Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD = Dual Motor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Purchased a used 2018 Model 3 Long Range.

When I look at the sticker on the key card and the key card wallet, the sticker with the VIN says it is a Long Range AWD. However, none of the information on the screen or app state that the car is a dual motor. From what I understand, dual motor means AWD. I also looked at the VIN of the car and it also didn't mention it was a dual motor.

I'm just very confused why would the original stickers on the card + wallet state that the car is AWD (I'm assuming the AWD stands for all wheel drive instead of RWD). The sticker does have the VIN of the car matched so I know those stickers are for the actual car.

Any ideas of what's going on?

AWD = Dual Motor. There should be a badge on the back of the car that say Dual Motor as well, unless the previous owner removed it. From the screen, click on the car icon and then select Software. This should also indicate Dual Motor. If you don't see it on the screen, then it's a RWD, not a Dual Motor.

Screen cap:
upload_2020-8-29_14-54-45.png

Red line under Dual Motor indicates Performance model.

Yes, AWD means dual motor always. There is no "drive shaft" going between the front and back wheels (nor any place to put it, since there is no tunnel in the passenger area, and the space under that is FULL of batteries. As the previous poster notes, check in the Software section on the screen (my car came without the Dual Motor rear badge, which I like, but I was careful to check on the screen to make sure it WAS the dual motor I had paid for!).

Hey guys,

Purchased a used 2018 Model 3 Long Range.

When I look at the sticker on the key card and the key card wallet, the sticker with the VIN says it is a Long Range AWD. However, none of the information on the screen or app state that the car is a dual motor. From what I understand, dual motor means AWD. I also looked at the VIN of the car and it also didn't mention it was a dual motor.

I'm just very confused why would the original stickers on the card + wallet state that the car is AWD (I'm assuming the AWD stands for all wheel drive instead of RWD). The sticker does have the VIN of the car matched so I know those stickers are for the actual car.

Any ideas of what's going on?

Yeah as @camalaio said, there is no such thing as "original stickers on the keycard". I have no idea where you bought it from, but tesla doesnt put "original stickers on the keycard", so whoever you bought it from might have put a sticker on there but that doesnt mean anything.

Also, vin lookup tools on the internet dont mean much either for model 3 anyway. Your tesla account will specify exactly what car it is, so will the car itself as other people have said.

"Sticker with vin" and "sticker on keycard" sounds like something that would be put on by a car lot, and that would mean less than zero about what type of car it is. Badges dont mean anything either since tesla will sell anyone whatever badge they want.

That's not correct in this case.

8th digit in the VIN tells you single (A) vs dual motor (B)- and there's a third letter (C), for 2020 models, to call out Performance...prior to that it was the same letter as regular dual motor.

So the actual VIN physically on the car can tell you what it is in addition to the screen.

Thats true.. I was thinking of the vin lookup tools and features of the car. I remember on my vin / year the letter for AWD and performance are the same.. which helps me on my insurance lol.

Thanks for the info guys.

The dealer advertised the car as RWD so that's what I bought. I wasn't sure because I see the sticker that said AWD.

I attached a picture of the said sticker. There is one behind the key card and one on the wallet. Maybe dealer put it on?

Attachments

• IMG_20200829_191008.jpg
    IMG_20200829_191008.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 89
Thanks for the info guys.

The dealer advertised the car as RWD so that's what I bought. I wasn't sure because I see the sticker that said AWD.

I attached a picture of the said sticker. There is one behind the key card and one on the wallet. Maybe dealer put it on?
That's definitely a dealer sticker. Glad you weren't swindled though!

Reactions: austinmichaeld