Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it depends on your state/service center. Some can and others can not. Charlotte NC for example can not.

And in California I was able to write it for basically the entire amount. They clear the check really quickly, I wrote the check Wednesday evening and it was out of my account by Thursday the next day.

Reactions: fallen888
Soo after much see saw.. My Monday 15th delivery got pushed up to Friday. Thursday was an option too but didn't want to risk the check not reaching them in time. I might just show up tomorrow if the check gets delivered tomorrow morning. The car is on the lot.. Confirmed with multiple customer service agents. So this time it might be happening fo'real

Now that I have a minute I can give you a quick run down of my delivery experience. My last three weeks have been pretty well documented here so I won't dwell on it. Understand that nothing I say here changes or lessens the frustration of that experience. However...

First of all, nobody hated the end of quarter rush more than the employees. That is a universal truth everyone at the delivery center recognizes and apologized for. That brings me to my next point. The people at the Roswell/Alpharetta delivery center were universally, to a person, professional, polite, funny and an overall joy to spend time with. From the receptionist, to the techs that were doing the last minute preps, to the delivery personnel. Everybody was pleasantly engaging and asked about my car and congratulated me without being overbearing in any way. Huge shout out to Johnathon who gave me my tour of the car. He is the MAN! Paperwork took all of 5 minutes and then it was off to the car!

Inspection...
They gave me as much time as I wanted to look the car over. My first check was the paint. I forgot a descent flashlight so I wasn't able to check for swirl marks and such as much as I would have wanted to. No major flakes, bubbling, chips or other obvious issues. I figured the minor stuff would be taken care of next week when I get her wrapped and ceramic coated anyway. Now the not so good. Fairly significant panel misalignment where the front bumper meets the front quarter panel. Also a noticeable misalignment with the hood to front quarter panels. Interior was great except for some staining on the seats, both front and back. Jonathon immediately took it around to the techs that were just closing up shop and 15 minutes later brought the car back around and it was perfect!. Panels great, stains gone. Other than those issues the car looked great.

Walkthrough...
Jonathon then paired all of our phones (mine, my wife's, and my oldest son's that was with us) to the car (we had already downloaded the app.) He went through all the pertinent information with me. Charging, settings, controls, navigation, etc. He answered all our questions and we were off!

Drive home...
The initial impression as we drove off the lot was nothing short of awe. Of course I had to get the acceleration question out of the way right off the bat. As a result, my son got to hear my wife drop the F bomb (he's 23 so it's nothing he hasn't heard before) as she immediately shouted "Holy F***, STOP!" After the ensuing laughter subsided we settled into a more mundane ride home. Autopilot calibrated in about 20 miles and we had a chance to experience that a few times. Sufficiently impressed to say the least. Got to experience the emergency safety features first hand as well. We were on a two lane residential street and overtaking a woman on a moped. She drifted toward my lane from the shoulder and the car saw her as another car and immediately applied the brakes and slowed dramatically as it beeped a warning. Very cool. Wife and son were very impressed. Gonna take a while to get used to the media streaming but I am sure it will be fine. If anyone can tell me how to save stations to a favorites list or something similar that is available when you first bring up the media panel I would be greatly appreciative. The sound system is indeed incredible.

Overall impressions...
Me- This thing is everything I had hoped for and dreamed about for the last two years. Period.

My wife- I thought she would like it because it is what I wanted but she isn't really a techy type person. On the contrary she truly loved the car. Wants to try autopilot while driving. Can't wait to get her turn to drive.

My son- He is most definitely a tech nerd! To say he liked the car would be a travesty of understatement. All I heard from him on the way home were giggles as he found another detail he hadn't noticed. He spent the entire ride home filming from the back seat and sending videos to his girlfriend.

Overall...what a car. Once Tesla can figure out the delivery scheduling issues that have been WELL documented here, this car is going to change the world...no doubt about it.

Dan

Congrats on finally getting that new car. What version of the software did you get ?

Called Tesla and I was given a VIN# and an 11/5 delivery date. I was told that my car’s in Fremont waiting to get on a train. I want to have complete faith that my delivery will hold but after reading about so many cancellations on this thread, (I had 2 myself though with no VIN# assigned), I think the better option is a hopeful skepticism. And although the delivery date has appeared on my account online, the VIN# has not. I wonder what that could mean?

Called Tesla and I was given a VIN# and an 11/5 delivery date. I was told that my car’s in Fremont waiting to get on a train. I want to have complete faith that my delivery will hold but after reading about so many cancellations on this thread, (I had 2 myself though with no VIN# assigned), I think the better option is a hopeful skepticism. And although the delivery date has appeared on my account online, the VIN# has not. I wonder what that could mean?
The VIN doesn't show on your account until 7 days out.

Reactions: the_danimal
The reply was that there were indeed cars at the service center that were not assigned to anyone.

When I visited Alpharetta last weekend I was told there were unassigned cars available, but only RWD models. The AWD’s are in high demand so not many of those sitting around, especially in Atlanta. If you are willing to take a RWD you may be able to sign and drive on the same day.

Updated data point:

reserved - 2016.03.31 line waiter
2018.07.21 - configured
2018.09.25 text bonanza begins
2018.09.26 through 28
(multiple texts, emails, calls,
account updated to allow financial info,
IDA initial contact)
2018.09.28 hopes and dreams crushed via text
2018.10.02 emailed IDA and received updated MVPA/VIN
(hopes and dreams resurrected!)

VIN 116XXX

UPDATE:
2018.10.4 finalized loan paperwork (2.5%) - overnight cashier's check to Freemont address
because that's what was on the MVPA. (IDA said check should go to Las Vegas address
instead (Pollock Dr) but it was en route already ... oops - now delivery will be delayed -
especially with Columbus day on Monday)
2018.10.10 @ 11 a.m. IDA called me and said he had the check and asked me, "when when do you
want to pick up?" (offered me Friday 10/12 or Saturday 10/13 - Saturday works best so I schedule it.)
2018.10.10 @ 4 p.m. received text from local service center saying car is ready now, can I come
pick it up? or do I want it delivered to my house? (wife wants to look at it at service center in case
any huge issues come up, so we scheduled delivery tomorrow, Thursday 10/11 at 1:30 p.m. You can
tell who has more brains in our family, because I was all like, "Hell yeah! Bring it over NOW please!)

Wow! What a difference between the end of Q3 and beginning of Q4! We'll see how things shake out tomorrow, but if I ignore the last week in September I am an extremely satisfied customer. Hopefully this gives the rest of the stragglers on here (and the new orders going forward) some hope.

I'm especially glad how things are turning out because I have already ordered floor mats, center console wrap, replacement LED puddle lights, matte screen protector, T E S L A rear emblem, microfiber towels, grit guards, buckets, rinseless car wash, and high capacity USB thumb drive, and about 30 other things. Maybe that's what finally tipped things over for me?

Good luck everyone!

What's your ETA on your account page?
Have you called delivery hotline to check on the status of the order?
Did you reserve before 6/30?
It says October, but I was hoping it would have been sooner, as so many people have ordered after us and already got theirs. And, yes, I've called the delivery hotline last week. No movement on my account. And, as owners already, I made our reservations (2) the day they opened for reservations, back in '16. Long story, though. They used both our reservations for one car (a RWD, which we already got in December.) They called us after we got that one and said our car was ready. We said we already had it. They used the 2nd reservation we had, which we were waiting to order an AWD Perf. So, we had to reserve again, setting us back.