Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prioritizing cars by subtle person preference on design elements is petty and just shows that they have not matured as a company to place importance on customer service yet. I get prioritizing cars based on significant jumps in cost such as Performance vs AWD vs RWD, but after that they should focus on reservation date, configuration date, and location. Those decisions are majorly effected by peoples finances. Color of interior and wheels are personal preference. The only reason I can see to charge more for White interior is because it likely has a higher scrap rate throughout the production process. So making black interiors would actually be more efficient to keep the production line maxed out. I do wonder with White interior if there is a need to run a bunch of them at once because the entire area must be extra clean during the process of install.

I don't think they are prioritizing cars based on personal preference -- I think they are producing white interiors on the same line as the Performance M3 where 19 inch rims are not even an option. They just stick on 18s or 20s (with suspension adjustments) with white interiors and let them roll off the line. The non-P white interiors with 18s likely came off the same line running these Performance cars, including the M3P non-PUP cars. They are essentially the same car, except the non-P cars drivetrains are software limited.

• Informative
Reactions: Omniver and jfs130
Definitely the white seats. Black seats here in Minneapolis, 5-7-16 reservation, 6-27-18 order. Crickets.....

I think they are prioritizing profitability for anything in Sept for Q3 numbers. White seats are probably pure profit. Same for EAP/FSD. Combine those 3 and it's about = $10000 profit vs a M3 with Black seats and no EAP (which is my M3 config).

I think they are prioritizing profitability for anything in Sept for Q3 numbers. White seats are probably pure profit. Same for EAP/FSD. Combine those 3 and it's about = $10000 profit vs a M3 with Black seats and no EAP (which is my M3 config).

This 100%. White seats $1500 gouging is basically 100% profit.
19" wheels have real costs associated with them vs. 18" aeros.

Reactions: voip-ninja
can someone fill in the timing below? I plan on finding my own finance and selling my car myself and am trying to plan ahead as much as possible. Disregarding reservations, what is to be expected for someone not paying cash?

-Time from order to edit button going away.
-Time from edit button going missing to VIN assignment.
-Time from VIN assignment until car is made.
-Time from when car is made to take delivery.

Got called today, interestingly from Downers Grove, IL. I almost didn't pick it up, but it looks Tesla has decentralized their inside sales operation to more regional teams, since I am taking delivery in Minneapolis. I'm pretty sure the white seats are the reason I am getting this car this early -- was prepared to wait until November!

Reservation: January 2018
Configured: 6/27/2018
AWD LR non-P
Deep Blue Metallic
Aero wheels
White interior (changed from black interior on 8/26).
EAP
FSD
Minneapolis, MN
Cash/no-trade
Delivery scheduled 9/22 in Eden Prairie, MN
ISA would not give me a VIN yet, but confirmed a specific vehicle is assigned (why so secretive?)
In case something happens between now and then. My ISA said that was the reason they prefer to give it out closer to delivery date.

That much profit is minuscule even at scale compared to EAP/FSD or the loyalty/satisfaction of those finally trying to be a part of the Tesla brand.

In the grand scheme of things, I agree completely. However they need to deliver on their investor guidance of a profitable quarter of which I would guess they are going to be very close. Elon has said cash positive for Q3 and Q4. So every little bit helps for this endeavor and this also helps show a higher % of profit per M3 sold.

So while yes, this is monkeying with the numbers to an extent it's unfortunately a game that they have to play right now.

can someone fill in the timing below? I plan on finding my own finance and selling my car myself and am trying to plan ahead as much as possible. Disregarding reservations, what is to be expected for someone not paying cash?

-Time from order to edit button going away.
-Time from edit button going missing to VIN assignment.
-Time from VIN assignment until car is made.
-Time from when car is made to take delivery.
The time from order to VIN assignment is anywhere from <1 week to >2 years. VIN assignment to delivery is roughly 2 to 8 weeks. Being more precise than that is pretty much impossible.