Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD LR EAP Owner confused about Full Self Driving Option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a AWD LR with EAP, version 2019.8.5. I don't have time to monitor twitter and am confused.

How much would it cost me prior to May 1 to upgrade to FSD?

What are the benefits to updating to FSD?

What changes and when would Tesla make to my M3 in order to install the upgrade to FSD?

Thanks!

I have a AWD LR with EAP, version 2019.8.5. I don't have time to monitor twitter and am confused.

What changes and when would Tesla make to my M3 in order to install the upgrade to FSD?

Thanks!

I have the same vehicle and registered(?) for FSD before April 1 by logging into my Tesla.com account, selecting "Manage" and I believe it offered FSD as a purchase option. That or you need to select "View Details" after you are on the "Manage" page.

I can no longer see the option, but it should be there and show you how much it costs for you. Good luck!

Thanks!

For now there would be no changes except a software update. At some point in the future you would get a computer hardware update but there is no timeline for that.

Since you already have EAP, and will continue to get minor updates and improvements to EAP, in my opinion the principal advantage to upgrading to FSDC is that, someday, your car will be able to drive itself just about all roads in addition to the freeway/restricted access highway driving you can do now with EAP.

I realize that EAP allows you to engage Auto Pilot on some city streets and roads with cross traffic, but it cannot now nor is it likely to ever be able to reliably detect cross traffic and read all road signs and traffic signals. That level of functionality will I believe remain reserved for FSDC.

I do not see a reason for EAP owners to pay the additional cost of getting FSDC (when it is really useful, at some point in the future) unless they feel they are unsafe drivers.

I will definitely want FSDC in 20 years. I don’t need it now. :rolleyes:

Elon recently talked about Tesla’s with FSDC being able to be part of the “Tesla Network” where people can rent out their cars and they will serve as autonomous taxis. There is a formal announcement about that scheduled for April 22. We shall see...

Reactions: Runnergirl
I do not see a reason for EAP owners to pay the additional cost of getting FSDC (when it is really useful, at some point in the future) unless they feel they are unsafe drivers.
I strongly disagree with this for two core reasons.

1) Just because I like driving, which I very much do, and am at least a reasonably safe driver, which my driving record (and job as a school bus driver) supports, doesn't mean I always want to drive. The correlation of wanting to physically move to some other miles distant location and having the inclination to drive is only loosely tied. Factors here involve what I'm thinking about, the kind of road the trip involves, and just my mood. This is already very much the case with EAP, and FSD will only enhance my options.

2) Being a "safe driver" in a human sense does not necessarily preclude FSD being safer than me in practice in some kinds of situations, or potentially at some point nearly all situations. It doesn't even have to be an either-or, thing. Frankly right now it is very reasonable to expect that utilizing EAP makes me a safer driver over long distance trips. I certainly feel more alert and aware of the larger context in which I'm driving. Both in the moment and in noting how I'm reacting to unexpected or unusual events.