Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of things. When you got your S it was a $100,000+ vehicle, correct? There simply isn't a very strong demand for $100,000+ vehicles so each delivery could be like a 4 yr old's birthday or Christmas. Ribbon around the car, Champagne? Once the price point for the next Tesla was moved to the affluent range rather than 1% range, my guess, orders were 4x what the S was. Further, they wanted to maximize federal tax credit so they had a pent up demand followed by an ill-prepared manufacturing process.
They were completely unprepared for delivering 50,000 cars in, effectively, 1 quarter.

I suspect they are through their bubble now or all-but. The Q3 ends tomorrow. The rush to book revenue ends tomorrow. My bet is sanity resumes and insanity ends on Monday. People will likely be notified when their car has been prepped and detailed. Likely with a one week window for pickup before put into inventory again.

Prediction: This last 3 months will repeat on steroids with the SR M3 at the median income automobile price point of $35,000.

I
Sanity may return temporarily on Monday, but by Dec 31 things will be twice as crazy. The big difference will be that come the end of December people will accept cars with the front bumper missing just to make sure they get the tax credit.

Yes, they texted and called in the morning to let me know and to confirm payment via check. After I texted back, they said they will be there at 9.

Decided to give a call to delivery hotline since other than an email last night, I hadn't received any phone call or text confirmation. Then again, I already have the balance paid via ACH so should just be signing Tesla Financing documents and giving keys to trade-in.

Anyways, the agent said it "looked" like the car was at the staging area for the local delivery center, but that she couldn't actually confirm it. I was told she was going to call into the delivery center for more details since my scheduled delivery time was fast-approaching. She prepped me that since they were extremely busy it might take a while to get through, but that she would give me a call back in 10-20 minutes. I should have just told her I'd sit on hold, because over 30 minutes later no call back and my scheduled home delivery is now less than an hour away...

We picked up VIN 97XXX this morning in Marina del Rey, CA. We were in and out in 15 minutes. Super painless and our car was flawless.

The delivery center wasn't super busy, at least not yet since it was 9:30AM. There were 3 or 4 groups other than us waiting for their deliveries, and there were two volunteers chatting with the soon-to-be owners. Overall it was a very nice experience.

AWD, Red, White seats, 19" wheels.

My delivery estimate is Sep-Nov. As long as they don't miss that, I am fine. Would have been nice to get delivery in the earlier range, but when I dropped 2.5k, they gave me a delivery estimate which I feel is reasonable. After dropping the 1k, I figured I would be on a waiting list in the 2 yr plus range for expected delivery so getting it this year gives me a$7500 discount.

I do think it is unfair to give an exact configured car to same delivery destination to someone with later order date and it does seem a bit unfair to not give more consideration to the 1k deposit people.
It is also quite unfair to mess with people who have loan issues and needing to trade in current vehicle to acquire the M3 with "you got one. no you don't" and giving them sometimes less than a day to iron that stuff out. It totally sucks to be one of them only to find out they are in the cold. That being said, I have not seen one case of someone getting their new car and being disappointed in the whole car, recognizing that there have been some issues with mostly paint and lack of attention to getting car detailed prior to delivery. I'll suffer the frowns early for the smiles later.

Last edited:
My delivery estimate is Sep-Nov. As long as they don't miss that, I am fine. Would have been nice to get delivery in the earlier range, but when I dropped 2.5k, they gave me a delivery estimate which I feel is reasonable. After dropping the 1k, I figured I would be on a waiting list in the 2 yr plus range for expected delivery so getting it this year gives me a$7500 discount.

I do think it is unfair to give an exact configured car to same delivery destination to someone with later order date and it does seem a bit unfair to not give more consideration to the 1k deposit people.
It is also quite unfair to mess with people who have loan issues and needing to trade in current vehicle to acquire the M3 with "you got one. no you don't" and giving them sometimes less than a day to iron that stuff out. It totally sucks to be one of them only to find out they are in the cold. That being said, I have not seen one case of someone getting their new car and being disappointed in the whole car, recognizing that there have been some issues with mostly paint and lack of attention to getting car detailed prior to delivery. I'll suffer the frowns early for the smiles later.
I think much, if not all, of what you said is related to the Q3 blitz. I expect sanity starting mondaM.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden and cct3

I appreciate your attitude. I’m on the same page re: Sep-Nov window and being happy as long as delivery happens in there somewhere.

Based on the spreadsheets and such, it looks like a lot of the backlog of orders that happened on or prior to late June will be delivered in October. I don’t think we’re very far away.

this uproar is absolutely nothing compared to the last week of december. there will be tears, people will lose their minds, there will be smoke in the city when one day costs someone $3750, I think we can all agree. bring marshmallows

giphy.gif

Agreed. Mass hysteria!

giphy.gif

Agreed. Mass hysteria!

One of the best scenes of any movie, EVER! I believe that same scene (in the Mayor’s office) also included the lines Egon: “everything was fine until d**kless here shut down the containment grid”
Mayor: “is this true?”
Spangler: “yes sir it’s true, this man has no d**k”

They don’t make ‘em like that any more.

this uproar is absolutely nothing compared to the last week of december. there will be tears, people will lose their minds, there will be smoke in the city when one day costs someone $3750, I think we can all agree. bring marshmallows
Hopefully Tesla will learn their lesson from this debacle and Under Promise / Over Deliver when the stakes are $3750 of the customers money. Oh wait.... 12/31/18 is also EOQ. :)

• Funny
Reactions: austinmichaeld
(x-post Seattle/Bellevue waiting room)
My delivery gauntlet has finally ended.

P3D-, OBM, 18", Black, EAP
Reserved 3/31/16 Online
15APR18: 3LR | MSM | 19" | Black | EAP <- First Production order
27JUN18: 3LRD | MSM | 19" | Black | EAP
14JUL18: P3D- | PWMC | 18" | Black | EAP
05AUG18: 3LRD | MSM | 18" | Black | EAP
10SEP18: P3D- | MSM | 18" | Black | EAP
12SEP18: P3D- | OBM | 18" | Black | EAP
16SEP18:
VIN'd (707xx) and delivery scheduled for 24SEP18
23SEP18: "Car isn't here yet" call, delivery rescheduled:
28SEP18: 3:30pm Delivery at Bellevue-20th St.

I checked in 45 minutes early and waited 3 hours before we started doing paperwork and I started my inspection and delivery checklist. At least they had Costco cookies, locally sourced cold brew, and other snacks. A food truck was right by the front door for those who were getting hungry and wanted heavier fare.

My wait was definitely tempered by excitement, however the check-in people gave the option of picking up the car with only an hour wait if you postpone the detailing for another week. I did not, I wanted to drive off in a shiny black car. for that, I had to suffer with everyone else. I was told the cars were moving from the old Sears (staging area) and being detailed at the old Bellevue SC on 18th. Finally, around 5:30pm, my name was called to complete paperwork.

I signed all but the last page in the folder the DA had. I asked to see the car before signing the final "delivery confirmation" paper and they had no problem with that. She was very patient and the whole experience post-wait did not feel rushed at all. The car itself was virtually perfect. No panel gap issues, no headlight or taillight misalignment, no issues with seals, no black goop, and very very minor paint issues which I summed to be within spec for any black car. The Obsidian Black is an amazing color (shame it's gone), it's a very deep ultraviolet in the right light and has a lot of depth from the metallic paint flakes.

The seals in the trunk were just slightly dusty and there were a few fingerprints, residual wax from the detail, and smudges on the interior glass, but otherwise materially flawless. No model car in the glovebox or center console, but I didn't reserve in store so I suppose that's by design.

After completing my inspection, the delivery adviser that did my paperwork handed me off to another DA to give me a 10-minute trainer and setup for my car. I sat in it and hilariously said "Is this even happening? This is my car?" The DA quipped that many other new owners say the exact same thing.

Notably, the Monroney sticker found in the trunk had "AWD Dual Motor" across the top but the "as configured" section on the right section said "Model 3 Long Range Rear Wheel Drive." Huh. I triple confirmed that it was in fact a P3D-. Also, the red underline in the car info screen and subsequent butt dyno test when I peeled out of the SC concurred that as well. The car was probably a non-P Dual Motor car that so happened to have been built with the binned hardware but was flashed to Performance to match my config. Just a guess.

EAP was properly activated and calibrated in 15 minutes. Mobile app works flawlessly and without interruption. P3D- is ungodly fast even after 75 mph. So far I'm getting atrocious efficiency, but flooring it at every opportunity isn't helping. I smoked a BMW 340i xDrive on my way back home too. The 30 minutes that I drove responsibly on the highway resulted in a pretty sweet 240 Wh/mi with A/C on. All this doesn't really matter at $0.029/mi. Today, I take off my aero covers, install u/kenriko's matte black console wrap, and go through my personal wax routine.

Thank you Tesla, this is an amazing product. For everyone else, hang in there! Don't let forum-induced anxiety scare you, this was the textbook delivery experience for most people I was chatting with. The long, long wait just evaporates as soon as you see that "T" pull up in front of you.
IMG_0085.jpeg

Has anyone had a successful delivery without a vin showing up on your acct first? I've got an 11:30 appt tomorrow, but no vin yet.

Yes, I did.

After "Tesla Direct" out of Kato Road in Fremont stood me up on my 2-4pm delivery of a P3- with a VIN never assigned on Friday, at 10pm I drove 5 miles to the Fremont Delivery Center. They didn't have a P3D- White/white available, so they VIN-matched me as we waited to a 3 AWD non-perf White/black with only 8 miles on it. They still let me turn my 2016 Model X P90D 6 months early, Tesla picking up my remaining payments and disposition fee! (Originally, I would have had to take delivery of a P3+/- or any S/X to get that "ownership loyalty" deal.) I left a very happy camper, having saved $11,500 + 9.25% tax on the 3. We also save another $12K on 6 months of P90D X payments. :cool: Non-perf AWD was what we originally wanted anyway. I managed to get through the entire awesome http://www.teslachecklists.com/model-3-delivery-checklist/ and my 3 passed with flying colors. If you go at night, bring a bright flashlight.

We were the last customers to leave Fremont Delivery Center around midnight. Tesla paid for their employees to take Ubers home.

Still wasn't close to covering my paper losses on $TSLA on Friday. Of course, it will spike right back up on Monday now that Elon/$TSLA have settled with the SEC. It's a financial roller coaster!

Today driving the 3 I noticed the efficiency is excellent. I averaged 210 Wh/mile 25 miles mix of freeway and local driving. My old 2016 P90D X averaged 415 Wh/mile over 38K miles. Will see what the long term ends up being once I start doing some road trips at the speeds++ I drive.

Picked up my AWD Obsidian Black with White Interior today in Marina Del Rey. I found no issues with the car after my fairly detailed inspection. There was a little mix up with the financial doc's but that was quickly corrected. I was there early in the morning but the staff was great. Unfortunately I don't remember their names but the volunteers made the experience better by being there to share in the excitement and giving tips for new model 3 owners. I was in and out in about 30 minutes.

20180929_100342.jpg

Umm....I had a 4 to 6 PM window delivery time today. Still no delivery. All Tesla reps are offline right now. What gives?? Am I at least due an explanation?

Update: Just got a call from tesla asking if i received the car. No I didnt. So he says was it because i switched my financing to Tesla. I said no. I have a check from my bank for them. Then he says ok, I'll let them know and they'll be on their way.

Hahahha wtf??? I ask him shouldn't they already be here? And he says there was a mixup with my paperwork and they're only 15 minutes away. Huh????

Last edited:
Umm....I had a 4 to 6 PM window delivery time today. Still no delivery. All Tesla reps are offline right now. What gives?? Am I at least due an explanation?

Update: Just got a call from tesla asking if i received the car. No I didnt. So he says was it because i switched my financing to Tesla. I said no. I have a check from my bank for them. Then he says ok, I'll let them know and they'll be on their way.

Hahahha wtf??? I ask him shouldn't they already be here? And he says there was a mixup with my paperwork and they're only 15 minutes away. Huh????
This happened to me yesterday: 4-6pm delivery time and no show. At 7:30 I received a call and they were on their way. I was heart broken at first, but they ended up delivering my car after all. My account delivery time was also removed around 4:30pm, which didn’t help my anxiety.

I am now a Model 3 owner. Showed up to Highland Park at 5:30 tonight for 6:00pm appointment and found....mass chaos. Showroom packed with people, some with 2pm appointments and no luck. A lot of unhappy campers. I found a rep who could not find me on list, so she disappeared to try and get info. 10 minutes later she brought me to another rep. We went out to inspect trade in and get odometer reading, then back inside to do paperwork. Other than asking how I would pay $8000 (I owed nothing), he fixed paperwork quickly and signing took 5-10 minutes. 10 minutes later car magically appeared outside showroom. We went out to inspect. Rep said car had just been detailed and was perfect. We stepped inside car and went over some basics and 10 minutes later I was driving away. Have calibrated auto pilot and the car is smooth and fast and fun and comfortable. The regen braking is the thing I’ll have to get used to most, but this car is fun!!!!! Can’t wait to wake up tomorrow and drive anywhere!!!

Showed up an hour early at MDR and they took care of right away. They wouldn't let me see the car until it's all signed, but since there was only 2 silvers on the lot, and the other was white seats. I knew the one with the black interior was mine. Went over to inspect it while the DA went to get more paper works. Turned out there were many minor paint defects but one major one under the clear coat that they couldn't fix. I will have to bring it into a service center and schedule an appointment for a body shop. I don't mind since it was in the door jam and SC will loan me a Model S or X.

Attachments

• 20180929_194725-01.jpeg
    20180929_194725-01.jpeg
    417.6 KB · Views: 54