Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD efficiency boost with 2019.24.4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive the same route about 2 times per week. It is about 227 miles. I have AWD with 19" tires. The speed limit is 75 on most of the route. I have been driving the speed limit or less (a lot less last winter) to keep the range. Lately I have been running 290-295 watts per mile. During the winter I would struggle to keep below 310 with the heat off and driving extra slow on cold days (i.e. when in the 30s drive 55 MPH).

I just finished my first run with 2019.24.4. Efficiency ran 252 watts per mile. The best it has ever done on the route. I have 25k miles on the car (mostly from this route). Was it an unusual confluence of events giving crazy efficiency today? Or did they do something with the new update to boost it up?

The only thing I can think of that might make that big a difference would be perhaps cutting power to the front motor when cruising (not accelerating) at high speeds?

I noticed on my commute this morning I averaged 230 Wh/mi. My commute is 25 miles, mostly stop and go highway traffic with bursts of 50-60. I usually average 250-270 Wh/mi. I'll track it this week to see if it was an aberration or if this new update improved the LRAWD efficiency.

Without doing any scientific tests and just driving around town manually in over 100 degree heat and rush hour traffic, I have to say the changes in Wh/m are very noticeable. When you are mainly driving at constant speed manually there does appear to be a much more efficient algorithm being applied now. I easily stayed below 300 Wh/mi on the trip out to a store with a few uphills even after the initial A/C blast set the Wh/Mi for the trip to 1526 wh/mi. On the way back with some minor downhills for the five mile trip I averaged 186 Wh/mi. Those numbers are a definite difference for a Performance Model 3. The A/C was set to 71 and I made no attempt to be conservative at all.

I drive the same route about 2 times per week. It is about 227 miles. I have AWD with 19" tires. The speed limit is 75 on most of the route. I have been driving the speed limit or less (a lot less last winter) to keep the range. Lately I have been running 290-295 watts per mile. During the winter I would struggle to keep below 310 with the heat off and driving extra slow on cold days (i.e. when in the 30s drive 55 MPH).

I just finished my first run with 2019.24.4. Efficiency ran 252 watts per mile. The best it has ever done on the route. I have 25k miles on the car (mostly from this route). Was it an unusual confluence of events giving crazy efficiency today? Or did they do something with the new update to boost it up?

The only thing I can think of that might make that big a difference would be perhaps cutting power to the front motor when cruising (not accelerating) at high speeds?

I would just look at the fleet data from TeslaFi or Stats and see whether an improvement in the Model 3 fleet “average efficiency” is noticeable there, on their plots. The seasonal variations are obvious, so if you see a step up recently, that might be interesting.

I don’t see anything noticeable.

IMG_0100.JPEG IMG_0131.JPEG IMG_0138.JPEG IMG_0199.JPEG IMG_0235.JPEG

I try to take a pic of the odometer every 1000 miles. As you can see June 11 I was at 20k, 24k was July 24, am at 24,800 right now. My watts/mile has slowly been dropping from a high of 307 at 10k miles in February. Winter was tough to go the distance. Now that it is summer I get in the low 290s and the average is down to 296 now.

That is why I was shocked that I was able to drive the route with such low wattage today. I was driving South into a mild headwind too for the first 135 miles then north 30 miles and 50 miles east. 10 miles around town at slower speeds.

Reactions: KenC
View attachment 435483 View attachment 435487 View attachment 435489 View attachment 435493 View attachment 435495

I try to take a pic of the odometer every 1000 miles. As you can see June 11 I was at 20k, 24k was July 24, am at 24,800 right now. My watts/mile has slowly been dropping from a high of 307 at 10k miles in February. Winter was tough to go the distance. Now that it is summer I get in the low 290s and the average is down to 296 now.

That is why I was shocked that I was able to drive the route with such low wattage today. I was driving South into a mild headwind too for the first 135 miles then north 30 miles and 50 miles east. 10 miles around town at slower speeds.

Wow, you drive a lot. Anyway, seems like pretty soon (in a few weeks) you’ll know the answer - if efficiency is much improved it’ll be obvious (and likely not due to environmental factors) with large datasets like yours. Report back with your next 1k datapoint and make a note of when you switched to 2019.24!

After noticing my Wh/mi being lower on my commute in yesterday, my commute home was much the same. Averaged about 235, when I normally would average 250-270.

This morning I drove like a bat out of hell for 18 miles, stop and go the other 6 and I came in at 249 Wh/mi. I'd normally see it up around 290 Wh/mi with that kind of spirited driving. I think there may be something to this.

Yeah, I've gotten my best efficiency and phantom drain numbers ever, since I got the update on the 26th.

My phantom drain has been 0.01m/hr, 0.04m/hr and 0.03m/hr. My historical phantom drain has been 0.23m/hr.

My efficiency has been thru the roof. In the past 3 days, my regular route thru town, I've averaged under 200Wh, where I normally average about 225Wh. In fact, I've never been under 200Wh before, and the last 3 days I've been between 191 and 199Wh. Of course, far too few datapoints to mean much, but these are definitely outliers compared to my past history.

Earlier in the year, I couldn't believe when people said they got under 200Wh, cause it seemed like it would be impossible in my car. My lifetime avg is about 250Wh. In Winter, I averaged about 280Wh. For most of the hot summer, I was in the 220s. According to Stats, my average efficiency was about 113%, but in the last week, my average has shot up to 125%. The last 100 miles alone my efficiency numbers are 136.5% or 184MPGe. Just scrolling thru my past efficiency numbers and I've never been above 125 before.

Another data point. 21 miles r/t today, 192Wh/m. Since the update, 131 miles, 191Wh/m. Lifetime ~6400 miles, 253Wh/m.

Attachments

• IMG_2897 (1).jpg
    IMG_2897 (1).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2898 (1).jpg
    IMG_2898 (1).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2899 (1).jpg
    IMG_2899 (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 95
I’d track rated miles use for a benchmark or energy from the wall for a benchmark run rather than the efficiency the car displays. It’s just a number - doesn’t necessarily reflect actual efficiency. You should cross-check it and calculate the Wh per displayed rated mile, and see whether the answer is still 230Wh/rmi (for AWD). That would assume that nothing had changed on the BMS side of course. The wall energy for a given trip would be more definitive - but you’d have to compare to a relevant prior result.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan Fiala
I'm seeing it too. I note the point above about calculating the actual rated v. driven miles, but I don't have the time or inclination to do the math myself. I'd rather believe my AWD is doing something new that improves efficiency.;)

Yes. Just drive your car and enjoy it! For most people it’s rare that the efficiency actually matters significantly on a daily basis.

Checking back in after dropping the in-laws off at the airport.

I didn’t notice any notable differences in efficiency. I’m on in a performance 3 with the 20” wheels, so I’m pretty sure it would be very noticeable on a less efficient car.