truck, and hope for the best next week. My car is said to officially arrive (again) at the delivery center later this week so I’ll call this time and make sure it’s there.

Last edited:
Reservation 4/1/2016
MSM/Black/Aero/DM/EAP
Configured 6/26/2018

"I'm sorry it's taking so long.... looking at your reservation I can see you've done everything you need to do and now you are just queued up in line and will stay queued up until they produce enough of your configuration that you are assigned a VIN.... that could be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months from now".
I have called twice and been told that exact same thing. My account still shows "order placed" as furthest progress.

I have called twice and been told that exact same thing. My account still shows "order placed" as furthest progress.
yeah we are all stuck here it seems. i am on day 55 since i placed the order so thats longer than the average.
Capture.JPG

Reservation 4/1/2016
MSM/Black/Aero/DM/EAP
Configured 6/26/2018

What else are people expecting? Freemont is producing 6,000 M3s per month. It's apparent you've done everything necessary to date. Anecdotally, you should have it in the next 4-6 wks.
Is this what you're thinking of?
You're welcome!

I'm not really sure what you're asking. If you're asking why so many dates are prompted for, I didn't create the file or the import form, so I can't comment. The import form unfortunately doesn't seem to have error-checking, so some people are putting in invalid dates (like reserving before 2016-03-31, which I find using routines after the fact and correct / delete.

As for Location and Place, the former is a pick list that corresponds to regions (i.e. States and Procinves) which Google Sheets can automatically map. The Place field is optional and is for city or anything else.

Hope this helps!
Can you control opacity or alpha? I really don't like circles as they are antithetical to dense information. Here is more what I had in mind, there are other ways to accomplish it.
Going by week, #of reservations..post 6/20-something when reservation date was order date, for that week 100% of VINs or Deliveries is everything that was ordered. If you can control alpha or opacity 255 is full intensity, i.e. 255, 255, 255, 0-255. If you were dealing with just black, x axis would be week x-axis label could be month? Y-axis would be orders, scaled to Ymax the color would go from white (alpha of 0) to full (alpha of 255). What determines alpha is % VINs assigned or Delivered (2 charts one for VINs as f (reservations) other for deliveries as f(reservations). where f is function of. That might actually take 2 special charts for day1/day2 as there would be thousands of reservations. So, real case day 1, 30,000 reservations, 0 vins.. the Y axis would be white. if there were 30,000 VINs, the color would be solid black, like this type. You could actually do a heat map like ROYGBIV. Black may be easier. Once you get past..about 4/10 don't reservations go into the 10's/day. I'm not sure how much of that is possible but I do believe bar chart is more dense than circle chart. If you'd rather do other stuff during your day or evening, I totally understand that.

I think I missed this part but what caused them to need to escalate yours?

Hey Tich, a couple of quick comments. I've had much of this same type of interaction - including the escalation, eyes from the back office, and VIN soon. None of it turned out to be true, unfortunately. I think they will say anything and don't really have the kind of insider info you think they do. Also, if Gino really did give you off-the-record info, you outed him with your post. :rolleyes:
When did you call in and get that (non) info?

Here's hoping they're a bit too slammed to be perusing TMC ;)

Reactions: TechSavvyWife