Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD front motor sounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My LR M3 is completely silent with no noises at all. I recently test drove both the AWD and Performance AWD and I didn't hear any noticeable difference in the performance version, however I did definitely hear the front motor noise on the regular AWD.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen
We just took delivery of our AWD 3 and immediately noticed gear whine from the front drive unit. It sounds like my old 1931 Model A without synchromesh, just a lot quieter. You can hear the whine come and go as the gears are loaded and unloaded during acceleration and deceleration. Back seat passengers report they can’t hear it, but it’s borderline annoying from the driver seat IMO.

Thank you for this description. Was trying to find a way to describe what I was hearing, and I think you nailed it, especially with how it's similar to gears being loaded and unloaded.

For me, it's bothersome only when I don't have music playing. Otherwise, it gets drowned out.

FWIW I noticed this high-pitched “beep” immediately in my AWD. It’s most noticeable around 18mph and 35mph. I took it to the Palo Alto SC, and on a test drive one of the techs was able to hear it also. He wasn’t sure if it was normal or not for the 3 since there’s so few of them so far. But he did say from his experience from the S/X the motor noise should be more smooth rather than the pulsating noise mine is making. Because of that, they agreed to preemptively swap out the front motor to see if it goes away. The motor came in last week, and I’m waiting on a loaner car to become available before dropping it off for the swap. Will report back on the results (might be a while though since I have some more paint issues for them to address while it’s there).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RBowen and mblakele
My Model S sounds like that and it is indeed enjoyable. My Model 3 sounds like my 1931 Ford, and would be right at home in a historical film lol.

Perhaps what I'm hearing in my P3D- is closer to what you hear with your Model S, because the noise is still subdued and never requires drowning it out with music.

Regardless, good luck with the appointment - in addition to weighing in on whether or not it's considered an issue, hopefully you can also get some clarification of AWD vs. P3D's AWD noise factor based on the tech's experience.

FWIW I noticed this high-pitched “beep” immediately in my AWD. It’s most noticeable around 18mph and 35mph <snip> Because of that, they agreed to preemptively swap out the front motor to see if it goes away. The motor came in last week, and I’m waiting on a loaner car to become available before dropping it off for the swap. Will report back on the results (might be a while though since I have some more paint issues for them to address while it’s there).

Please do, since first posting this I've read some who have the sound and some who do not - don't want to take my car out of service (to go to service) w/o a good cause. If yours comes back quieter that's my hint to get to service and have it checked out..

thanks!

We have an AWD Model 3 (non-performance) delivered on September 7, 2018 that also exhibits front wheel motor beep and whine. It was particularly noticeable on delivery day, but I believe that it has subsided with time. That said, if I turn off the radio and listen for it, I can hear the motor freewheeling when not under load and "beeps" as the computer selectively routes power to the motor under load. I don't hear whine at high speeds though, presumably because the road noise here in New England can be pretty high due to rough surfaces.

The sound from the Model 3 is different from the clear high-pitched whine I get on my 90D under load. That said, I think some of that comes from the driver's seating position being closer to the front motor on the model 3 and therefore providing more audio detail.

We will be making a service appointment to deal with another minor issue on the Model 3 (namely, our steering wheel being mounted slightly askew), we we'll ask the Dedham MA service center to look at it, and we'll report back what they say.

Last edited:
Got my order in. Delivery says Nov-Jan. I’m wondering if this is normal and just that there is less sound deadening than a model S in the front? And also the motor being closer?

If this does end up being a “widespread” conpaint, and it’s not an actual issue with the motor..... I’m sure there will be aftermarket kits to address the sound and/or DIY methods of deadening the sound (may do it myself) haha.

That said, I do like the sound the front motor makes on the loaner Model S P90DL I have. It’s noticable when i want to accelerate fast, but quiet when needed (highway etc).

I dont have a AWD but my mobile ranger told me that in the M3 the rear motor and the front motor are different types and generations. The front motor is the old style unit that came from the model S as opposed to the rear motor which is the new design. They were having sync/timing issue so the quick fix to get the AWD to production was to use a different motor in the front.

• Informative
Reactions: Eclipse3EB
I had a Model S P85+ before and have driven a RW Model 3, 90D Model S, Model X and test drove a P3D+ non of them had the high pitch whining that I hear on my P3D+. I noticed it 5 sec after I drove her off the lot and figured it would go away, maybe the gears breaking in or something.
Like jimmyz80's observations, mine is also under light load and modulates with light throttle. Can't hear that sound under heavy acceleration but a different one shows up under heavy throttle (which I am used to hearing from the other teslas). I tried to record it but I can't hear it on the iPhone recording.

I dont have a AWD but my mobile ranger told me that in the M3 the rear motor and the front motor are different types and generations. The front motor is the old style unit that came from the model S as opposed to the rear motor which is the new design. They were having sync/timing issue so the quick fix to get the AWD to production was to use a different motor in the front.

I think that is (mostly?) true... But what I heard was that they needed to use induction motor on one side so that it could "torque sleep" (freewheel without making power) for cruising efficiency.
Apparently the new type of synchronous motor is not able to "torque sleep". Unlike with P-AWD Model S & X, where the rear motor does most of the hard acceleration off the line, I think it ends up reversed in the Model 3, where front motor does the "heavy lifting" off the line, and the rear motor is used for cruising efficiency once you are up to speed, and then the front motor "goes to sleep" until you need hard acceleration again.

I am not sure if they ever intended to use the new ("gen 3" as you may call it) synchronous motors for both front and rear on AWD.

• Informative
Reactions: stayfocus18
I think that is (mostly?) true... But what I heard was that they needed to use induction motor on one side so that it could "torque sleep" (freewheel without making power) for cruising efficiency.
Apparently the new type of synchronous motor is not able to "torque sleep". Unlike with P-AWD Model S & X, where the rear motor does most of the hard acceleration off the line, I think it ends up reversed in the Model 3, where front motor does the "heavy lifting" off the line, and the rear motor is used for cruising efficiency once you are up to speed, and then the front motor "goes to sleep" until you need hard acceleration again.

I am not sure if they ever intended to use the new ("gen 3" as you may call it) synchronous motors for both front and rear on AWD.
Since the rear motor alone can accelerate 0-60 in 5.1s so I'm pretty sure that it's used for most of the acceleration and cruising. Having a front wheel drive bias on the AWD system would make the car handle like crap.
Induction motors are cheaper and can torque sleep so it makes sense to use them for the front.

I have a friend working at tesla that has experienced many models 3s, performance, non p dual motor, rwd. He drove my car today and said to take the car in. We spent some time recording it, sitting in the front and back seat and it looks like it is coming from the front.