Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD front motor sounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The motor whine is due to the different motor technology. The front motor is an AC Induction motor with lots of eddy currents + iron core losses. The rear motor is far more efficient switch reluctance motor that has literally zero iron core losses. The "whine" we hear from the front motor is likely from those eddy currents.

I had an uncle named Eddy. Honestly I did.

He was really nice.....just like the eddy sounds.

Go figure...

I found a video of someone recording the front motor pulsing sound that I hear. Turn the volume up because it's faint. It's most evident around 0:13-0:15 when he's at 33mph.

It's a faint high pitch pulsing - and not a steady whine like you may hear instead at higher or lower speeds. The faint pulsing sound almost sounds like a bad bearing and happens at certain speeds.

As far as I know this is completely normal and I hear it too. Is this the same sound others hear?

It's hard to say, but this doesn't sound like what I'm hearing exactly. It's possible that at 33mph it sounds similar but the video doesn't go on long enough.

Whine - the more amps, the louder it is - Good in my book. I like it. EDIT: Also probably higher pitched.
Quiet pulsing noises, particularly when not under load/coasting - these are quiet and ok for me.
Quiet gear noises at low speed - Fine in my book. Have to be going pretty slowly to hear the gears (or whatever it is - sounds like a very very quiet, less whiney version of an ICE car in reverse.)
Roaring/droning (seems to be from the front motor area, it doesn't seem to be tires or dependent on the road surface) between about 37mph and 41mph - Not great. It's not super annoying, but if I'm not playing music I notice it, and deliberately avoid those speeds.

Last edited:
It's hard to say, but this doesn't sound like what I'm hearing exactly. It's possible that at 33mph it sounds similar but the video doesn't go on long enough.

Whine - the more amps, the louder it is - Good in my book. I like it.
Quiet pulsing noises, particularly when not under load/coasting - these are quiet and ok for me.
Quiet gear noises at low speed - Fine in my book. Have to be going pretty slowly to hear the gears (or whatever it is - sounds like a very very quiet, less whiney version of an ICE car in reverse.)
Roaring/droning (seems to be from the front motor area, it doesn't seem to be tires or dependent on the road surface) between about 37mph and 41mph - Not great. It's not super annoying, but if I'm not playing music I notice it, and deliberately avoid those speeds.

I guess the best way to describe is is to try to record the sound like in the video I posted. The sound I hear is specifically the pulsing whrr-whrr that if you start the video I posted at 0:12 you can hear at 0:13.

I guess the best way to describe is is to try to record the sound like in the video I posted. The sound I hear is specifically the pulsing whrr-whrr that if you start the video I posted at 0:12 you can hear at 0:13.

Yeah I've been meaning to get around to it, but I haven't because I never remember to do so, and then it's a safety issue to try to do it at 40mph on the occasions I do remember. It's also not that important and I haven't had passengers comment on it. One of these days!

Whine - the more amps, the louder it is - Good in my book. I like it.

My whine is different.

The more amps..the higher pitch it is.

My whine is different.

The more amps..the higher pitch it is.

Mine definitely increases in pitch as well, I think as speed increases. But I think the more the go pedal is mashed the louder it is. Like I said, I like this sound! It's great.

I guess I can pay closer attention to the exact behavior but this one is a good sound so really doesn't matter.

I hear the exact sound that you have in the video. My first car was at the same speed (around 35 MPH) and my second car is around 65 mph. Makes like a high pitched beeping sound.

I found a video of someone recording the front motor pulsing sound that I hear. Turn the volume up because it's faint. It's most evident around 0:13-0:15 when he's at 33mph.

It's a faint high pitch pulsing - and not a steady whine like you may hear instead at higher or lower speeds. The faint pulsing sound almost sounds like a bad bearing and happens at certain speeds.

As far as I know this is completely normal and I hear it too. Is this the same sound others hear?

Hey

Did you find a fix?

I have the same issue.

Use max volume:

I think it's completely normal.

I second that, totally normal, as Model S drivers out here have a small list of noises that take a long time to digest. AC is one of the most noticeable, especially on hot days at stops. Wind, Motor Gear Drive front motor(which I actually love that sound), no other prominent noises.

The things that really amaze me though, very little other noises that for such a quiet car, creaks and rattles do not exist. Thats a testament to how well they are all built. Any other American car rattles and creaks like crazy. In an electric car you would notice this in seconds and it might drive you crazy. You for sure might think twice about buying it also.

I second that, totally normal, as Model S drivers out here have a small list of noises that take a long time to digest. AC is one of the most noticeable, especially on hot days at stops. Wind, Motor Gear Drive front motor(which I actually love that sound), no other prominent noises.

The things that really amaze me though, very little other noises that for such a quiet car, creaks and rattles do not exist. Thats a testament to how well they are all built. Any other American car rattles and creaks like crazy. In an electric car you would notice this in seconds and it might drive you crazy. You for sure might think twice about buying it also.

Thanks for writing. I really want want to believe you - I do. But I just can't understand, why some model 3 owners don't have that bip/whistle noise?

please listen to this clip with max volume. mic. is pretty bad.

Thanks