Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD/Dual Motors: What happens when one of the motor fails?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seem to recall that Elon Musk tweeted or said that with AWD, Model 3 would still chug along if one of the motors fails. I guess the driver would notice a difference in performance when that happens, and am wondering if the user interface would actually inform the driver about the motor problem. Any folk have an insight into this?

I seem to recall that Elon Musk tweeted or said that with AWD, Model 3 would still chug along if one of the motors fails. I guess the driver would notice a difference in performance when that happens, and am wondering if the user interface would actually inform the driver about the motor problem. Any folk have an insight into this?

You can do a search of the forum and find threads where owners with dual motor had one of the motors (usually front) fail. The car apparently drives like it's hobbled and it will absolutely throw a bunch of errors on the screen telling you to get the car serviced immediately.