Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to post some info on my latest conversations with Tesla. On Sunday I decided to send an email to customer service asking if my order was “stuck” based on the info Neroden posted. This afternoon I recieved a reply, and the agent said he doesn’t know anything about stuck orders but that my car has moved into production and I should hear from a delivery advisor soon. So yay me! But before you other misfit toys get excited, read on. I decided to call the 888 number to confirm the news in the email. When I got through to someone and asked him to confirm, he looked at my account and said unfortunately he doesn’t see that anything has changed. HOWEVER, he says they are trying to match as many owners to VINs as possible and to call this delivery number he’s going to give me to ask them to find me a VIN. So then I do that! And they guy I reach there says he doesn’t understand why they gave me his number and that he will email a delivery advisor and copy me on the email to get the ball rolling. I was driving at the time, so I said great, and I will check when I get home. About 90 minutes later I rolled in, checked my email, and NOTHING. Don’t know if he emailed anyone, but he definitely didn’t copy me. So basically I’m right back where I started at this point.

So tomorrow I’ll call them again and see what I can see. On the bright side, I had a conversation with my teenaged son today that made me forgot about my Tesla for a few hours. He’s a high school baseball player and he got a call today from a college coach at one of the schools he is targeting. The coach called to invite him for a campus visit and to meet the other baseball players etc. Needless to say, my son is really excited. And I’m so excited for him, enough so that it made me realize I’ll get the car when I get the car. In the grand scheme of life, the car simply isn’t that important. ;-)

I’m at D-1 on delivery. But Tesla Model 3 deliveries, like SpaceX Falcon 9 launches, are subject to a lot of potential delays. So, keeping fingers crossed and will update folks tomorrow. (I’m also anxiously awaiting the electrician estimate for home charging, which is now overdue at D+1, but which to be sure is greatly complicated by the fact that I live in an apartment.)

Wanted to post some info on my latest conversations with Tesla. On Sunday I decided to send an email to customer service asking if my order was “stuck” based on the info Neroden posted. This afternoon I recieved a reply, and the agent said he doesn’t know anything about stuck orders but that my car has moved into production and I should hear from a delivery advisor soon. So yay me! But before you other misfit toys get excited, read on. I decided to call the 888 number to confirm the news in the email. When I got through to someone and asked him to confirm, he looked at my account and said unfortunately he doesn’t see that anything has changed. HOWEVER, he says they are trying to match as many owners to VINs as possible and to call this delivery number he’s going to give me to ask them to find me a VIN. So then I do that! And they guy I reach there says he doesn’t understand why they gave me his number and that he will email a delivery advisor and copy me on the email to get the ball rolling. I was driving at the time, so I said great, and I will check when I get home. About 90 minutes later I rolled in, checked my email, and NOTHING. Don’t know if he emailed anyone, but he definitely didn’t copy me. So basically I’m right back where I started at this point.

So tomorrow I’ll call them again and see what I can see. On the bright side, I had a conversation with my teenaged son today that made me forgot about my Tesla for a few hours. He’s a high school baseball player and he got a call today from a college coach at one of the schools he is targeting. The coach called to invite him for a campus visit and to meet the other baseball players etc. Needless to say, my son is really excited. And I’m so excited for him, enough so that it made me realize I’ll get the car when I get the car. In the grand scheme of life, the car simply isn’t that important. ;-)

Keep us posted. I let the rep I talked to yesterday know they have 30 days to deliver my car to make good on their estimates.

Of course, I’m really just trying to push things forward. Realistically I know that the 2-4 months from order is at odds with the Sep-Nov delivery estimate.

Same here. Hopefully you aren't de-VINd like I just was.
Well, it happened to me a week or so at this point. I feel obligated to point out. The reason they aren't giving out VINs is because it is not 'your' car until you take delivery of it. I have seen mention that they are focusing on remaining day 1 or otherwise early reservations that have languished. Perhaps that is why cars are magically being rerouted in flight. I am guessing we are all in the Sept-Dec windows which they have claimed they are consistently hitting month 2, in our case Oct. It's not Oct yet. Keep in mind too that as people take delivery they, reasonably, leave this particular forum. That leaves though of us remaining fewer in number but more acutely aware we are bringing up the rear. Good news though, the next cohort, Oct-Dec were reservations/configs) done in August. For those of us with 2017 reservations, we should be fully delivered w/i 3 weeks.

Here is something else to consider. I thought it just an oddity, a wording change until moments ago, brushing my teeth. One the workflow list from the overview hyperlink, the item, receive VIN is missing. It's now
Order
Prepare for Delivery
Payment
Delivery no mention of VIN.
Here's what I think. They are getting ready to stock Service Centers...no more back orders. That may well be what the car movements are about. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I was scheduled for delivery this Saturday. VIN is there so have been keeping fingers crossed. I figured someone from Tesla might be contracting me so I started answering random calls today. After one pitching solar from Murrietta CA, I got a call from Fremont! It was my DA Kent, verifies all my details, said my car was arriving today and I could pick up early, but I wanted to actually delay until Sunday. He set me up and said ACH available 24 hrs prior. Seemed very on the ball, and was very pleasant. Keeping fingers crossed, I think it may happen. I have to say it’s gone better than expected so far....I think I’m getting mine as I’m only 100 miles from Fremont. Verified our conversation with follow up email within the hour.

I just got this text!

Hello from the Tesla Delivery team. Our logistics team has confirmed a Model 3 matching your order is available this week. Are you available to take delivery between 9/26 and 9/30?

WTF.
Same here, just came here to share.
Last 2 digits of yours 52? Or a different #?

I spoke with my IDA yesterday (to confirm a financial change) who confirmed I still didn’t have a VIN , but indicated they were in “if it can, it will” matching mode right now. I mean if Kimball said it...

Or their system just hiccuped and gave us all hope

• Helpful
Reactions: webdbbt
I just got this text!

Hello from the Tesla Delivery team. Our logistics team has confirmed a Model 3 matching your order is available this week. Are you available to take delivery between 9/26 and 9/30?

WTF.

I just got this text as well about an hour ago. I responded but no response. Wtf...(this is the 4th time I’ve heard that a car is ready....with the first 3 being false....)

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and webdbbt

The guy was new and misspoke, based on what I've been told. I had one call with my DA Fri and another this AM. He said the local SC is trying to come up with a car to replace the one they rerouted and, in the absence of one, just order me a new one from Fremont. Sure, there are a few cars unmatched from buyers that 'refuse' the car allotted to them for a fixable scratch or dent or replaced cracked windshield. That takes less than a day, normal dealers do it all the time rather than order one from Detroit or Osaka. But, to your point, these guys seem like the SSA, what your told as an answer depends on who you talk to. I believe the number he gave you shepherd cars from Fremont to your local SC. They called me on the 6th to say, your car is on it's way, here is your DA enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
If this is some screw up in their system I’m going to lose it.

My DA said there was no car in my state, current config or performance, in any color, at 4pm today.

Now suddenly my exact car is available? Tomorrow?! Hmmm.

Only thing I can think is they just got dumped off the truck and it triggered some new text flow.

Maybe it only goes to cash buyers? Not sure who else could turn it around in a day.

In any event, I’m now going to lose sleep. Sigh.

Last edited:
I’m now assuming the # is a prank, and someone somewhere has our info. Delivery is based in 702 and while the plant is in Cali - something is just fishy.

Good luck to all though, maybe something (good) really is happening. But the lack of an RN or anything in the message = hmmm

I was just about to reach out to Inside Advisor to follow up on Tesla matching a second appraisal for my trade-in, when I received a call - my first returned call! At first he told me that my delivery site changed from Highland Park (IL) to Grand Ave in Chicago. I didn't request any changes, but told him I was fine with it because I actually live in the city, so it's closer / more convenient.

I then asked if delivery was still scheduled for Friday (9/28) as I was rescheduled once before (originally 9/24, prior to VIN assignment), and he said that unfortunately it would have to be pushed back one day, but that it appeared the car was en route and scheduled to arrive on 9/28, although I am not sure if at the Grand Ave location or some nearby staging lot. A little bit annoying, but at least now I wouldn't have to make up an excuse to cut out of work early on Friday.

Then he said that I was actually scheduled for home delivery (again, not something I requested or was previously offered). He initially said the Grand Ave location for pickup because it's listed as the nearest delivery/service center, but when reviewing my account he saw I was scheduled for home delivery on Saturday (9/29). He said there is something going on with the Highland Park location because he's personally had to reschedule a couple deliveries from there, so for those with delivery in HP in the coming days it might be worth a quick phone call to confirm. I asked how I would handle the trade-in and finalizing any paperwork / payment and he told me that honestly, it's all completely up in the air because a lot of processes are changing and the email communication internally has been lacking - good to know it's not just us being left in the dark ;)

Anyways, he's been the most responsive and transparent of agents I've spoken to thus far and it's pretty clear that he's doing the best he can with what he's got access to. He submitted my secondary appraisal to the team to review and hopefully match, and told me he'd get me an answer on how the vehicle was going to be delivered - flat bed or driven. I assume the latter so they can drive away with my trade-in, but again, who knows...

Yikes. I’m sure it will all work out, but I’m now really getting nervous about my Saturday Highland Park delivery. Trade in offer was in fair range (especially with credit on sales tax) so I think I’m ready to go, but you just never know with Tesla. Like I told Tesla the first time they delayed me, “How many times can you tell a kid that Christmas is postponed?”

You have a DA? I reserved and ordered before you.

Breathe Dan, just breathe.

If it makes you feel any better, I only know/think I do because I called the main number again yesterday and bugged them. The rep said I have a DA and gave me her first name (no contact info whatsoever), but said I do not have a VIN. Said I would hear from her. I of course have not heard anything.

Also, for comparison:
Reserved 8/3/17
Ordered 6/30/18
Long range, AWD, silver metallic, black interior, aeros, no software.
Delivery I assume will be at Tyson’s Virginia because I live fairly close (way closer than to any other center), though I don’t recall actually selecting a delivery center when ordering? If I did, I would have selected that.
In early July I filled in all requested info and selected cash payment, at which point edit button disappeared. But back door edit link still works now.

So maybe the magic factor is silver, which they are discontinuing and expediting (if you believe anything they say, which I don’t).

I have to believe we’re all getting close and early October will bring progress and some clarity. Because otherwise I’ll just break things.

Hang in there man. (And others in this position. I consider myself still there.)

Reactions: neroden
Wow, so 30 mins ago I got a text from the "Tesla Delivery team" saying the "logistics team" has confirmed a Model 3 matching my config and could I take delivery this week!

WHAT???

I answered yes but told them we have not been asked to Tesla financing. No response, no changes to my account. Let's see what tomorrow brings. o_O

If course I am wondering if this is someone else's rejected car.