Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD front motor sounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had it on full blast, if that mild ringing, gear noise is what your talking about, intermittent mixed with gear sound.

Unfortunately you'll have to live with it. Its inherent in the car and it sounds like quite a few other model 3. You ever listen to the radio? How about AC or open the window. DO those things and tell me if it goes away. I think your listening way too hard for something thats part of a model 3. I'll try to post AC noise in Model S, now thats a freight train in comparison to your sound. Posting soon.

I had it on full blast, if that mild ringing, gear noise is what your talking about, intermittent mixed with gear sound.

Unfortunately you'll have to live with it. Its inherent in the car and it sounds like quite a few other model 3. You ever listen to the radio? How about AC or open the window. DO those things and tell me if it goes away. I think your listening way too hard for something thats part of a model 3. I'll try to post AC noise in Model S, now thats a freight train in comparison to your sound. Posting soon.

Thanks. Yea, I turn the radio on, but sometimes it is actually so annoying and cutting that I can't concentrate.

Well, thanks anyway, I guess I must capitulate (strange thing is, that the first 7-14 days it was pretty silent).

Btw. Using AC don't help, and opening the window will just result in a lot of road noise there will outshout the ringing/noise.

Now this is the noise you hear in Model S on hot days at traffic lights. The sound is clear inside the car. We all complain about it. If you listen to the radio it goes drowns it out quite a bit. As soon as you press the go pedal it goes away. This sound is way more distinct then this sound you are relating. This is not my car and its extreme in the enclosed environment. I lifted this video from another posting old it may be.

The point is all cars makes sounds, you either live with the inherent sounds a particular car makes or you don't. Choice remains with you.

SO when I hear the sweet whirring of my front Drive motor at 72MPH, its the sweetest tone I can imagine. Humming away down the road for thousand and thousands of miles.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Toke_Holledig
@Toke_Holledig has the noise come back for you yet, or did the new drive unit fix it for good? :)
Hey!

I have been hearing some whining noise at low speeds, actually at times with low battery for some reason. But not at all the same crazy high pich noise there almost gave me a tinnitus before.

Ill let you know if it comes back. Haven't been drivning to much lately. Maybe 2-3000 Km.

Sounds like they never determined where the noise was actually coming from.
I know it was the front drive unit, but did they ever determine what in the from drive unit was emitting the noise ?

Not to my knowledge. They just replaced the DU and the noise was gone. To the story, they forgot to put it right together and give it unit oil, so the car was squeaking a lot.

To be honest, and after a handfull visits to the service center, I must admit, the service is fine but the "engenners" here in Denmark have little knowledge and experience. Especially when it comes to model 3.

They work a lot through. We have no demand problem here. Jesus.

Br.
Toke